For All Mankind (Apple TV+) Whole Series Now Free To Watch

Err, I got some free Apple TV action with my new iPhone.  So I tried this, as it's the only series I've actually heard of.* Does it pick up after the first two episodes? It didn't engage me at all, despite the subject matter/concept being something I'd like, on paper anyway.

(No, I didn't look at the second season trailer to avoid spoilers in case I stick with the series.)

* Series or original film. Had no idea what any of them were that weren't For All Mankind. In fact, I'd probably have forgotten about the existence of Apple TV had my phone not started to pester me the minute I registered it.

1 minute ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Err, I got some free Apple TV action with my new iPhone.  So I tried this, as it's the only series I've actually heard of. Does it pick up after the first two episodes? It didn't engage me at all, despite the subject matter/concept being something I'd like, on paper anyway.

(No, I didn't look at the second season trailer to avoid spoilers in case I stick with the series.)

Just keep watching. 

12 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Err, I got some free Apple TV action with my new iPhone.  So I tried this, as it's the only series I've actually heard of.* Does it pick up after the first two episodes? It didn't engage me at all, despite the subject matter/concept being something I'd like, on paper anyway.

* Series or original film. Had no idea what any of them were that weren't For All Mankind. In fact, I'd probably have forgotten about the existence of Apple TV had my phone not started to pester me the minute I registered it.

Watch Ted Lasso as well, it's brilliant. 

Mystic Quest seems good also, from what I've seen so far (3 episodes).

And A Long Way Up. 

I enjoyed this series greatly. 

• 4 weeks later...

I finally watched this show and it's so, so good. Ron Moore never lets me down! The space sequences in the last couple of episodes were beyond tense and I loved most of the characters. Some very flawed heroes out there. At the end of Episode 9, I really thought that:

Spoiler

Ed had gone off the reservation... I was pretty surprised when the Russian was alive in the finale. Did Ed ever tell anyone about that? Did the Russian? Why wasn't there an international incident? Anyway, the final shot of the season was spectacular and the trailer for season 2 makes it look very exciting indeed. Can't wait! 

I would strongly urge anyone who has Apple TV+ to give For All Mankind a go.

Hmm. Enjoyable return for the most part. Interested to see where this goes.

Regarding S2E1...

Spoiler

Honestly, the radiation thing with Molly just made me angry. I didn’t think “yeah, go on save him”, I simply thought she was a ducking idiot and soured the episode to me. On the face of it her going out to rescue him seems like such predictable and damaging story telling.

If the impact is limited then it makes everyone’s reaction seem overly dramatic and pointless. If the impact is her death (as they imply all this would do) then you are simply left wondering how these people pass psychological screening of any sense.

It depends how it plays out next week and over the series but I think it’d be much more interesting to see self protection from a ‘hero’. To see them do what I think someone with training would do. To see them deal with the loss.

And the whole taking of the dosimeter worry’s me that we’ll spend half the series with her covering up developing symptoms and still trying to go on missions. Putting everyone at risk for her own stubbornness. Once again drama over plot.

Rant over.

Although... I watched this on the high seas last year. My god that was such a better experience than watching officially with Apple TV. My only Apple device is an iPad and my new one gave me a subscription. But to watch on TV requires either a USB-C to HDMI to plug in (don’t have one and my god that’s a shitty solution) or casting a Chrome tab to my TV or the Chromecast. I did the latter and it was passable but fuck Apple, get on and release some apps. I’ll use your service whilst it’s free sub but not jumping hoops for it after that.

Yeah, the app situation is silly. I can watch every other service natively on my TV but need to turn on my PS4 to watch Apple. And even that only came recently. I had been pulling a Chrome tab from my PC to my TV.

I got excited to hear there was a PS4 app. That would be an improvement.

Then my Chromecast with Google TV suggested an Apple TV show because it now has an app too. So hatred solved :blush:

So it’ll be a much better experience next week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only thing I’ve been watching on atv is For All Mankind which is frustrating.  Doesn’t know if it wants to be pure space drama or on earth.  Weird thing was there was nearly a whole episode on events moon side and found myself wishing they would cut back.

22 minutes ago, davidcotton said:

Only thing I’ve been watching on atv is For All Mankind which is frustrating.  Doesn’t know if it wants to be pure space drama or on earth.  Weird thing was there was nearly a whole episode on events moon side and found myself wishing they would cut back.

I enjoyed the first series of this, but I’m really wishing they focussed more on the space exploration and politics than all the relationships, which are largely very dull.

59 minutes ago, jcafarley said:

I enjoyed the first series of this, but I’m really wishing they focussed more on the space exploration and politics than all the relationships, which are largely very dull.

Yeah, same. Not that I’m finding the second season unwatchable or unenjoyable, but it doesn’t seem quite as compelling as the first. Liked the more equal balance of politics, space and characters in that. And it does seem quite obvious where the earth-based scenes are used to skirt round  the lack of effects budget. Hopefully it’ll start to ramp up again next week...

I’m really enjoying FAM series 2. Really engaging, time flies.

But I agree with the points above. It seems a little lost in the number of story threads it’s spun and is struggling to keep them all in line.

From the latest episode...

Spoiler

We end the previous on the Ed and Poole’s new commands, and then Ed having to eject. And after the quick aftermath we move on from that so quickly. A focus on Tracy on the moon and Gordo’s training. I enjoyed all of it but it’s got a bit too much going on so each alternate episode sort of skips half the threads.

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

Holy crap at episodes 7 and 8! Nice mix of background stuff and cool space things. And consequences. 

Yep, it’s all coming together very nicely now. It’s renewed for season three, so I expect we’ll be seeing Mars. 

Really great couple of episodes.

Spoiler

My god, the horror of burning alive in a space suit. Shocking and really turned my stomach. They seemed a bit trigger happy and the whole sequence was a little silly but high impact stuff.

Could maybe do without the Karen/Danny story. It might earn its place later but right now whilst I appreciate the family and drama stuff this just feels a bit too much for me.

Glad Molly came clean to her husband. Interested to see that continue.

I got distracted, did it explain why

Spoiler

They shot them because they were going for their translation card, but when he awoke he knew how to say he wants to defect?

1 hour ago, pledge said:

I got distracted, did it explain why

Hide contents

They shot them because they were going for their translation card, but when he awoke he knew how to say he wants to defect?

They did not. I guess you can just handwave it away by saying he didn’t want to reveal he knew English.

Really enjoying how the series has picked up now. As a show I think it does a good job of blending the ups and downs over an episode. This episode was tense but managed to weave in breathing room without just running off into other unrelated stories. The way they two countries are almost at each other’s throats but things like the joint mission still sort of move forwards albeit tentatively.

Interestingly the joint mission actually happened in real life, but in 1975. I think it’s a Russian ruse on this case, though.

Predictions:

Spoiler

We’ve had private space flight mentioned a few times, so I think that’s inevitable for a developing plot line next season. Unless we get a form of World War III (probably not). Either way, my main prediction is that the Soviet Union sticks round as a global superpower longer in this timeline than it did in reality.

Thought I'd sign up for a month to binge S2 and Apple's Samsung TV app is annoying. Asked for the password about 3 times and then wouldn't let me subscribe by the app anyway. Gave up.  Will try and do it on the computer tonight. Take my fucking money for rockets you idiots!

Last ep of the season

Spoiler

I just knew they were going to just go do the docking themselves and that it would play a big part in defusing the rest of it.

I didn't see bad Robocop shooting Sea Dragon himself though.

RIP Gordo and Tracy :( That was kind of hard to watch.

Well that was great. Totally redeemed and made sense of the last few wishy washy episodes to my eyes. 

Spoiler

The fight in the Pathfinder and the reveal of its solution however was so utterly contrived. Total TV bullshit writing. Why wouldn't he tell his crew that he had changed his mind and run the risk of getting his head blown off and potentially killing the whole crew along with him? Being rendered suddenly suicidal only to reveal his crew were right and he was wrong by firing the missile anyway was not a satisfying moment but a trick on the crew and a trick on the audience, one that made absolutely no sense in the story it was telling. It actually left me quite a bit deflated from what had been a great and tense scene up until then. A total Wargames, "Turn your key, Sir" moment. 

I also thought the marine who was killed infront of Tracy, it might have made for a more poignant moment if for instance we knew of more of a personal connection to him. If he and Tracy had shared more scenes together (other than collegial and that he respected her flying) that some sort of relationship had occurred before Gordo had arrived on the station perhaps. 

It is still an incredibly uneven show and I need to keep reminding myself not to try and pull on the many threads it leaves behind as imo it continues to fly in the face of its real world/hard sci-fi affectations. Yes, the very idea that a PR stunt can have that much of an effect politically, that the Russians wouldn't only stand down and withdraw from Jamestown and presumably give up on the contested mining rights the Americans had staked a claim over is so unbelievable as to be silly but it can also be damn enjoyable.