rllmuk
djbhammer

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare

9 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

I can’t say the campaign as a whole has been as good as Infinite Warfare’s so far but two of the missions will be added to any list of the most memorable in the entire franchise.

It helps that it looks as good as it does and for once HDR actually means HDR at launch rather than a washed out image that’s worse than with it turned off.

Which 2?

I’d say is the best looking console game I’ve ever played. The quality of the visuals is just ridiculously impressive given the hardware it’s running off. 

Makes me kind of scared / excited at what the next gen will be able to achieve (eventually). If the leap is as big as rumoured imagine in game if they could hit similar quality to the cut scenes in this game...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jonnycash said:

So is everyone having the shutdowns on Xbox one X or just a few. It happened to me twice last night. 

Not one but I did repaste mine a while ago.

don't know what happened last night but got a few spots of lag,  hope its a temporary thing. Not had any of that stupid magic bullets stuff and poor hit detection so far. I changed my go to of TDM last year to domination and find you get less of that shot in the back stuff and spawn camping.

I love how sniping has retuned to a skill based affair and they've got rid of quick scoping. I completely stand by this is the best one since cod4 and mw2 and every year my hope of back to boots on the ground has been totally realised.

• Upvote 3

Good sign when you wake up and jump straight back into the game you were playing until midnight. I've really enjoyed the random playlist and playing modes I never usually pick, I'm finding it a gentler way of learning the maps and levelling up than just maining FFA like I usually would. Which is the mode where you carry a bomb to a destination and guard it? Love that. Enjoying all of the maps so far, had some amazingly tense stand offs and holding buildings down, it feels way more strategic and solid than CoD has been for ages.

Putting a solid day into this now. Lovely.

50 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Not one but I did repaste mine a while ago.

It's not that my console is overheating it's like an error or something. My Xbox turns off and then turns on but no over heating sign.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

I’d say is the best looking console game I’ve ever played. The quality of the visuals is just ridiculously impressive given the hardware it’s running off. 

Makes me kind of scared / excited at what the next gen will be able to achieve (eventually). If the leap is as big as rumoured imagine in game if they could hit similar quality to the cut scenes in this game...

There's something about the lighting that makes fire and flames seem brighter and more real than anything I've seen before, some of the mortar explosions and rocket attacks are straight out of a movie. Looks like top-end VFX. It's hard to process that this is happening in real time and not pre-rendered, there's a level of detail and polish that I've not seen before. Amazing.

I haven’t bought a cod game since the one in space .

loving this though It’s the little things I got killed cause I was watching a train go by overhead rather than looking for my next target . 

and jumped out of my skin when a ran round a corner and a chicken was startled 

The campaign was good but there was a lot of it that - whilst interesting - I’d have no interest in playing again. Just very lengthy playable cut scenes and exposition.

Is this for me? I've never played a CoD before but like multiplayer shooters and single player campaigns. Any disadvantages in not knowing the series? 

3 hours ago, Jonnycash said:

So is everyone having the shutdowns on Xbox one X or just a few. It happened to me twice last night. 

IW have posted that they are working with MS on a fix.

6 minutes ago, alex3d said:

I've never played a CoD before but like multiplayer shooters

That's rather unusual, isn't it? You should definitely give this a go, it's a lot of fun in multiplayer despite a few annoyances. 

As for single player /campaign - its flashy and noisy, but restricted in gameplay. Its a very traditional FPS at heart and has frequent sections where you have to learn how to get through by tral and error. Not saying it's bad, but it doesnt have the freedom and feel of a Halo or Titanfall or similar. 

• Upvote 1

It's interesting, I noticed this game's subreddit is absolutely full of people who hate it. As far as I can tell it seems the switch to much slower, more deliberate gameplay which punishes players who just around everywhere in the MP really annoys the younger people, who are so indoctrinated into the 'everyone run forever' twitchy jumpy no scope dropshot bullshit style of the last few games that they think CoD should always be like that and they can't adjust. You know, the kind of people who call thinking about your position and being cautious and using awareness of your surroundings 'camping'. 

I really hope IW ignore those complaints because I think they might have something special here. Black Ops4 for example had almost Halo-esque time to kill which made that game quite frustrating at times, thankfully that's back down to a proper amount now. 

15 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It's interesting, I noticed this game's subreddit is absolutely full of people who hate it. As far as I can tell it seems the switch to much slower, more deliberate gameplay which punishes players who just around everywhere in the MP really rubs the younger people who are so indoctrinated into the 'everyone run forever' twitchy jumpy no scope dropshot bullshit style of the last few games that they think CoD should always be like that and they can't adjust. You know, the kind of people who call thinking about your position and being cautious and using awareness of your surroundings 'camping'. 

I really hope IW ignore those complaints because I think they might have something special here. Black Ops4 for example had almost Halo-esque time to kill which made that game quite frustrating at times, thankfully that's back down to a proper amount now. 

There is always a core of CoD players that hate the new iteration. Always. They're the vocal minority and I trust the Devs to filter the signal noise. What a lot of the screamers don't realise is that they don't just change shit because they're bawling their eyes out, they have the data to back it up. I can't believe any change is kneejerk outside of the noise backing up the numbers.

41 minutes ago, alex3d said:

Is this for me? I've never played a CoD before but like multiplayer shooters and single player campaigns. Any disadvantages in not knowing the series? 

It’s a reboot and even if it weren’t, I don’t think it would matter. Roughly the same consequence of going to see Hobbs and Shaw without seeing the fast and furious films first.

I'm enjoying it , looks and  plays really nicely. I think its twitchy enough still (I certainly get owned by everyone 1v1) but also allows some slower more tactical play which blops didn't really have at all. 

One thing that really bugs me is that the ammo box / dead silence perks are set outside of the class system so you can't build your classes properly. As the functionality crosses over between these I think they should def be customisable per class.

Ie if I have ammo box, there is no point In  using scavenger on any class, I like to hav3 dead silence and scavenger on one class but want ammo box and eod on my other class grrr

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, deerokus said:

It's interesting, I noticed this game's subreddit is absolutely full of people who hate it. As far as I can tell it seems the switch to much slower, more deliberate gameplay which punishes players who just around everywhere in the MP really rubs the younger people who are so indoctrinated into the 'everyone run forever' twitchy jumpy no scope dropshot bullshit style of the last few games that they think CoD should always be like that and they can't adjust. You know, the kind of people who call thinking about your position and being cautious and using awareness of your surroundings 'camping'. 

Everything they hate about this new one I consider to be fantastic. 

After the laggy, jumpy, hardscoping mess of BLOPS 4 this is a bit of a revelation. Best thing is definitely the slower, more tactical  pace along with the far more sensible TTK. I'm pretty sure the netcode is a lot tighter too as with this when I shoot at someone they get hit wheras in BLOPS it felt like a 50/50 chance (although that may be due to the OTT TTK). Streaks seem way less game wrecking than in the last BLOPS too so that's a bonus although I'd still very much like a gunplay only mode..

Stand out maps so far are Petrograd, the Hackney one, and the Caves. There are a few that are just way too big for TDM typoe modes though. That said, I am finding the bombed out location asthetic a little boring but assume that is tied to the maps being derived from Campaign locations. Hopefully, DLC maps will allow a little more fun and variety in locale.

I started the Campaign but after a few levels am already bored with it so that will be sidelined just as every other COD campaign has been.

• Upvote 2

The sub reddit is a mess. I've been told that I shouldn't voice my opinion incase the devs take it seriously and ruin the game even more for everyone :lol: I was only saying that the jump-round-corner thing that people do looks daft and spoils the immersion... 

I've played this two days straight now. So long, weekend. 

22 minutes ago, Wallace said:

The sub reddit is a mess. I've been told that I shouldn't voice my opinion incase the devs take it seriously and ruin the game even more for everyone :lol: I was only saying that the jump-round-corner thing that people do looks daft and spoils the immersion... 

I think it's full of angry kids

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

The jump function should be removed full

stop . There is literally no need for it .  Just have a button that lets you mantle things .

• Upvote 4

The multi is glorious. It would be a terrible shame if it got ruined because of feedback from hyperactive kids that want the bunny hopping quickscoping to return. Just had some of the most tactical, slow paced and rewarding matches that I've ever played in a CoD game. I love it. Cyber Attack is my current fancy.

+1 for removing the jump button. great idea.

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

The jump function should be removed full

stop . There is literally no need for it .  Just have a button that lets you mantle things .

There are some instances where a running jump is useful to get across some rooftops or other gaps so I don't think I'd remove it entirely. If they removed the accuracy of your shots so that it was pointless to even try it then the kiddos would stop doing it. 

• Upvote 1

I've not seen any of the jump nonsense so far. Black Ops 4 was a fairly decent game overall but it had an infuriating amount of that crap.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Wallace said:

There are some instances where a running jump is useful to get across some rooftops or other gaps so I don't think I'd remove it entirely. If they removed the accuracy of your shots so that it was pointless to even try it then the kiddos would stop doing it. 

They could make jump to bridge gaps a context sensitive command ; mantle if you are in front or something , jump when there is a gap . 

let’s face it though , us oldies aren’t the target audience . 

14 hours ago, deerokus said:

Has anyone actually managed to add anyone to the cross-platform friends list? They seem to have hidden it rather unintuitively under sub-menus and 8 don't think anything obvious pops up to tell you about a request, so no one can find my requests. Or maybe it is broken. 

By the end of the night I could tell the good players had arrived, got murdered on that very confusing grezna raid map

It turns out there is some kind of bug, somehow my Activision account didn't have the numbers attached which it seems to need to identify properly. Changing the name seemed to fix it (at least judging by the companion app which has friends now showing, haven't been on to play yet). 

So if you have this problem, poke about with changing your Activision name or something. 

11 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

They could make jump to bridge gaps a context sensitive command ; mantle if you are in front or something , jump when there is a gap . 

let’s face it though , us oldies aren’t the target audience . 

Who is it aimed at though?

This game is definitely not aimed at the Fortnite generation.

I feel like it’s aimed at those who played the original - released in 2007. And I’d say that probably means those born probably no later than around 1995.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kthxbliz said:

Who is it aimed at though?

This game is definitely not aimed at the Fortnite generation.

I feel like it’s aimed at those who played the original - released in 2007. And I’d say that probably means those born probably no later than around 1995.

My oldest son was 4 by then :D

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

I've not seen any of the jump nonsense so far. Black Ops 4 was a fairly decent game overall but it had an infuriating amount of that crap.

that shit was making my blood boil and ruined the game until they fixed it., took so long though.

This is the first cod were my vocal expletives have only been "good shot!" Rather than some potty mouth barrage of filth of past versions in the series.

• Upvote 1