rllmuk
djbhammer

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare

58 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

What? It covers map development in that it means they can keep making shit after the initial release. Maps don't just pop out of the fucking ether fully formed, devs don't work for free. The season pass system no longer works, so they need another means of continued/extra funding for that. What they SHOULD be doing is using the money from initial sales for that, but who knows how their fund distribution works. Someone who works in game dev might be able to say. I'd assume they get X for the development till release with y for post launch support but then z needs to come from somewhere else to fund it into the future.

Firstly, wow, calm down.

Secondly, yes of course they don’t magically get made out of nothing, but as you say, my point would be is that if Activision are choosing to say the maps are ‘free’, then the initial outlay of the game price should be covering that. Otherwise they’re not free at all. All I’m saying is that there at least needs to be some kind of continuity in justification of the battle pass.

19 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

Firstly, wow, calm down.

Secondly, yes of course they don’t magically get made out of nothing, but as you say, my point would be is that if Activision are choosing to say the maps are ‘free’, then the initial outlay of the game price should be covering that. Otherwise they’re not free at all. All I’m saying is that there at least needs to be some kind of continuity in justification of the battle pass.

You're not paying directly for the maps, so they're 'free'. They should Be saying "Included in the price of the game" but it's not as snappy; they're only free in the traditional sense as you won't be paying for them post release as you have done before.

But that's all semantics. My assumption is that any post release content is paid for with post release money as I'm an idiotic optimist, but maybe the actual fact is they're a business, they like making money, the suits like getting fat bonuses so they want to rinse it for all it's worth. That's all the justification they need. Fucking garbage, but again what can you do except not buy the game/season pass or fuck it all and leave your morals at the door?

34 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

You're not paying directly for the maps, so they're 'free'. They should Be saying "Included in the price of the game" but it's not as snappy; they're only free in the traditional sense as you won't be paying for them post release as you have done before.

But that's all semantics. My assumption is that any post release content is paid for with post release money as I'm an idiotic optimist, but maybe the actual fact is they're a business, they like making money, the suits like getting fat bonuses so they want to rinse it for all it's worth. That's all the justification they need. Fucking garbage, but again what can you do except not buy the game/season pass or fuck it all and leave your morals at the door?

People were justifying the battle pass though as saying that it pays for the maps too, and I just don’t like the idea of Activision getting away with that.

You’re totally right on that last point- for me, I’m definitely not buying this until they launch the battle pass elements. If it becomes really difficult to earn the other guns and attachments without paying, that  could totally affect the quality of the core game, and I don’t want to buy into anything where that is an unknown.

21 hours ago, Dave White said:

watched some dodgy russian streamer who was playing the spec ops mode, looks worth the price of admission alone, utterly superb!

What a package this is going to be

For PS4 players, maybe. Not for anyone else though who are paying the same to have a big chunk of already built content locked away for a year because of Sony $$$$.

23 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

For PS4 players, maybe. Not for anyone else though who are paying the same to have a big chunk of already built content locked away for a year because of Sony $$$$.

totally agree, don't think its fair on the consumer to lock out a whole demographic of console owners with an exclusive for AAA titles.

• Upvote 1

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the single-player campaign. The previous Modern Warfare games seem to have gotten a bit too wrapped up in the idea of doing something shocking or controversial, so you end up with tone-deaf horror shows like No Russian and that bit in MW3 where you control a family who are killed by terrorists, which are shocking and controversial but in a really tasteless, juvenile way. It feels like Infinity Ward saw all the praise they received Death from Above or Shock & Awe and doubled down on the brutality and slaughter without really getting why people liked those levels.

I am a bit worried they’re going to do the same thing again; Eurogamer did a feature earlier in the year on a level where you play as a child soldier which sounded horrendous in the way that it took a really grim real-world topic and turned it into a boss battle where you have to stab a guy in his weak spot three times, interspersed with you hiding in air ducts.

For all that Infinity Ward probably have the best record out of Treyarch and Sledgehammer in terms of the single-player campaigns – even Ghosts was OK – and the people they’ve poached back from Respawn will at least mean the campaign has some interesting ideas, even if I’m slightly dubious about how the subject matter will be handled.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

I think its just one mode that's exclusive. Called Special Operations....... Xyz I can't remember. A wave based coop mode. The spec ops coop general mode is on all platforms 

2 hours ago, K said:

that bit in MW3 where you control a family who are killed by terrorists

Wow, don't remember that bit at all!

51 minutes ago, Pob said:

Wow, don't remember that bit at all!

It's very short, and to be honest it's probably more memorable for the sheer overload of London-ness in the scene - you're watching your family through the viewfinder of a video camera, and IIRC in the background you can see a red postbox, Big Ben, a Routemaster, a black cab, a football, and various other items of Londonphenalia just in case you were still unsure of where they are. But it is a bit grim to play, given that you walk forward to see your kids, and without warning they get blown to pieces by a bomb.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, K said:

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the single-player campaign. The previous Modern Warfare games seem to have gotten a bit too wrapped up in the idea of doing something shocking or controversial, so you end up with tone-deaf horror shows like No Russian and that bit in MW3 where you control a family who are killed by terrorists, which are shocking and controversial but in a really tasteless, juvenile way. It feels like Infinity Ward saw all the praise they received Death from Above or Shock & Awe and doubled down on the brutality and slaughter without really getting why people liked those levels.

I am a bit worried they’re going to do the same thing again; Eurogamer did a feature earlier in the year on a level where you play as a child soldier which sounded horrendous in the way that it took a really grim real-world topic and turned it into a boss battle where you have to stab a guy in his weak spot three times, interspersed with you hiding in air ducts.

For all that Infinity Ward probably have the best record out of Treyarch and Sledgehammer in terms of the single-player campaigns – even Ghosts was OK – and the people they’ve poached back from Respawn will at least mean the campaign has some interesting ideas, even if I’m slightly dubious about how the subject matter will be handled.

I saw some interviews with people from gaming sites such as ign after they got to play a single player campaign mission in the summer. They all looked totally shell shocked and were very very uncomfortable with what they had played. 

20 minutes ago, Dave White said:

I saw some interviews with people from gaming sites such as ign after they got to play a single player campaign mission in the summer. They all looked totally shell shocked and were very very uncomfortable with what they had played. 

Yeah, that doesn't sound great to me. I would be interested if it was, say, Naughty Dog, but on previous experience I don't think Infinity Ward have got the ability to deal with the adult themes they so desperately want to handle. It's a shame because they're really good at wrong-footing the player and subverting your expectations, like the bit where they kill off the protagonist *twice* in Modern Warfare 2, or the bit with the EMP blast in the same game, but they always push it too far.

Hey folks, quick question.

I'm thinking of getting this for PC, my friend on Xbox.

If I plug a controller in on pc, can I play with my Xbox mate with a lobby only with people using controllers?

Or is it going to put me under the category "keyboard and mouse" because I'm on PC?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

22 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Hey folks, quick question.

I'm thinking of getting this for PC, my friend on Xbox.

If I plug a controller in on pc, can I play with my Xbox mate with a lobby only with people using controllers?

Or is it going to put me under the category "keyboard and mouse" because I'm on PC?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

It will match you with the same peripherals.

11 hours ago, K said:

Yeah, that doesn't sound great to me. I would be interested if it was, say, Naughty Dog, but on previous experience I don't think Infinity Ward have got the ability to deal with the adult themes they so desperately want to handle. It's a shame because they're really good at wrong-footing the player and subverting your expectations, like the bit where they kill off the protagonist *twice* in Modern Warfare 2, or the bit with the EMP blast in the same game, but they always push it too far.

The lead designer IS ex-Naughty Dog. 

5 hours ago, smithstock said:

The lead designer IS ex-Naughty Dog. 

I didn't know that. It'll be interesting to see whether that will make much difference - whether one person can change the studio's culture and approach, even if they are the lead designer. This from Wikipedia is a bit odd:

Campaign gameplay director Jacob Minkoff expressed his desire for video games to go further in exploring otherwise traditionally taboo topics in the medium, noting that television series and films such as Homeland, American Sniper, and Sicario told "relatable, realistic, relevant, and provocative stories that really touch people." In avoiding telling such stories insensitively, consultants were brought in from multiple cultures; for example, conflict related to the Middle East in the game is located in the fictional country Urzikstan rather than based on any specific real-life location. Half of the game has been described as having morally complex choices, and the narrative has resulted in making several playtesters cry.

Some controversial aspects of the game were removed prior to its release as the developers were unsure of how much potential emotional discomfort they wanted to effect; this included a line in which a Russian soldier ponders handing over a captured girl to his commanding officer, implying pedophilia.

Are the Modern Warfare games really the place to explore taboos, and push the boundaries on what's acceptable in a game? Previous entries weren't exactly known for their sensitivity. It's made playtesters cry, but I'm not sure whether that's a positive or a negative. Still, at least they took out the paedophilia.

So my pre order hasn’t pre downloaded.  My PS4 Pro isn’t the primary PS4 as I have set up my 10year olds PS4 as primary.

i have gone into ps store and it shows a countdown timer but the game isn’t installed.  How do I get this to download in advance if it isn’t a primary machine?  

Thanks! 

18 minutes ago, Dave White said:

piccadilly map gameplay

Nice shop and storeroom haha. Looking forward to seeing more of the maps though, I liked most of the ones in the beta