rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Happy Halloween

Anyone know of a supermarket or shop that is going at £44.99 or below for this? I need to buy a physical version and I forgot to pre-order. Am having my 6 year old for the weekend and I know he really wants to play it... aaaaargh!

Amazon Prime is that price, if you have Prime.

How about the Tescos 2 for £60 offer?

7 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Anyone know of a supermarket or shop that is going at £44.99 or below for this? I need to buy a physical version and I forgot to pre-order. Am having my 6 year old for the weekend and I know he really wants to play it... aaaaargh!

Not exactly what you asked for but it's apparently in the 2 for 60 quid deal at Tesco.  Other games include links awakening, mario odyssey, mario kart 8, Splatoon 2 and super Mario maker 2 amongst others.  

If there's something you've had your eye on for a while it's a cracking deal.

7 minutes ago, Deeptone said:

Not exactly what you asked for but it's apparently in the 2 for 60 quid deal at Tesco.  Other games include links awakening, mario odyssey, mario kart 8, Splatoon 2 and super Mario maker 2 amongst others.  

If there's something you've had your eye on for a while it's a cracking deal.

If that deal is true (and I'll be going into my local Tesco today) you can buy Link's Awakening and Luigi's Mansion 3, play both, then sell for cash to CEX and make £5.

It is indeed true.  Went to the local Tesco last night to pick up Luigi's mansion and links awakening.  Only they wouldn't sell me Luigi as they didn't believe it was out.  

Even showed them the release date on the Nintendo website and they still refused.  This is what happens when you insist on living in deepest Suffolk, though.  Back there tonight, they had better not have sold out.

On 31/10/2019 at 12:12, Majora said:

Control tip: The game tells you to use the A, X and Y buttons for the flash stun, dark light beam and plunger respectively but this leaves you unable to aim with the right stick at the same time.

What it doesn't explicitly make clear unless you look in the settings screen is that you can use RB for the flash stun, LB for plunger and RB+LB for the dark light beam. This means you can actually aim with the right stick while using these moves. Why they don't push the bumpers as the default for these moves is beyond me.

My boy started playing this today and the game advised to use RB and LB etc, in the opening tutorial bit. Presumably it was changed in the update we initially installed. 

I'm actually quite impressed with some of the puzzles in this, especially post 5th floor. I've been stuck several times already, only to take a break from the game and have a eureka moment, fire up the Switch and try it out. Progress :D I've had a couple of rooms that seemed impossible at first, but the solution was always right there, laughing at me. This is just perfect for the dark evenings while enjoying a glass of wine. 

• Upvote 2

I never played the GC game and gave up halfway through the 3DS one. I recall poor check-pointing meaning I had to replay large bits of the game when I died. This doesn't seem to have that and is a quite lovely game. I like how you can just experiment and stuff happens. I wasn't going anywhere near this earlier in the week after feeling a bit let down with Yoshi on Switch but the reviews and this thread won me over. I'm glad they did.

I'll echo what others have said about it feeling quite sedate. I've just given up on Hollow Knight after really struggling with the die and backtracking loop. And getting lost far too often. This is much more the sort of thing I enjoy these days even if the linearity means it may be short lived.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, spacedinvader said:

My boy started playing this today and the game advised to use RB and LB etc, in the opening tutorial bit. Presumably it was changed in the update we initially installed. 

Yeah I noticed this when I originally started it and then found out last night by accident about the other buttons as it was impossible to do it any other way.

Tesco deal is nuts. I was at the counter with Luigi's Mansion 3 and a copy of Link's Awakening then realised, why am I buying a game I don't really want to play?

So I bought two copies of Luigi's Mansion, one will be in CEX tomorrow.

I could buy another two copies and make some more dough but that would be rude.

I've put in a couple of hours so far but I'm wondering, is there any purpose to all this money I'm collecting? Some kind of upgrade system like Dark moon?

Just now, Max Damage said:

I've put in a couple of hours so far but I'm wondering, is there any purpose to all this money I'm collecting? Some kind of upgrade system like Dark moon?

It does have a purpose but doesn't seem super-compelling so far. Maybe the things you can buy get better later on.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Eighthours said:

£44.99 at Argos :) 

4 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

You wouldn't make much. LM3 is going for £35 and Links Awakening £30.

Yeah, the margins are narrow but I'm pleased I essentially got a copy of Luigi's Mansion 3 for £25.

1 minute ago, Mawdlin said:

Yeah, the margins are narrow but I'm pleased I essentially got a copy of Luigi's Mansion 3 for £25.

Oh hell yeah - I almost felt bad walking out of Tesco's earlier with Luigi's Mansion and MarioKart 8 Deluxe.

This is lovely. Took a bit of getting used to rotating Luigi with the right stick rather than just pointing in the direction I wanted to aim at, but after about an hour I really regret that I played most of the second one before never getting back to finish it.

Spoiler

Arrrrgggghhhhhh having fun trying to get the piano boss :) I know what to do but getting a damn bomb into  that piano a third time.... Hmmmm… loving the piano music though :D Also you can buy golden  bones in the shop which effectively are continues from exactly where you died... Handy....  :) 

13 minutes ago, Shoes said:

Going to have to sell this. A shame because it looks so lovely.  

Why? Don't  like it?

Being playing this all day with the 10 y/o boy. Alternating between his profile and mine, so one takes the lead and one plays as Gooigi. We are currently going back to try and get all the gems and boos, some are very well hidden and rewarding to find. It really is extremely fun, rarely frustrating and looks lovely - cut scenes are funny and look great too. 

Can’t say I’m having any troubles with the controls anymore, was a bit fiddly early on though. It’s hard to believe there’s been 2 genuine GOTY contenders in 1 week, with Star Wars, Pokemon and Death Stranding all out in a few weeks too. What a time to be a gamer!

Not sure I like this game. This is my first experience with the series and the fixed camera and controls are both a bit jarring. And Luigi moves so slowly!

Ill stick with it a while longer though, a quick go at lunchtime isn’t enough time to judge!

3 hours ago, Dan said:

£44.99 at Argos :) 

Just a heads up. If you get emails from Argos; they’ve sent out a £5 voucher for purchases over £40. I just spotted it before I left to grab mine via click and collect.  Makes it £39.99. 

• Upvote 1

The wife's niece has had so much fun playing this today I don't have the heart to take it off her. Have said she can keep it for the time being. Might have to see if that 2 for £60 is on near me tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

Has it been mentioned that the right joycon’s motion control can be used to look up/down while aiming the vacuum? Handy for those of us who struggle with the lack of y-axis inversion. 

Mine arrived yesterday together with its sweet looking glow-in-the-dark steelbook.

Since I decided it's going to be my son's birthday present, I shan't be playing it for another 4 weeks. So I went and watched a few reviews and boy does it look promising. LM2 always had the potential of being great, but was ultimately marred by more than a few terrible gameplay elements. This time however, it seems like NLG (finally) pulled it off, and made a game that has that elusive Nintendo difference.

Can't wait to give this a try and get stuck in ... in about 4 weeks' time.

13 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

I've rated them since well before then, as Nintendo did; Mario Smash Football on the GameCube was a polished treasure. I just have a little back and forth injoke going on with Keyboard Koala as historically he's been less generous toward them. 

Punch Out was quietly brilliant, too.

static.jpg