rllmuk
djbhammer

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare

13 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The first gun I got on the beta only had single shot or burst, which meant in most 1v1 situations I got totally rinsed. I assume useful guns are unlocked at higher levels.

Once you got to level 4 , its same old COD where you can customise classes.  But you could have chosen the default class with the MP5 or the sniper or the LMG or the shotgun .

19 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Dude this is all you, because you get more than one gun at the start. I used the first two assault rifles almost exclusively (AK-47 and I think m1a). Even if you were level 1 before you can alter your loadout the 5 classes have guns you don't unlock for configuration until the higher levels anyway.

I’ve never used anything other than full auto in any fps outside of Fortnite game, the default gun the beta gives you is burst only. I should’ve checked the classes / customisation a bit more but I don’t think it’s my fault for expecting the default loadout to be decent enough to compete.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I’ve never used anything other than full auto in any fps outside of Fortnite game, the default gun the beta gives you is burst only. I should’ve checked the classes / customisation a bit more but I don’t think it’s my fault for expecting the default loadout to be decent enough to compete.

You can easily compete with the burst fire AR. 

29 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

....there are 5 loadouts before you get to level 4. You choose one before you go in the match. There is no 'default'.

I just hit the X button man.

It’s a COD beta, not Morrowind. :eyebrows:

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I just hit the X button man.

It’s a COD beta, not Morrowind. :eyebrows:

I am sure it is pretty much uses the same set up as it always has. 

I've been away on holiday and only managed to download and install the PS4 beta yesterday; First game mode was Search & Destroy and I was utter shite at it. The game felt great (proper old school COD) but I was just terrible. Next up was Domination and I had more idea of what I was doing and it felt really natural and rewarding.

I only managed 2 games and didn't realise the Beta was ending last night :( But, as a few others have said, I've had no interest in COD for nearly a decade and now I'm thinking this could be a day one purchase for me. 

• Upvote 2

The other formats still get the rest of Spec Ops. Survival mode sounds like the kind of thing I play once for 20 minutes before dying of boredom (in-game but possibly also IRL).

1 hour ago, DC Lemon said:

The other formats still get the rest of Spec Ops. Survival mode sounds like the kind of thing I play once for 20 minutes before dying of boredom (in-game but possibly also IRL).

Yeah I get it. But it's the principle - the game is the same price on both consoles I believe?

It's just a way of Sony stamping their exclusivity in some way. 

It beats the alternative of having a season pass with paid multiplayer maps releasing early on PS4.  Now, the maps will all be free with no season pass and launch at the same time on PS4, XBox and PC.  Not a bad trade off I feel.

• Upvote 1

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-10-17-activision-says-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-will-monetise-through-battle-pass-not-loot-boxes

No loot boxes, apparently. All through season/battle pass and straight up purchases. I'd like to think this is Activision listening to the noise made by its players which may be partially true, but I think the continuation of the egregious and aggressive nature of their loot boxes as they were in BlOps IIII would bring them under scrutiny of the governments looking into the practice and so they've shit the bed. Course, BlOps IIII could have been a test bed to see which way the wind was blowing and they got their answer. Fuck knows.

Anyway, either way you slice it it's a good thing. 

It's not just a F2P thing. Destiny 2 has one. I'm too fried to think of any other paid games that have them.

I have no problem with Battle Passes (Pass's? Pass'?) personally, so if it's this or fucking loot boxes I'll take this. Activision are never going to give the multiplayer away for free while they can still sell like gangbusters each October, but they do need to keep the money rolling in till the next Call of Duty. I will say I'm surprised Blackout isn't a) back for this game rejigged and b) not free to play yet.

If you've got a game that's regularly updated with new maps, weapons, characters, and modes as well as boring stuff like patches and re-balancing, then they've got to pay for that somehow, right? Either through selling map packs, subscription fees, loot boxes, battle passes, microtransactions, etc etc. Battle passes seem like a pretty benign way of funding a live game to me, it beats selling map packs and having the new maps never come up in rotation because not all of the player base will have bought the pack, and you just need one player in a 16-player lobby for it not to appear.

hope they drop some teaser vids of the mp maps.

read somewhere that Terminal and Rust and Sub base were found through data mining and overall 65 maps were found, sure a lot of those are spec ops and there 2v2 game.

Favella, Estate and Quarry would be welcome

• Upvote 2

I’m really hyped for this. The beta was awesome fun. I didn’t really get on with BF5 so I’m looking forward to having a regular multiplayer shooter again. 

6 hours ago, K said:

If you've got a game that's regularly updated with new maps, weapons, characters, and modes as well as boring stuff like patches and re-balancing, then they've got to pay for that somehow, right? Either through selling map packs, subscription fees, loot boxes, battle passes, microtransactions, etc etc. Battle passes seem like a pretty benign way of funding a live game to me, it beats selling map packs and having the new maps never come up in rotation because not all of the player base will have bought the pack, and you just need one player in a 16-player lobby for it not to appear.

Where do the initial billions go? 

Bobby Koticks back pocket? 

2 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Where do the initial billions go? 

Bobby Koticks back pocket? 

Well, yeah. It's fucking garbage but that is the nature of business for these companies. The devs crunch themselves to death, Bobby Kotick sticks $150m in his bank, lays a load of people off, sits on a beach earning 20%. Nobody is saying it's not a shitty practice, but short of literally no-one buying their games it's not going to change. The devs still need paying so the new money has to roll in.

The thing I hate about this game is that the "beta" (in my opinion) was so fucking good.

I hate these practices and it's so annoying because I really really want to buy this game.

Surely the worst thing about the whole battlepass-to-fund-game-content thing is that it won’t even be live on the game’s release? So you don’t even know exactly what you’re buying into, other than maybe just assuming that Activision will screw you over as much as possible.

And don’t forget that in theory, the battle pass doesn’t cover map development, since Activision said that would be ‘free’.

You have to go in accepting the MP will be good for a month or so before Activision sucks all the fun and fairness out of it.

COD Mobile has been pretty enjoyable so far as a F2P title and I still ain’t giving them a penny towards battle passes or anything else.

1 hour ago, Retroguy said:

Surely the worst thing about the whole battlepass-to-fund-game-content thing is that it won’t even be live on the game’s release? So you don’t even know exactly what you’re buying into, other than maybe just assuming that Activision will screw you over as much as possible.

And don’t forget that in theory, the battle pass doesn’t cover map development, since Activision said that would be ‘free’.

What? It covers map development in that it means they can keep making shit after the initial release. Maps don't just pop out of the fucking ether fully formed, devs don't work for free. The season pass system no longer works, so they need another means of continued/extra funding for that. What they SHOULD be doing is using the money from initial sales for that, but who knows how their fund distribution works. Someone who works in game dev might be able to say. I'd assume they get X for the development till release with y for post launch support but then z needs to come from somewhere else to fund it into the future.