rllmuk
djbhammer

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare

There’s always a honeymoon period. Advanced Warfare was raved about for a week and shat on ever since. No matter how good COD is, a significant part of the fan base (not to mention Activision) will always seek to ruin it.

The only published reviews so far are from sites who attended the game's "review event", and they're only luke-warm to fairly positive so far. Nothing that's screaming at me to buy the game. Campaign seems decent but there are question marks over the MP modes (no FFA yet!) map design (either great or terrible, though it seems a bit early to be calling that) and TTK. Spec Ops seems dire.

Probably best to sit it out for a couple of weeks for the honeymoon period to wear off, but of course by that time every fucker will know the maps intimately and be all levelled up. Ungggh.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The only published reviews so far are from sites who attended the game's "review event", and they're only luke-warm to fairly positive so far. Nothing that's screaming at me to buy the game. Campaign seems decent but there are question marks over the MP modes (no FFA yet!) map design (either great or terrible, though it seems a bit early to be calling that) and TTK. Spec Ops seems dire.

Probably best to sit it out for a couple of weeks for the honeymoon period to wear off, but of course by that time every fucker will know the maps intimately and be all levelled up. Ungggh.

Did you play the Beta?

For me that was enough to make it the first CoD I have pre-ordered in bloody years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DC Lemon said:

There’s always a honeymoon period. Advanced Warfare was raved about for a week and shat on ever since. No matter how good COD is, a significant part of the fan base (not to mention Activision) will always seek to ruin it.

One of the big probles with CoD is that they never, ever get the balancing right. They're always to-ing and fro-ing. Blops IIII was incredible for like a month before they fucked it and also added in the microtransaction fuckery.

7 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Did you play the Beta?

For me that was enough to make it the first CoD I have pre-ordered in bloody years.

Dipped a toe in, but not enough to decide if I liked it. Looked promising though. I want to buy it but don't want to get burned, again.

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Dipped a toe in, but not enough to decide if I liked it. Looked promising though. I want to buy it but don't want to get burned, again.

I was super skeptical but by the end of the weekend I was entirely on board. It's such a difference from recent CoDs, even WWII. The problem I have is I don't trust Activision to fuck it up despite all their noise about 'only cosmetics'. However it has to be said if anyone's got the foresight to see where all this lootbox regulation talk it'll be a monstrous company like Activision, so who knows.

2 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Bit early for that, no? Honeymoon or genuinely great? On the fence about this but definitely could be swayed.

nah no knee jerk, really really solid and they've got rid of the horrible stuff, quick scoping, jump shooting, etc its gone back to what made the early games classics.

2 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I can't see what's so controversial that it'll cause a fuss. It's not exactly No Russian as you're playing as the good guys and the sight of terrorists attacking a major city isn't exactly new. We (unfortunately) had London Has Fallen a few years ago where the entirety of the Met were all secret terrorists so I doubt this will register.

It's been the highlight of the game so far for me.

no doubt, but the daily mail brigade will be all over it.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, K said:

Six packets of Doritos for £13?!

Check out the supply crate box though! Plus XP codes.

There's form as we all know.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.a01ea8a11d688c6f6f54b8ae57cd0508.jpg

Finished the campaign (on regular difficulty, I can't be arsed with any higher than that) and thought it was really good.  The first mission is balls to the wall and then whilst it's obviously action packed there's a nice bit of variation in there from the usual stealth to setpieces not done in COD before.  One of my favourites being

you're helping guide the Ambassadors assistant inside an Embassy to escape from terrorists shooting up the place by only using cameras and giving her directions to keep her safe

It'll not change your mind as far as COD games go if you don't like COD but if you enjoy COD campaigns it's well worth playing.  Infinity Ward always seem to do campaigns I really enjoy, with this and Infinite Warfare being my favourite campaigns since COD4.

One thing I never really understood was all this 'shocking' stuff that came from the press during previews.  Nothing really stood out as being really bad tbh.  I guess the most obvious thing is

as a kid having to run about your house playing hide and seek to kill a russian solder who murdered your mother and father

but can't say I found it really offputting or anything and least that showed how the character came to be/their past.  If anything I always found Treyarch to go for the more 'hacky' route such a nice closeup of someone burning in a car (Black Ops 1 or 2) and in Black Ops 1 one of the characters putting a glass into someones mouth and them punching them to smash it.

Another thing I really liked and thought was really cool was the cinematic transitions from ingame cutscene to gameplay, absolutely seamless and worked really well.

Only played a little bit of multiplayer and no Spec Ops yet so can't speak to them too much and as always there's the initial honeymoon period but I can say two things.  Really enjoyed the campaign and the gun sounds are pure sex, amazing sound.

• Upvote 1

Been installing for ages now why won’t it let me play campaign while I wait grr 

off to take dog for a walk instead roll on stadia 

55 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Installing on Xbox and it’s effectively pausing the disc instal to do the download. Is that normal?

Same thing is happening here. I wonder how much data is actually on the disc, since the main game data, which takes up 68,85 GB, is downloaded and not installing from disc?

3 hours ago, Dave White said:

nah no knee jerk, really really solid and they've got rid of the horrible stuff, quick scoping, jump shooting, etc its gone back to what made the early games classics.

Bought and installing - this is on you!

2 hours ago, Okotta said:

Same thing is happening here. I wonder how much data is actually on the disc, since the main game data, which takes up 68,85 GB, is downloaded and not installing from disc?

I think there's very little on the disc that isn't being overwritten and it's also pausing from-disc installation to focus on online. I have a reasonably fast connection so that may affect it.

That said, it's still installing!

Just now, Dave White said:

ill stand by it, gun game is absolutely amazing fun!! me and @RickyDVT had so much fun before.

Heh, looking forward to it - should be installed by Sunday. Do you have to install the Spec Ops packs for the "full install" that the campaign requires?

6 hours ago, Dave White said:

no doubt, but the daily mail brigade will be all over it.

I’m curious to see how you feel about this as the game progresses in maturity and lifespan. 

Because we now have the perspective of having played both the classics in the past and the jet pack generation of AW onwards. Even though BO4 lacked the more extreme movement of BO3, it was still a fast fluid and overall sat at the more arcade end of the spectrum - MW sits at really the polar opposite - and I look forward to seeing the community’s overall opinion on the game as time progresses.

i have played a handful of matches so far (skipped the beta) and I’ll be honest I bought it more out of habit than bursting excitement or anticipation, but I remain open. I’ll definitely post up some detailed thoughts once I feel a bit better acquainted with the game. 

Done a bit of the Campaign, the visuals in HDR are stunning but the Atmos sound is incredible!!  When choppers fly overhead....man I almost looked up to see them pass over, lol.

Multiplayer though. :(

I just haven't got the reflexes to shoot as soon as I see someone resulting in a lot of frustration sadly. I'll finish the campaign and of course give the MP a few more goes, but if still not enjoying I'll be ditching it and going back to Apex where I've started to get good and definitely enjoy playing.

• Upvote 1

Unlike the rest of Earth I’ve never really been into this in multiplayer. Getting pulped by tweens and trolls while I figure out which button is throw grenade has never appealed much.

Love a good Infinity Ward campaign though, and the score attack after-game stuff.

My Xbox install is all over the place.

Originally Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was 76GB with 4 more separate packs - Campaign Pack 1 (11GB), Campaign Pack 2 (16GB), Multiplayer Pack (6GB), and Spec Ops Pack (12GB). I then got an update message and now Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has started again and it's only 22GB in size.

1 hour ago, Pug said:

Done a bit of the Campaign, the visuals in HDR are stunning but the Atmos sound is incredible!!  When choppers fly overhead....man I almost looked up to see them pass over, lol.

Multiplayer though. :(

I just haven't got the reflexes to shoot as soon as I see someone resulting in a lot of frustration sadly. I'll finish the campaign and of course give the MP a few more goes, but if still not enjoying I'll be ditching it and going back to Apex where I've started to get good and definitely enjoy playing.

Give yourself time to learn the maps. A good chunk of deaths will be to running round corners and some cunt being ready for you but that all comes by playing the maps and learning where the spots are, lines of sight, all that gumf.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Give yourself time to learn the maps. A good chunk of deaths will be to running round corners and some cunt being ready for you but that all comes by playing the maps and learning where the spots are, lines of sight, all that gumf.

Yep. Best advice I ever had was to stop running around looking for kills and let them come to you. ADS when going around corners. Learn the natural flow of the maps and go against it.

• Upvote 1

Good advice.

I get killed by a camper and just end up shouting, "How can sitting in a corner just waiting for someone fun!!!"

I know I need to slow myself down as most of my deaths are whilst I'm running about.