IGNORED

Turn your PlayStation Classic into a fantastic emulation machine

Tomdominer

Just now, Ninja Doctor said:

Where did you get your covers from? I’ve been using ones from Autobleem and they have a black PlayStation border down the side. 

Just general googling of game title + "cover". I've tended to choose the Japanese cover because I hate both the US black bar on the side and the PAL black bar on the bottom!

4 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Well, I went and did it - feels great to have a short list of classics:

My 20 currently are:

R-Type Delta
Omega Boost
Einhander
Final Fantasy VII
Breath of Fire III
Vandal Hearts
Policenauts
Metal Gear Solid
Klonoa
Tomba!
Silent Bomber
Resident Evil
Bushido Blade
No One Can Stop Mr Domino!
Um Jammer Lammy
Bishi Bashi Special
Ridge Racer Type 4
Soul Blade
Super Puzzle Fighter II
Vagrant Story

Damn; excellent taste good sir! Most of them are on my list as well. Can't do more than twenty either cause the only low-voltage usb I currently have is an old 16Gb one. Hopefully I'll get that Samsung 128Gb some time next week. 

The only one that I think you'd want on there, and seems to be missing is the excellent In The Hunt.

Those struggling with low voltage usb sticks should take advantage of the bleemsync OTG hack. If you do, you'll be able to run the system from usb sockets on your TV etc (meaning you'll no longer need a usb to 3pin plug adaptor). But the main benefit is being able to connect your usb storage via the micro usb socket on the back of the classic with an OTG cable. All usb storage works when connected there. No more power related restrictions. I stuck a 400gb micro sd card in mine and it works a treat.

Thing is though, as nice as Autobleem is for it's ease of use and slick presentation, I've decided to switch to setting things up via Retroboot so I can use its custom PSX emulators. I found the stock PS Classic one that Autobleem is forced to use pretty poor in terms of performance sadly. 

9 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Damn; excellent taste good sir! Most of them are on my list as well. Can't do more than twenty either cause the only low-voltage usb I currently have is an old 16Gb one. Hopefully I'll get that Samsung 128Gb some time next week. 

The only one that I think you'd want on there, and seems to be missing is the excellent In The Hunt.

To make it clear I changed the internal games on the console. I just wanted a very clean setup as I already have a PSTV with lots of games on it. Internal limit is 14gb but I think you run into crashes due to the save states if you go above 13.5gb. Equally I've read that you shouldn't go over 25 games as the controller config messes up apparently!

Taking advantage of the ridiculously cheap Prime Day offer on this I stumped up the £15.99 and my unit arrived on Friday.

I found this video gave me all the information I needed to install new games on a 16gig USB stick I had kicking around;

Once I'd discovered the hidden menu (start and triangle) where you could apply a filter and scan lines, I was over the moon with how the visuals looked. I have found that you can set a game with these settings, but sometimes when you return to it the scan lines are all corrupt. To fix thus you have to switch them off and then back on again.

Other observations are jerky scrolling on the Puzzle Fighter menus and occasional sound glitches on Final Fantasy 7. 

For £15.99 this is an absolute bargain.

6 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I’ve followed the instructions and am using a recommended memory card (Toshiba one someone on here posted previously) but it ain’t working - just boots to the usual menu. 

Any ideas?

This is using RetroBoot 0.9 

Excellent tutorial here:

>>  https://modmyclassic.com/bleemsync/

If it doesn't work after having done exactly as this tutorial tells you, you might consider trying another USB stick.

On 21/07/2019 at 13:32, Bleeders said:

Valkyrie Profile doesn’t want to play ball with AutoBleem or Retroarch. I keep hitting the ‘Retry’ error when it’s trying to load the next scene annoyingly. Shame. I really wanted to play it again.

Works fine in Bleemsync though.

So I bought one of these the other night, then in a moment of madness went mini retro crazy. I have a means to play the games on these probably better on several devices but fuck it. It'll be the first time I'll have ever played any C64 game and apart from DS/3DS etc remakes I've very little knowledge or experience with the NES. I had an Atari VCS in about 82 but after a few months got bored and sold it a while later. I bought a Snes just before I bought my Playstation, mainly for Starfox and Stunt Race FX and sold that to fund my PS1, which became my gateway drug into gaming.

I've been playing Adventure for the last ten minutes and I'm actually enjoying it....for now.

20190724_140200.jpg

Finally (over two decades after its original release!) playing Policenauts on more or less original hardware. Together with hidden gems as Silent Bomber, Brave Fencer MusashiIn The Hunt and Omega Boost, this has been my most played console for the last two weeks.

3 hours ago, Wonderm said:

To be honest I had half-forgotten just how many great games were on the ps1. In The Hunt just looks incredible; need to look more into the 2d games for it, I ignored them horribly at the time. 

Same here. Understandably, everyone was jumping on the 3D bandwagon at the time.

Don't forget Silhouette Mirage

So I've messed around quite a bit and my internal games are running 95% perfectly and really happy with the 22 games I've got there now.

Its really not that complicated or risky and nothing too different from when I've messed around with Wii and PSP with modding, but there are a few things that took a bit of googling around the internet so I thought I'd collate it here for others.

I used this guide to make a start which explains quite well the initial steps and then how to setup the database files and internal folders correctly: https://medium.com/@bertinjoseb/replace-playstation-classic-stock-games-from-internal-memory-easily-e3307b09b0d8

Each game folder should have a pscx.cfg file - to start I just copied and paste this into every folder and made the following tweaks (in Notepad++):

Region - 1 (this changes the games to NTSC 60hz - the default version of MGS still didnt run at 60fps after this so I would recommend replacing every single stock game on the console with the NTSC version)

psx_clock = 54 (this just makes the emulator work harder which helps improve performance)

Troubleshooting 

Game doesnt boot past the Playstation Logo and just freezes

This is a bios problem and certain games choose to use romJP.bin - easy fix:

A lot of people have issues with certain games not starting because the wrong BIOS file is trying to boot it. A simple way to fix this is to make sure that both BIOS files are actually the same file. Go into the "/gaadata/system/bios" folder. The "good" bios is the romw.bin. It's actually the same one the PSP used and has high compatibility with all regions. Download this file, rename it to romJP.bin and upload/overwrite the one on the PSC. Now both are just romw.bin with different names.

Slowdown and framerate issues

This took me a while to figure out but it is always a good idea to check the framerate of the game. Easiest way to do this is to plug in a keyboard in and press the ESC once in game. Under options look for the show framerate option and turn on - return to the game and in the bottom right will be the framerate

If its something like "30 / 60 " then this is a 30fps game and will be running well under the current setup as the framerate will be throttled from going higher

If its something like "59.1 / 60 " then this is a 60fps game and you will probably notice some issues with extra frames and weird increases in speed. In Symphony in the Night this results in text mis ing l tters l ke this. For 60fps games you are going to want to go create a modified pscx.cfg in the games folder with the following change:

frameskip3 = 1

This changes the frameskip option from AUTO to OFF and will solve these performance issues

PSClassic wont boot into menu and says something like "Please switch off at the AC adaptor and restart"

This is easily done when messing around adding additional game folders. Whenever you switch off the console it remembers where it was on the game wheel and if at boot-up it cant find that folder number anymore, it gets confused. Easy solution is to just re-add in additional game folders again, reboot, and then when switching off go back to the game in folder 1, and then re-delete the folders you don't want anymore

On 24/07/2019 at 14:23, amc said:

So I bought one of these the other night, then in a moment of madness went mini retro crazy. I have a means to play the games on these probably better on several devices but fuck it. It'll be the first time I'll have ever played any C64 game and apart from DS/3DS etc remakes I've very little knowledge or experience with the NES. I had an Atari VCS in about 82 but after a few months got bored and sold it a while later. I bought a Snes just before I bought my Playstation, mainly for Starfox and Stunt Race FX and sold that to fund my PS1, which became my gateway drug into gaming.

I've been playing Adventure for the last ten minutes and I'm actually enjoying it....for now.

20190724_140200.jpg

Ate the NES and SNES Minis still easy to pick up? I wasn't bothered at the time, since I can emulate easily enough on Wii, but the PS1 Classic has changed my outlook on these things a touch. I really quite like the dedicated machine.

I think I'm going to hold on for the full size C64, though.

I can't really say outside of ebay and Amazon but there seemed to be plenty of them on those two. NES was below rrp but the Snes was slightly above it. I did a pretty rudimentary search outside of ebay at the time and and as I say you can definitely get them from Amazon.

52 minutes ago, Lemm said:

I think I must be doing something wrong. I've tried 3 different USB drives, powered hub etc... and can't get any of them to launch either Autobleem or Bleemsync.

Are you making sure the power is off completely when you put the USB in? If its connected to a live power source then it will knock it back- the USB needs to go in before it's plugged in. 

Otherwise no idea sorry

Getting a bit closer, tried using a microsd card in an adapter and that will boot into Bleemsync but isn't managing to complete the creation of the backups (keeps failing).

Going to try to borrow a couple of USB sticks to see if I can get it working.