Jump to content

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare


Recommended Posts

I've been away on holiday and only managed to download and install the PS4 beta yesterday; First game mode was Search & Destroy and I was utter shite at it. The game felt great (proper old school COD) but I was just terrible. Next up was Domination and I had more idea of what I was doing and it felt really natural and rewarding.

 

I only managed 2 games and didn't realise the Beta was ending last night :( But, as a few others have said, I've had no interest in COD for nearly a decade and now I'm thinking this could be a day one purchase for me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DC Lemon said:

The other formats still get the rest of Spec Ops. Survival mode sounds like the kind of thing I play once for 20 minutes before dying of boredom (in-game but possibly also IRL).

 

Yeah I get it. But it's the principle - the game is the same price on both consoles I believe?

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just a way of Sony stamping their exclusivity in some way. 

 

It beats the alternative of having a season pass with paid multiplayer maps releasing early on PS4.  Now, the maps will all be free with no season pass and launch at the same time on PS4, XBox and PC.  Not a bad trade off I feel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-17-activision-says-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-will-monetise-through-battle-pass-not-loot-boxes

 

No loot boxes, apparently. All through season/battle pass and straight up purchases. I'd like to think this is Activision listening to the noise made by its players which may be partially true, but I think the continuation of the egregious and aggressive nature of their loot boxes as they were in BlOps IIII would bring them under scrutiny of the governments looking into the practice and so they've shit the bed. Course, BlOps IIII could have been a test bed to see which way the wind was blowing and they got their answer. Fuck knows.

Anyway, either way you slice it it's a good thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just a F2P thing. Destiny 2 has one. I'm too fried to think of any other paid games that have them.

 I have no problem with Battle Passes (Pass's? Pass'?) personally, so if it's this or fucking loot boxes I'll take this. Activision are never going to give the multiplayer away for free while they can still sell like gangbusters each October, but they do need to keep the money rolling in till the next Call of Duty. I will say I'm surprised Blackout isn't a) back for this game rejigged and b) not free to play yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you've got a game that's regularly updated with new maps, weapons, characters, and modes as well as boring stuff like patches and re-balancing, then they've got to pay for that somehow, right? Either through selling map packs, subscription fees, loot boxes, battle passes, microtransactions, etc etc. Battle passes seem like a pretty benign way of funding a live game to me, it beats selling map packs and having the new maps never come up in rotation because not all of the player base will have bought the pack, and you just need one player in a 16-player lobby for it not to appear.

Link to post
Share on other sites

hope they drop some teaser vids of the mp maps.

 

read somewhere that Terminal and Rust and Sub base were found through data mining and overall 65 maps were found, sure a lot of those are spec ops and there 2v2 game.

 

Favella, Estate and Quarry would be welcome

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, K said:

If you've got a game that's regularly updated with new maps, weapons, characters, and modes as well as boring stuff like patches and re-balancing, then they've got to pay for that somehow, right? Either through selling map packs, subscription fees, loot boxes, battle passes, microtransactions, etc etc. Battle passes seem like a pretty benign way of funding a live game to me, it beats selling map packs and having the new maps never come up in rotation because not all of the player base will have bought the pack, and you just need one player in a 16-player lobby for it not to appear.

 Where do the initial billions go? 

 

Bobby Koticks back pocket? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

 Where do the initial billions go? 

 

Bobby Koticks back pocket? 

 

Well, yeah. It's fucking garbage but that is the nature of business for these companies. The devs crunch themselves to death, Bobby Kotick sticks $150m in his bank, lays a load of people off, sits on a beach earning 20%. Nobody is saying it's not a shitty practice, but short of literally no-one buying their games it's not going to change. The devs still need paying so the new money has to roll in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the worst thing about the whole battlepass-to-fund-game-content thing is that it won’t even be live on the game’s release? So you don’t even know exactly what you’re buying into, other than maybe just assuming that Activision will screw you over as much as possible.

 

And don’t forget that in theory, the battle pass doesn’t cover map development, since Activision said that would be ‘free’.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to go in accepting the MP will be good for a month or so before Activision sucks all the fun and fairness out of it.

 

COD Mobile has been pretty enjoyable so far as a F2P title and I still ain’t giving them a penny towards battle passes or anything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Retroguy said:

Surely the worst thing about the whole battlepass-to-fund-game-content thing is that it won’t even be live on the game’s release? So you don’t even know exactly what you’re buying into, other than maybe just assuming that Activision will screw you over as much as possible.

 

And don’t forget that in theory, the battle pass doesn’t cover map development, since Activision said that would be ‘free’.

 

What? It covers map development in that it means they can keep making shit after the initial release. Maps don't just pop out of the fucking ether fully formed, devs don't work for free. The season pass system no longer works, so they need another means of continued/extra funding for that. What they SHOULD be doing is using the money from initial sales for that, but who knows how their fund distribution works. Someone who works in game dev might be able to say. I'd assume they get X for the development till release with y for post launch support but then z needs to come from somewhere else to fund it into the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

 

What? It covers map development in that it means they can keep making shit after the initial release. Maps don't just pop out of the fucking ether fully formed, devs don't work for free. The season pass system no longer works, so they need another means of continued/extra funding for that. What they SHOULD be doing is using the money from initial sales for that, but who knows how their fund distribution works. Someone who works in game dev might be able to say. I'd assume they get X for the development till release with y for post launch support but then z needs to come from somewhere else to fund it into the future.


Firstly, wow, calm down.

 

Secondly, yes of course they don’t magically get made out of nothing, but as you say, my point would be is that if Activision are choosing to say the maps are ‘free’, then the initial outlay of the game price should be covering that. Otherwise they’re not free at all. All I’m saying is that there at least needs to be some kind of continuity in justification of the battle pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Retroguy said:


Firstly, wow, calm down.

 

Secondly, yes of course they don’t magically get made out of nothing, but as you say, my point would be is that if Activision are choosing to say the maps are ‘free’, then the initial outlay of the game price should be covering that. Otherwise they’re not free at all. All I’m saying is that there at least needs to be some kind of continuity in justification of the battle pass.

 

You're not paying directly for the maps, so they're 'free'. They should Be saying "Included in the price of the game" but it's not as snappy; they're only free in the traditional sense as you won't be paying for them post release as you have done before.

 

But that's all semantics. My assumption is that any post release content is paid for with post release money as I'm an idiotic optimist, but maybe the actual fact is they're a business, they like making money, the suits like getting fat bonuses so they want to rinse it for all it's worth. That's all the justification they need. Fucking garbage, but again what can you do except not buy the game/season pass or fuck it all and leave your morals at the door?

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

 

You're not paying directly for the maps, so they're 'free'. They should Be saying "Included in the price of the game" but it's not as snappy; they're only free in the traditional sense as you won't be paying for them post release as you have done before.

 

But that's all semantics. My assumption is that any post release content is paid for with post release money as I'm an idiotic optimist, but maybe the actual fact is they're a business, they like making money, the suits like getting fat bonuses so they want to rinse it for all it's worth. That's all the justification they need. Fucking garbage, but again what can you do except not buy the game/season pass or fuck it all and leave your morals at the door?


People were justifying the battle pass though as saying that it pays for the maps too, and I just don’t like the idea of Activision getting away with that.

 

You’re totally right on that last point- for me, I’m definitely not buying this until they launch the battle pass elements. If it becomes really difficult to earn the other guns and attachments without paying, that  could totally affect the quality of the core game, and I don’t want to buy into anything where that is an unknown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.