rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Happy Halloween

Yeah. It was a little bit tedious but nothing too bad. 

The whole game is very impressive - packed full of charm and nice little ideas. It’s like playing a cartoon. It’s just a little bit  dull. I think if my kids were old enough to play it, it would be the best game ever, though. 

• Empathy 1

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah. It was a little bit tedious but nothing too bad. 

The whole game is very impressive - packed full of charm and nice little ideas. It’s like playing a cartoon. It’s just a little bit  dull. I think if my kids were old enough to play it, it would be the best game ever, though. 

I've finished the game now and posted my full impressions in the completed games thread, but I just wanted to emphasise that I think this is definitely the case as well.

• Upvote 2

Can the whole game be co-oped? My understanding is you need to “unlock“ Gooigi first, is that right? I’m getting this for my sister’s Christmas and wondered if I could play co-op with her over a few days of the holiday, thus saving me having to buy it for myself. What a thoughtful gift.

Oh, and what are the other multiplayer mini-games like? Our other sister is coming down for a few days with her husband between Christmas and New Year. Will those wee games provide decent short bouts of bants with booze?

Gooigi only takes about 90 mins to unlock. Not sure about the mini games. 

I’m on floor 11 and flagging a bit. I’m not sure whether I should leave it a bit and come back fresh or if that’ll end up with me not bothering to finish it. 

32 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Gooigi only takes about 90 mins to unlock. Not sure about the mini games. 

I’m on floor 11 and flagging a bit. I’m not sure whether I should leave it a bit and come back fresh or if that’ll end up with me not bothering to finish it. 

I started to get a bit bored around that point as well. It's fairly easy to pick up again, so you may want to leave it for a bit.

The 

Spoiler

Pirate ship

level is good, even if you do have to do another bloody 

Spoiler

Polterkitty section to access it.

Oh dear. Yeah, I think I’m at that bit now. E. Gadd has asked me to do some backtracking to go get a part which sounded bad enough without it turning into that. 

Everything in this game is just one dick move after another. I’m genuinely surprised when you get a button back to the bloody elevator without a ghost coming out of nowhere and eating it or something similarly annoying. It really does start to wear thin.

I read the Edge review the other day and I’m pretty sure it spoiled the level you mentioned, as well. 

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Oh dear. Yeah, I think I’m at that bit now. E. Gadd has asked me to do some backtracking to go get a part which sounded bad enough without it turning into that. 

Everything in this game is just one dick move after another. I’m genuinely surprised when you get a button back to the bloody elevator without a ghost coming out of nowhere and eating it or something similarly annoying. It really does start to wear thin.

I read the Edge review the other day and I’m pretty sure it spoiled the level you mentioned, as well. 

Thankfully those backtracking bits are relatively short, so it's not too much of a pain, but it still feels very unnecessary, and it leaves a sour taste.

It's a shame if the Edge review did spoil it. I read it as well and thought that what they had to say about the game was pretty bang on. I agreed with their score, too, although some have complained about it being too low.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Thankfully those backtracking bits are relatively short, so it's not too much of a pain, but it still feels very unnecessary, and it leaves a sour taste.

It's a shame if the Edge review did spoil it. I read it as well and thought that what they had to say about the game was pretty bang on. I agreed with their score, too, although some have complained about it being too low.

I decided to stick with it, and I’m glad I did. The last three floors in the game are excellent.

I’m on the final boss and I don’t really know what they were thinking with this difficulty spike. It’s as though they tried to make a boss to highlight all the problems with the controls. 

Should have bought the stupid bone things. 

• Empathy 2

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

Should have bought the stupid bone things. 

Yup.

I think I only used one for the final boss, though. Is there definitely no way to stock up?

36 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yup.

I think I only used one for the final boss, though. Is there definitely no way to stock up?

Think I have to reload to before the point of no return and go to the lab and buy them. I’ve not bought anything else, so far. 

edit: Wouldn’t you know it, as soon as I went and bought five of them, I went and completed it in one life, anyway. 

In the end, this clocked in at 12h26 minutes and it felt like it outstayed it’s welcome. As I mentioned, the last three levels are by far the best. Even disregarding what I said before about it being elevated by playing with kids, I think it could be a much better game by being about 8-10 hours long and not being full of dull fights with normal ghosts (which later on just serve as padding), the backtracking and obviously, if they spent a bit of time making the controls less horrible. 

Edge’s 7 is probably right but at times feels slightly generous. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Think I have to reload to before the point of no return and go to the lab and buy them. I’ve not bought anything else, so far. 

edit: Wouldn’t you know it, as soon as I went and bought five of them, I went and completed it in one life, anyway. 

In the end, this clocked in at 12h26 minutes and it felt like it outstayed it’s welcome. As I mentioned, the last three levels are by far the best. Even disregarding what I said before about it being elevated by playing with kids, I think it could be a much better game by being about 8-10 hours long and not being full of dull fights with normal ghosts (which later on just serve as padding), the backtracking and obviously, if they spent a bit of time making the controls less horrible. 

Edge’s 7 is probably right but at times feels slightly generous. 

You got through it a lot more quickly than I did! Did you bother with the gems?

5 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

You got through it a lot more quickly than I did! Did you bother with the gems?

I didn’t really go out of my way to find them. I expect I’ve got about 60-70% total. I didn’t get much satisfaction from the ones I did get, so didn’t bother hunting the rest out. 

I’n on Floor 6 and whilst it’s cranked up a notch, and is still very charming, the repetitiveness and simplicity is starting to grate a little and knowing I’m only a third of the way through makes me worry my enthusiasm will give out.

Main gripe right now is the aiming controls are inadequate for the job of tackling these bosses. Very frustrating to judge aiming projectiles from this viewing angle with tank controls and no lock-on. Unless I’m missing something.

6 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I’n on Floor 6 and whilst it’s cranked up a notch, and is still very charming, the repetitiveness and simplicity is starting to grate a little and knowing I’m only a third of the way through makes me worry my enthusiasm will give out.

Main gripe right now is the aiming controls are inadequate for the job of tackling these bosses. Very frustrating to judge aiming projectiles from this viewing angle with tank controls and no lock-on. Unless I’m missing something.

Stick with it... Found the variety on each level fantastic. Some have more puzzles etc than others so breaks it up a lot.

Not sure about controls never really had an issue with them however mainly used a pro controller to play. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Stick with it... Found the variety on each level fantastic. Some have more puzzles etc than others so breaks it up a lot.

Not sure about controls never really had an issue with them however mainly used a pro controller to play. 

Good to know.

I struggled with the piano boss because aiming the bombs was a nightmare. Now I think I've got to plunger the armour off the knight boss. Not sure why the controls aren't clicking I always end up facing the wrong way - and that's after I reverted the controls to simple mode (like the original Luigi's Mansion).

5 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Good to know.

I struggled with the piano boss because aiming the bombs was a nightmare. Now I think I've got to plunger the armour off the knight boss. Not sure why the controls aren't clicking I always end up facing the wrong way - and that's after I reverted the controls to simple mode (like the original Luigi's Mansion).

Are you using the bumpers for plunging and flashing, as opposed to the face buttons? That got me for a while, as the game doesn't explicitly tell you about the bumpers, but if you try to use the face buttons while hoovering then you run out of thumbs.

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

Anyone being playing the multiplayer stuff on rhis? Is it any good?

Played one of them with a friend in local multiplayer but we were both left feeling unimpressed. It felt tacked on. 

Regarding the aiming - the game locks on to the target once your aim gets close enough. It can be frustrating if you fight it and don’t let it work with you but once you get a feel for it, it all becomes too easy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Are you using the bumpers for plunging and flashing, as opposed to the face buttons? That got me for a while, as the game doesn't explicitly tell you about the bumpers, but if you try to use the face buttons while hoovering then you run out of thumbs.

I used the bumpers for everything, as otherwise you basically can’t aim unless you stand stock still. Holding L+R does dark light. 

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I used the bumpers for everything, as otherwise you basically can’t aim unless you stand stock still. Holding L+R does dark light. 

WHAT!? For fuck's sake. I didn't realise that. Would have saved me a load of grief :seanr:

When does the game tell you that?

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

WHAT!? For fuck's sake. I didn't realise that. Would have saved me a load of grief :seanr:

When does the game tell you that?

It doesn’t, unsurprisingly. Another baffling decision in an otherwise highly polished game. I think I read it in here or heard it on a podcast or something. 

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I am not using the bumpers. Fucksake. Thanks @Jamie John.

I switch nozzle control (heh heh) to horizontal only, used gyro for up/down and bumpers for everything possible. Best of a bad bunch, IMO, and works pretty good when you get used to it.

Needs way better lock-on options. And a run button. And a faster run. But you play the hand you're dealt, right?!

• Upvote 1