IGNORED

Turn your PlayStation Classic into a fantastic emulation machine

Tomdominer

13 hours ago, cubik said:

I've just given Autobleem a go and it wasn't a good start. The first game I tried (Tempest X3) locks it up and the second (Rage Racer) is jumpy during the intro video and then the in game music doesn't work.

Make sure, if you have bin and cue files, to load the cue file, as that makes the emulator understand the track listing. For instance, Return Fire / Wipeout has their soundtrack as separate tracks.

10 hours ago, ulala said:

Jumpy probably means too slow USB speed

A USB stick would be much faster than the original CD drive would have been wouldn't it?

When I tried the same games with Retroarch, I found that it was fussy about which core I used. Some would jump, others wouldn't. Autobleem doesn't have any options so you're stuck with what it gives you.

Sorry for making this seem complicated, it sounds like everyone else got it working first time out of the box.

On 08/06/2019 at 21:02, watusi said:

This arrived today, I'd preloaded autobleem and a load of games onto a 128GB stick I had lying around. Worked first time! It seems ok and it looks cute. I plan to just keep it ps1 games I think, much like SNES on the SNES mini

Did you have to do the solder?  I can't find a definitive answer on whether Autobleem requires the solder mod, or merely needs it for more power hungry USB sticks.

3 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Did you have to do the solder?  I can't find a definitive answer on whether Autobleem requires the solder mod, or merely needs it for more power hungry USB sticks.

It worked fine first time. Some fmv stutter but seems that is normal. 

I used this usb stick as I had one lying around. 

SanDisk Ultra Flair 128 GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive, Upto 150MB/s read - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015CH1PJU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_96P.CbKE4BDMJ

I get this to work and it always goes weird on me at the same place. Right now I have psx games added in autobleem and the autobleem menu loads retroarch by pressing square.  But when I use rertroarch the files and folders are those of the PSC, not the USB stick.  And this has worked for me one time and every other time this happens.  What am I missing?

IMG_20190610_210139.jpg

I select scan file or load content or whatever and the first option I get is this one pictured below.  Selecting it (and there's nothing else to choose)/is what brings up the PSC files. All my ROMs are on the USB and no-where to be seen. Yet the PSC games all work from USB. I just can't see what's going wrong.

IMG_20190610_210448-1683x1248.jpg

14 hours ago, dumpster said:

None of the mods require soldering. Only bleemsync requires actually modifying the PS Classic firmware. If you order the recommended USB sticks from the original post you don't need to modify the hardware at all. If you DO have a power hungry USB stick, you could first perform the OTG mod, as the OTG USB adapter is powered (because you plug it into the AC adapter cable), but you'd first need a USB stick that works with the low USB power of the classic to perform the mod....

On 08/06/2019 at 22:18, Ninja Doctor said:

Playing via Autobleem earlier and I only just noticed that once you have chosen your psx game and press down you can enable hi res and change the clock speed without having to open the in game menu. It also saves the setting. 

This works for both the inbuilt and added games. For the in built games it ups the cpu clock to 57 by default, improving the emulation somewhat. Nice. 

Where's this mate?

You can also go into the "options" inside the "quick menu" inside retroarch and access the similar options for the PSX core (they might be using the same emulator actually, not sure).

There is a "high res mode" and a "high res performance hack" that (probably) improves the performance. Works a charm on ISS Pro Evo 2. :)

For those on the fence, with the recommended Samsung USB this was pretty much as easy as it could possibly be, it's literally copying files to a usb stick.

For the games themselves there's a minor level of trickery to make sure they're in the right format but most probably already are and if you're going to rip your own it's even easier.

Minor update: used bleemsync 1.0.1 to install ftp/ssh access to the internal file system. Next job is to replace the pcsx binary, make the file system writeable and update the pcsx.cfg files to enable enhanced resolution rendering by default and to increase psx cpu clock to 57. 

Then after that is swapping out the base games for a few of my choosing such as switching gta to gran turismo or wipeout Xl. 

4 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Just two quick questions:

How user friendy is this method of hacking compared to using hakchi on a SNES mini?

And can you automatically and seemlessly add game covers like you can in hakchi?

It’s easier than hakchi as you only need to set a memory stick up, no need to connect or flash the console

just drag and drop files

if you use the full autobleem, covers are automatic and all in the file you download

Just got round to opening the box of the Classic I bought myself when they were cheap recently. Found a 4gb USB stick so thought I'd see if it worked with the 'hack'. 10 mins later I've got PSP, MD and SNES games working, it really couldn't be easier to load them. As @Dudley mentions, there's a degree of faffing to overcome, for example it created a weird association of some NeoGeo ROMs with the Jaguar emulator and actually scanning the ROMs took a lot longer than other file types. 

I expect I'll spend more time faffing with getting stuff added than actually playing stuff but that's always part of the fun. 

Debating whether to keep my MD Mini preorder now.

22 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

Debating whether to keep my MD Mini preorder now.

Yeah, I agree. Its got such a good pad for snes, md and neo geo games and great picture over HDMI that I am beginning to wonder if my retro game set-up is really needed anymore...

On 15/06/2019 at 12:49, Dudley said:

For the games themselves there's a minor level of trickery to make sure they're in the right format but most probably already are and if you're going to rip your own it's even easier.

Yeah, doing more advanced stuff is definitely tricky, but I am always here to answer questions!

Also, I've managed to achieve my ultimate goal for the thing, which was to get the PS-Classic working with multi-tap / 4-player games, which I have now achieved. Gonna write up an explanation when I get time...

16 hours ago, Tomdominer said:

Yeah, I agree. Its got such a good pad for snes, md and neo geo games and great picture over HDMI that I am beginning to wonder if my retro game set-up is really needed anymore...

the snes classis is now my go-to machine for snes, no need for anything else - especially as it has that nintendo charm

17 hours ago, Dudley said:

Ooh I'd be interested in that, on behalf of my brother I spent most of yesterday failing to convince an RPi to do that properly.

Especially if you've tested Micro Machines 3.

Yeah, got V3 working. I may as well tell you here, as its one of the easiest. If you are running retroarch, press start and select and go to the "options" menu to access the options for the PSX core. From there, you can actually toggle if there is a virtual multi-tap plugged into either port. Turn the one in the first port on I believe (this can vary for game to game, as some games only work with the multi-tap plugged into the second port), then change all player's joystick input settings from "auto" to "standard" (I can't remember the exact terminology, but its something along those lines) and then finally "reset" the game (as it only detects the multi-tap on boot).

After that, you just need to plug in a USB hub and keep plugging in any controllers you have (retroarch will work with 360, XB One, PS4 pads etc.) and you should be good to go. On the player selection screen, you should now be able to add up to 8 players.