rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stanshall

Have the first-party Switch games been a disappointment to you since December 2017?

I must admit I'll never hear a bad word to say about the Switch but there hasn't really been a lot for me lately, 

I've probably played for less than an hour since Christmas. This will obviously change with Pokemon and Animal Crossing in coming but yeah, nothing really that I've been interested in for a while. 

It probably doesn't help that I bought a PC and don't have a lot of time so any available gaming time has been on that recently. 

Skyrim kept me happy for a long time, as did Xenoblade, MHGen, Diablo... They've all gave me hundreds of hours of enjoyment, but yeah it's been a slow 6 months for me

As someone with a lot of travel time, my Switch has become my defacto console of choice. Although that's more because of the third party/Indie releases than Nintendo's own offerings this last 12 months or so. 

I expect that to change dramatically going forward though. Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3, Astral Chain and Mario Maker will keep me quiet for a good while. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, rgraves said:

Off the top of my head there's LABO (x4) for a start. And 1-2 Switch (like it or not, it's new). Rabbids (though not entirely clear if that would belong to Nintendo or Ubisoft long-term, it's hardly going to pop-up elsewhere), then there's Fitness Boxing.

LABO is one thing, not four. It's basically a collection of nothing like Wii Play, and with it's bog standard Nintendo interface and characters, is about as much of a new IP as that Wii U game with the theme park. Rabbids is another Mario game, but remixed with a different boring old IP.

You're right, they're fucking killing it with exciting new franchises.

• Downvote 3

Outside of BotW I couldn't care less about my Switch. Something just feels missing for me. The RPGs are all average, either shocking writing or massively stretched out to form a game that is twice as long as needed. 

The racing games, well that's a genre that is has been pretty flat for some time on the console, let alone a portable.

Outside of my own personal, not disappointment, because it's more that I'm bored of modern gaming, I can see it's a cracking system with a decent variety. I loved watching my daughter complete Mario and watching her kick arse on Splatoon. 

PS I'm really looking forward to Mario Maker. 

I think I'm still sad as well that the selection of old Nintendo games is just full priced Wii U ports, there's no VC support, no respect for purchases made previously, and everything that's coming with retro games is tied to their crap online system.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

This is such an incredibly lazy post. Their first party input since then has included Sea of Thieves, the neon and cel shaded Crackdown 3, and Forza Horizon 4. 

Gears of War 4 came out 2 years earlier but it seems it’s never too late to flog the “THEY’RE ALL BROWN” horse, or moan about how Forza is on its 12th instalment while you play a port of the 20th instalment of Mario with a big grin on your face. 

I was actually crediting them with Gears of War 5, which I thought was out.

I fucking love Forza but each of its two strands have barely changed in a decade, Crafted World is more different to any previous Yoshi game than any Forza has changed.

And to count it as the 20th installment of Mario you have to assume Mario Brothers and Odyssey are remotely even the same game, in which case Sea of Thieves (which admittedly I'd forgotten) and it's 69 on metacritic is just Sid Meier's Pirates but dumbed down.

Crackdown was the original xbox game I mentioned, although I grant you all of that I know after they decided to tie it to "Cloud physics" was that Terry Crews is in it and it got slaughtered in reviews.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Just seen the thread title has been edited, so a new post in response:

No.

Cheers, mate. Noted and added to the spreadsheet. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Dudley said:

And to count it as the 20th installment of Mario you have to assume Mario Brothers and Odyssey are remotely even the same game, in which case Sea of Thieves (which admittedly I'd forgotten) and it's 69 on metacritic is just Sid Meier's Pirates but dumbed down.

Your post was lazy and pointless whatabouttery. My point with Mario is that calling it the 20th instalment is just as reductive as lumping all the Forza games together. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bum said:

It has a paucity of driving games

Counter point - Virtua Racing. 

I cant say I’m disappointed, no, but then I’m sill playing Zelda, having bought the DLC recently. 

I don't really have time to play anything during the week, except maybe a dip into something immediate like VR or Tetris, so my progress through games can be a bit slow, meaning I still haven’t got Mario Party, Tennis, NSMBU or Smash Bros. 

I would say that, on the horizon, I’m only really looking forward to Pokémon and the Link’s Awakening reimagining (especially this one!) but taking the above into account, that’s still a lot of games to buy - and I’m not even really planning on Mario maker 2 (yes really) Captain Toad, Kirby, Yoshi or Arms. 

I then have to admit that I’m still playing Zelda, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and a few other non-Nintendo titles (notably Octopath Traveller), so I’m not going to be buying these games any time soon - probably not even this year. 

I think the only games I can say I’ve completed to satisfaction are Mario, Pokemon Eevee and Donkey Kong. I still dip in and out of Mario Kart and will fire up Splatoon 2 for a battering occasionally. 

If anything theres too much, especially when you factor in the indies (hello Hollow Knight!).

6 minutes ago, Popo said:

Counter point - Virtua Racing. 

I meant driving sims rather than arcade racers.

The nearest are V-Rally and Gear Club Unlimited.

2 minutes ago, bum said:

I meant driving sims rather than arcade racers.

The nearest are V-Rally and Gear Club Unlimited.

You'll be waiting  a long time for a good driving sim on a console with digital triggers. 

2 hours ago, Broker said:

They seem to have run out of creative steam completely

There’s more creative stuff in one single level of Yoshi than 90% of games out this year.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Broker said:

LABO is one thing, not four. It's basically a collection of nothing like Wii Play, and with it's bog standard Nintendo interface and characters, is about as much of a new IP as that Wii U game with the theme park. Rabbids is another Mario game, but remixed with a different boring old IP.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I bet you've never actually played either of them. You're just windmilling for some odd reason.

If there is one thing LABO, and in particular the Garage stuff, isn't, it's a lazy interface. And comparing Mario Rabbids to a traditional Mario game :lol:

• Upvote 2

I'm not in the slightest bit disappointed. Smash Bros alone is better than pretty much anything released since 2017 that isn't Sekiro.

I am disappointed there's not more third party support I suppose, but even there I'm not bothered when we have the likes of Dragon Quest XI and DQB2 to look forward to and countless Indies.

I think both Nintendo and Sony have knocked it out the park in recent years with only MS letting the side down in the first party stakes.

I did a thread ages ago about the switch, got negged to hell about it and now, maybe a year or so later my opinion has changed a little. Back then I commented that the many individual good ideas work together to make an all in one unit that doesn't make any sense.

The machine is a handheld, but has Wii style controls which means you look silly playing it as a handheld, its too big to fit in the pocket, the joycons are uncomfortable to hold sideways, there's clip on bits for the controllers so more pieces to carry and lose, there's 3 items that have independent batteries so if one of them runs out you're stuck. It just seems to me that ultimately its not a handheld like a GBA or DS was - too many pieces and too big for a pocket.

The machine connects to the TV but that means you can't use the touchscreen, and the joycons aren't as good as a regular controller. You can clip them into another piece of plastic but its yet another piece of plastic so you hace to remove 2 pieces of plastic to put the controllers in it.   As a TV console its underpowered. As a handheld its overpowered. 

But then, emulation became easy and the console has a new lease of life for me.  I can take it anywhere and play Dreamcast games on it, as well as official titles like Outrun and Virtual Racing.  So even though I think the Switch is a weird hybrid of ideas that don't work, I like it a lot.  I still think that Nintendo need to get their act together on the games though. I see adverts on TV showing Zelda and Mario Kart and I reckon thats like Sony advertising the PS4 with Knack. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6
  • Empathy 1

27 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

You'll be waiting  a long time for a good driving sim on a console with digital triggers. 

I'm not expecting many.  I was just pointing out a weakness in the Switch's selection of games.

3 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I see adverts on TV showing Zelda and Mario Kart and I reckon thats like Sony advertising the PS4 with Knack. 

Yes because they’re of the same quality and the Switch launched with Odyssey too.

Don’t feed the troll.

3 hours ago, Stanshall said:

@GamesGamesGames

Ah, come on, man. You're way above selective editing. The point is that all the ambitious software was released in the first nine months so everything since then has been a serious drop off. That's the disappointment.

That's fair. My expectations may be unreasonable but they set them so high that first year. I hoped they'd keep trying new things. 

It wasn't selective editing, more highlighting a raft of outstanding content which must have taken a very long time to develop. If nothing has followed it in a couple of years from now then I'd wonder about their first-party cycle, but I reckon there's a few years' worth of top-class gaming been crafted.

In an age of often underwhelming IPs, crunch trauma, and a general lack of imagination, I think Nintendo's first-party output is the last place I'd point a finger.

33 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I did a thread ages ago about the switch, got negged to hell about it and now, maybe a year or so later my opinion has changed a little. Back then I commented that the many individual good ideas work together to make an all in one unit that doesn't make any sense.

A bit like this post.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Broker said:

Absolutely. I had a Wii U so there’s fuck all new games and they haven’t ported fucking 3D World, the one Wii U game I’d like to try again.

Since BOTW and Odyssey they’ve released nothing but safe, boring, generic rehashes and that’s all they seem to have planned. It’s ridiculous comparing BOTW, Mario, Splatoon and ARMS to the fuck all they’ve released the last few years, another Yoshi game, a watered down Pokemon game based on a smartphone app. 

They seem to have run out of creative steam completely and resorted to Wii U ports or sequels that are so low effort they may as well be Wii U ports. 

After Zelda I was so excited to see them take other franchises off in new directions, but it’s just been boring, by the numbers stuff. 

I agree to a certain extent.  Zelda was so fresh and exciting that you were hoping this would be the starting point for other games but not so much so far.  I don't mind the Wii U ports if they are in addition to the original games, the problem is that often they seem to be the major releases that Nintendo are working on. Even the Mario Kart on Switch, great as it is, is essentially the same as the Wii U version. If Mario Kart 9 is a while off a bit more support for 8 wouldn't go amiss. 

20 minutes ago, tnman said:

Yes because they’re of the same quality and the Switch launched with Odyssey too.

Don’t feed the troll.

That's not my point, I'm saying that the world has been seeing the same adverts for over 2 years now. Newer , interesting stuff like Labo seems to get way less advertising than something everyone has already seen.  They should promote the Switch as an exciting machine. But they seem to present it as a Mario Kart machine. They show you some hipsters on a ski trip going to the top of the mountain and then playing 8 player Mario kart.  If someone saw the advert and wasn't persuaded to buy one 2 years ago, why still promote it that way now? Keep it fresh!

15 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

It wasn't selective editing, more highlighting a raft of outstanding content which must have taken a very long time to develop. If nothing has followed it in a couple of years from now then I'd wonder about their first-party cycle, but I reckon there's a few years' worth of top-class gaming been crafted.

In an age of often underwhelming IPs, crunch trauma, and a general lack of imagination, I think Nintendo's first-party output is the last place I'd point a finger.

Surely you're not suggesting that the first nine months of releases earns them FOUR YEARS of goodwill to not release anything of a similar ambition?

In an age of zero imagination and stultifyingly safe releases, Nintendo have shown exactly this with their first-party software over the last eighteen months. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, dumpster said:

That's not my point, I'm saying that the world has been seeing the same adverts for over 2 years now. Newer , interesting stuff like Labo seems to get way less advertising than something everyone has already seen.  They should promote the Switch as an exciting machine. But they seem to present it as a Mario Kart machine. They show you some hipsters on a ski trip going to the top of the mountain and then playing 8 player Mario kart.  If someone saw the advert and wasn't persuaded to buy one 2 years ago, why still promote it that way now? Keep it fresh!

They should employ you to do their marketing, they're doing really badly after all.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Surely you're not suggesting that the first nine months of releases earns them FOUR YEARS of goodwill to not release anything of a similar ambition?

In an age of zero imagination and stultifyingly safe releases, Nintendo have shown exactly this with their first-party software over the last eighteen months. 

I think that's spectacularly unfair. Labo hardly lacks imagination and even though Smash isn't a new idea is brimming full of them, overflowing even. Kirby and Yoshi are full of ideas and imagination too. 

30 minutes ago, dumpster said:

It depends what channels you are watching - my kids have Disney/Nick on and it's brimming with all sorts of Switch ads - LABO VR absolutely being one of them.

At a guess, they keep pushing Mario Kart 8 as it's still bloody selling - why stop advertising a product that has huge brand recognition and is selling very well? An ad for Xenoblade or Yoshi might be 'fresher' for you, but neither of those have anything like the power that  Mario Cars does. They are pushing their headline act, and are probably as surprised as us that it's still shifting the numbers it is.