rllmuk
djbhammer

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare

I've played a few more games and the netcode is all over the shop.  I've had both great and laggy games.  The spawning also needs sorted out as half the time you're getting dropped in no man's land.

I quite enjoyed the beta, liking the slowed down, more tactial gamplay. Weapons have real weight to them, and the customisation aspects are good.

But.

I did find myself thinking, right I've played this now. Outside of levelling up do I really need to buy this to do more of the same?

THe answer is probably no.

I thought today was the last day, but that could have finished at 5pm.

It left me cold. It's alright and the lack of gimmicks is refreshing but the bad spawns, camping opportunities and terrible netcode were a bit of a kick in the bollocks. If it were anyone else I'd be hopeful that they make some positive changes and I guess we'll see what next weekend brings, but seeing as at launch black ops was enthusiastically received and  then started a spiral into awfulness and microtransaction fuckery I'm not holding much hope for this not to repeat itself. As usual, I hope I'm wrong but I think Activision are gonna Activision.

If someone other than you is doing it, it’s camping. 

This definitely feels like a return to first principles but that also means it feels a bit too old-fashioned. I have played it before, and liked it a lot better back then. 

If I don’t also get to be 28, child-free and unemployed then what’s the point. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Whats the difference between camping and strategically holding a position?

Probably not much, but seeing as it's been developed out of FSP'S over the last ten years having it back is really jarring and no sir I don't like it.

Mr._Horse.jpg.c0641478fc4cbed1a01a17223c8972ea.jpg

Well I liked the beta overall!  It wasn't perfect by any means, but the good definitely outweighed the bad for me and I'm hopeful I can finally wipe the bad taste of BO4 out of my mouth and get back into COD on a daily basis like a few years ago.

The good:

- Graphics: this the best that COD has ever looked IMO

- The guns and gunsmith: Spent a lot of my time making different class setups with the same guns but with different attachments and perks to see the variations and results.  I have high hopes for this.  The guns themselves also feel real meaty and it's the first time in a while that I feel the submachine guns and shotguns will be just as used as ARs (kind of like how MW2 was).

- The maps:  I know there's a lot of hate at the moment about the fact the maps don't have the traditional 3 lane design etc.  To me, I prefer these kinds of asymmetrical maps as they remind me of some of my favourites from MW2 like Aghan, Estate, Favela.  Irregular shapes, places to hide and take a breather.  Once you learnt them, they start making a lot more sense and you can rack up some kills.  Also, new maps that will be introduced during the games lifecycle will be FREE.

- The killstreaks: Once I got over the personal UAV / UAV / Predator missile combo and unlocked some of the higher streaks like the VTOL (basically harriers from MW2) and the Pavelow one, they felt extremely effective.  I love me some overpowered killstreaks.

- The different modes: I thoroughly enjoyed testing out night mode and the 2v2 gunfight modes.  Can't wait for next weekend when Ground War 32v32 is introduced!  Also, I'm sure they will have a Battle Royale map ready if not by launch then early next year.

- Crossplay - can't wait to see if this really ends up working.

The bad that a lot of people are complaining about:

- Lag: First day I experienced a bit of lag, but nothing more than normal.  The rest of the 3 days felt smooth as butter (I'm on Middle Eastern servers though so it could be different for Europe and the States).  Think this should be sorted out by the game's release.

- The mini-map.  Really not sure why Infinity Ward broke something that didn't need fixing.  The compass / different minimap combo they went with don't do it for me and hopefully they go back to the way the minimap has always been.

- The respawing - I don't want to wait 5 seconds to jump back in the game. Needs to be fixed.

- The spawns: sometimes the spawns were ridiculously shit, but Inifinity Ward claimed that it will be sorted by the time the game releases

- Camping: yes, there was a lot of camping.  But I have a simple solution - they can just change the way the Ghost perk works.  Currently, they just don't show up on the minimap at all.  Change it so that they show up if they don't move out of a building or aren't moving at all for more than 3 seconds.

Overall, it's just a more old-school tactical shooter that remind me a lot of the original COD4 and MW2.  And since those are my favourite two of the series (MW2 especially) I really have high hopes for this.  

And whoever mentioned the microtransactions - what else did you expect from Activision?  You don't have to buy them though.  And word is that you will be unlocking them the more you play as well with daily challenges, etc.

Anyways, fingers crossed.  And more impressions after this weekend.

• Upvote 2

Ignoring the actual premise of the video, I was watching this and realised I'd forgotten that M+K could be used on the PS4. I don't remember seeing an option to filter that out from matchmaking, did anyone else?

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Ignoring the actual premise of the video, I was watching this and realised I'd forgotten that M+K could be used on the PS4. I don't remember seeing an option to filter that out from matchmaking, did anyone else?

I think there was an option. I saw a video of Shroud playing a tournament with Scump and a couple of other COD pros and he was using the mouse and keyboard while they were on controllers.

When are the Beta codes (Xbox) going out?

EDIT: Just had my 'Your Modern Warfare Beta Code is Here!' email and there's no code in it!

5 hours ago, Hitcher said:

When are the Beta codes (Xbox) going out?

EDIT: Just had my 'Your Modern Warfare Beta Code is Here!' email and there's no code in it!

Got the same email, goto callofduty.com  Your code should be there when you login (at least it was for me)

I got a correction email with code, although I already found it on their website. 

My code was from the Wuntu app.

1 hour ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

When does the beta go live for xbox? 

Might try and get a code from ebay or something 

They're selling them for a fiver on cdkeys, if it's anything like PS4 last week it'll go live today for pre-orders and for everyone on Saturday.

Crossplay seems to not work the why they said it would. I got in the same game playing on the PS4 as a lot of PC--players using M&K. Wasn't it supposed to be input based, so if I enabled crossplay I would be put into a game with PC (or Xbox) players using controllers?

2 hours ago, koefoed said:

Crossplay seems to not work the why they said it would. I got in the same game playing on the PS4 as a lot of PC--players using M&K. Wasn't it supposed to be input based, so if I enabled crossplay I would be put into a game with PC (or Xbox) players using controllers?

No. You're supposed to be able to filter by control method but I'm buggered if I can find it. Maybe it detects it as there's an option in the control.l menu for pad or m&k but m&k is greyed out.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/9/18/20873038/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-cross-play-beta-how-it-works-ps4-xbox-one-pc

"Infinity Ward says that Modern Warfare supports keyboard and mouse and controllers on all platforms, and you’ll be able to choose controller-only lobbies or mouse and keyboard-only lobbies regardless of whether you’re playing on a console or on PC. "

Same here - well my son did so I’m sharing it. Played a few hours on the beta last night and really enjoyed propping up all the end of game scoreboards. The maps are nice and intricate, will take a lot of learning. Did have a weird glitch on my weapon graphics though that wouldn’t go away - a bit like an iron girder running across it, which left part of the screen permanently obscured. Saw a couple of other players in game with what looked like the same glitch.

It’s an October tradition that I go all in full digital purchase after getting onboard the hype train and not playing at all past Xmas so it’s likely I will get this buuuuuuuuut.... I have really, liked properly, liked the beta and it feels like the older COD games - slower pace and more reliance on position than twitch reactions :) 

Hopefully they aren't pinning ground war to one map.

Quite enjoyed having a sniper and assault rifle combo, although I have a lot to learn about sniping. 

On 20/09/2019 at 10:43, koefoed said:

Think it's disabled in the betas but active in the full game.

1 hour ago, mr_woo said:

Think it's disabled in the betas but active in the full game.

No this weekend is specifically a cross play beta. I had a couple not games earlier where there were pc icons on the player list (which is probably Xbox players as well as having the competitors icons on your format seems to be a no-no).