rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Happy Halloween

Just cleaning up missing gems and Boos before the final part. Absolutely the best Nintendo game I've played in years, so many inventive mechanics from a single piece of equipment.

• Upvote 4

59 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Just cleaning up missing gems and Boos before the final part. Absolutely the best Nintendo game I've played in years, so many inventive mechanics from a single piece of equipment.

Is it worth collecting them all? 

Just finished this lovely game.

Final floor/endgame spoilers:

Whoever thought that adding a timer to a boss battle in which you have to wait fucking ages through several attacks to get the brief chance to attack needs a proper slap on the wrist.

I think I can forgive the dev team though for the surprising tribute to Oldboy's hallway fight.

Graphics, animation, sound and music are all first class, as is the puzzle and floor design, with just a few little annoying difficulty spikes here and there, and the controls are the best they've been in the series so far. I was a bit disappointed with the second game but this more than makes up for it; very well done!

• Upvote 4

I've only been playing this for an hour or so but I've already decided that it's the absolute tits. Exploring the map, finding secrets, searching every nook and cranny for little knick-knacks or Easter eggs - I fucking love that shit. Each room is a self-contained puzzle box of treasures. It reminds me of Captain Toad.

Looking forward to getting stuck into this properly!

• Upvote 6

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've only been playing this for an hour or so but I've already decided that it's the absolute tits. Exploring the map, finding secrets, searching every nook and cranny for little knick-knacks or Easter eggs - I fucking love that shit. Each room is a self-contained puzzle box of treasures. It reminds me of Captain Toad.

Looking forward to getting stuck into this properly!

That’s one for the Nintendo adverts - Luigis mansion 3, it’s the absolute tits! :lol:

• Upvote 2

Played a few hours of this with my daughter over the weekend and we both absolutely love it. The first game was charming and inventive but quite bare bones and limited, the second was fully fleshed out but lost a little of the charm and invention among the way. This has it all. It looks amazing too, the quality of visuals Nintendo gets out the Switch is just phenomenal. 

Yeah, it's very much followed the Pikmin pattern of ace, inventive, but limited original, a sequel that expanded the ideas a bit, but made missteps, and then a third that delivers the sequel the first game deserved and more. It's also absolutely up there with the quality of something like Captain Toad, possibly exceeding it, which is quite an achievement for Next Level. It also manages to work very well in both single player and multiplayer. I'm back to the 11th floor with my nephew and all its playful charm and invention is still all so evident. Comfortably my favourite brand new game Nintendo have released since Mario Odyssey. Fingers crossed for some new floor DLC.

• Upvote 2

I'll spoiler this as it's something I was kind of expecting to happen, but it didn't.

Spoiler

I was expecting King Boo & Hellen Gravely to lay some kind of trap for Luigi where he's separated from the Poltergust & without it is captured easily.  But, then E Gadd is able to remote-activate Gooigi & you play through a section as him in order to free Luigi & continue the game.

Did the polterkitty bit last night and it was nowhere near as bad as some had made out. Seemed a bit pointless but I guess they wanted to throw in a bit more variety. As if there wasn’t enough already. 

I love the way so many of the floors seem so different, not only in their themes but also in the structure and gameplay. Yes you’re ultimate sucking up ghosts but getting to the point is hugely varied and lovely to boot. It’s a tremendous effort and easily the best in the series so far. 

• Upvote 3

I just made a start on this and it seems lovely. I’ve just met E. Gadd so have done a few ghost encounters and like it. The controls seem ok, in an Resi 

dent Evil tank controls, “they do what I want 60% of the time” sort of way.

Looks quite nice too. Bit blurrier than I’d like on a 4K screen but that’s my fault for having one. 

I found this thing after fighting the piano boss, but can't figure out what to do with it. Do I need to come back later?

Spoiler

VCOANp4.jpg

Also, walking around the level like this was pretty great:

C6R57A6.jpg

I just did the castle floor and really enjoyed it. Prior to that, I was getting a bit sick of the constant interruptions, cutscenes, E. Gadd phone calls, etc. 

22 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I found this thing after fighting the piano boss, but can't figure out what to do with it. Do I need to come back later?

Hide contents

VCOANp4.jpg

Also, walking around the level like this was pretty great:

C6R57A6.jpg

I just did the castle floor and really enjoyed it. Prior to that, I was getting a bit sick of the constant interruptions, cutscenes, E. Gadd phone calls, etc. 

I'm up to about the same bit as you and was wondering about that projector thing, too.

You can turn E. Gadd off in the settings menu, btw. I only realised this myself once he'd ruined several puzzles!

I'm still enjoying this a lot. It's a bit repetitive and it's a shame that all the money you spend so much time hoovering up isn't really used for anything interesting, so far, anyway (I'm not going to buy any of the gem locators until I need to). However, the attention to detail and core gameplay built around squinting at every new room you encounter to find the secrets is still extremely satisfying. I also like how, beyond the fourth floor, the setting seems to turn into a giant vertical theme park and gives up all pretence of actually being a hotel. It really makes you look forward to what the next floor holds.

• Upvote 2

I'm midway through now at about 8 hours and this has started to lose its lustre a bit, unfortunately. The sewer level is intensely shit.

• Empathy 1

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm midway through now at about 8 hours and this has started to lose its lustre a bit, unfortunately. The sewer level is intensely shit.

My daughter said she didn’t want to play the game ever again during that level. Next one won her back round thankfully.

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

I don’t get the hate for that level. I really enjoyed it. 

9 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

My daughter said she didn’t want to play the game ever again during that level. Next one won her back round thankfully.

It's fine apart from the controls for the dinghy. Very frustrating. Thankfully I'm beyond it now.

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Anyone able to help with this chest? I’ve tried everything I can think of:

Hide contents

MNsN9bW.jpg

Spoiler

Use the "ladder".

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Hide contents

Use the "ladder".

Spoiler

The mushrooms on the left? I tried that but couldn’t seem to interact with it. 

I’ve moved on to Paranormal Productions now, anyway. 

I am enjoying it. It’s clever, looks lovely and is very charming, but it’s also all a bit simple so far. Most of the puzzles and secrets can be found (and often have to be found) by simply ransacking everything you come across.

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Hide contents

The mushrooms on the left? I tried that but couldn’t seem to interact with it. 

I’ve moved on to Paranormal Productions now, anyway. 

I am enjoying it. It’s clever, looks lovely and is very charming, but it’s also all a bit simple so far. Most of the puzzles and secrets can be found (and often have to be found) by simply ransacking everything you come across.

Spoiler

Yes - IIRC you just walk into them and the climbing animation happens automatically.

• Upvote 1

Just wanted to add my love for LM3 too... It's an absolute gem of a game. I'm playing through it with the help of my 7 year old twins sat either side of me, who LOVE the games humour and tension. The controls are a bit too fiddly for them to play themselves, but they're great at making suggestions when I'm stuck ("Try using Gooigi!" or "Shine your torch over there!"). It really fires up their imagination. After we've finished playing a session, before they go to bed, they like to re-enact the game in our house (lights off, torches in hand). Priceless. THIS is Nintendo at its most magnificent.

EDIT: My children are FURIOUS at the 7/10 Edge score.

• Upvote 8

I stopped playing this for weeks after Polterkitty. I put it on last night and soldiered on, but with 7 hours on the clock I’m ready for this to end. 

And the controls still suck. 

4 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

I stopped playing this for weeks after Polterkitty. I put it on last night and soldiered on, but with 7 hours on the clock I’m ready for this to end. 

And the controls still suck. 

FYI I'm looking to buy a copy if you or anyone else wants to sell it (see wanted folder - PM me)

6 minutes ago, Hylian said:

FYI I'm looking to buy a copy if you or anyone else wants to sell it (see wanted folder - PM me)

If Colonel Panic doesn't want to part with his copy then I'll be done with mine in a few days, I imagine, so I'll let you know once I do. Only got the last two floors to go now.

• Upvote 1

On 30/11/2019 at 17:13, Jamie John said:

Ah keep going it has its ups and downs but on par there is something in it for most... I actually liked the sewer level messing around on the rubber ring.... 

For me it has been one of the games I really enjoyed and completed this year... Overall despite the odd bit that grated a bit found it a really fun game to play.

I did the polterkitty bit last night. At least, I:

Spoiler

Found her three times, took all tails off and got the button back. Didn't capture it, though.

Is that the bit that everyone hates? It was ok.