rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Luigi's Mansion 3 - Happy Halloween

I thought this was excellent. A very solid 8/10 game. Absolutely beautiful too. You can keep your 12 terraflops for all I care - I'll have some more of this Switch magic! Barring the slightly wonky controls, it was a joy to play. I actually thought there was very little fat and it took me 18 hours! I didn't even really mind the polterkitty stuff. I agree with @b00dles - my only major complaint is that some of the ideas weren't developed enough. I'd have preferred fewer floors with more to each. The lack of development of the paranormal productions floor was criminal! 

@grindmouse IMO the floors get more interesting from that point onwards both in terms of puzzles and aesthetically. But yeah, gameplay wise you've pretty much seen it.

The major issue I had with the controls is that you couldn't turn off the face buttons. I'd have preferred to use just bumpers but my stupid brain couldn't unlearn the flashlight and sucker face buttons. This got me in a pickle when precise aiming was required. And the vertical gyro seemed a bit hit and miss both handheld and with pro controller.

I also agree with others on the money - totally pointless. I ended up with 40K unspent I think!

• Upvote 3

That fucking floating boss  can fuck right off and when it’s fucked off it can fuck itself. 

• Empathy 1

10 hours ago, wretcherd said:

@Strafe Have you tried switching control methods?

To what? I've beaten the guy now, it was just specifically the floatation device controls that I struggled with.

What's the verdict on this now time has passed? I'm tempted to pick it up to play this weekend. 

Does it suit a quick 20/30 minute blast on the train? 

9 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

What's the verdict on this now time has passed? I'm tempted to pick it up to play this weekend. 

Yeah. It saves the game after every room and so you can play in short blasts if you want too. It is quite a long game though. You really do get your moneys worth.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

It’s wonderful fun and you’ll love it.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I absolutely loved it and yes. 

• Upvote 1

Mechanic boss is just awful. Took two bones to finish it, horrible. 

Otherwise the game is lovely but this could easily have ruined it. Is there anything else as bad left? 

• Upvote 1

The last few levels are the best in the game, so worth sticking with. I didn’t bother getting all the gems and boos once complete, felt I’d had enough of it after 15 hours. 

12 hours ago, Chooch said:

Mechanic boss is just awful. Took two bones to finish it, horrible. 

Otherwise the game is lovely but this could easily have ruined it. Is there anything else as bad left? 

Definitely the toughest boss I've seen so far, and I'm on the last floor now. Most of the bosses are almost a pleasure to battle, especially when you realise what's required. On the whole (as someone who doesn't enjoy "boss fights" I really liked them in LM3. Except for the one you mentioned, he was ANNOYING.

The last boss frustrated me I stopped playing maybe I’ll have another go at it 

‘’the one in the rubber ring was a pain also but the other bosses have been great 

I never got on with the 3DS sequel. But this tempts me due to all the positive feedback. 

I’ve been loving this game up until the sodding mechanic boss on the inflatable rubber ducky. Relieved to see others have found it similarly frustrating.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

On 04/03/2020 at 09:08, DC Lemon said:

0:47 Nintendo hates us.

Kid: "Hey dad, look at all the cool upgrades for LM3 !"

Me: "Hmpf; it's just a bunch of overpriced costumes... oh wait... "

:hmm:

Oh shit there's a 

Spoiler

mother fucking buzz saw

in this. Amazing.

One floor per evening on this on co-op is great but the boss design is consistently the absolute pits and pitched at a completely different level of complexity and difficulty.

• Upvote 2

The Hellen Gravely boss battle is the closest I have come to smashing my Switch into the ground.

Got her down to 1 health on third attempt.

The lasers just appear out of nowhere it’s hugely frustrating.

It was worth playing this game beyond the garden floor, some inventive ideas, I didn’t even mind basement. But the controls are a clusterfuck (even with triggers) and will be glad to pass on.

Edit: King Boo fight is much better. A Mario standard boss fight. But the controls are still incredibly frustrating.

No wait, the King Boo fight is also trash. Impossible to aim with this camera and these controls. 

The game is a 7 at best. But that’s forgiving it a lot of terrible design choices.

A 5/10 that gets by as a 7/10 thanks to it’s production values and a lot of good will.

On 17/03/2020 at 20:55, grindmouse said:

Haven’t ragequit many games but those last bosses were disgusting.

Removed cart, deleted software.

:)

C'mon I'm generally crap at games and I managed to finish it.... Show some backbone and put yer dummy back in.... :D

Did your game get saved to the cloud?! 

• Empathy 1

Managed to do the Sewer Boss last night after 5 or 6 attempts, real stinker of a level from start to finish and the boss topped it off.

Didn't like that one at all, apart from that it's been ok, there are some good parts and some which feel like a chore (Kitty being one, what a dragged out idea).

Onto Floor 10 now so nearly there, I was trying to think back to finishing both the first and second and the second seems to have completely left my mind, so this is defo an improvement. 

• Upvote 1

On 18/03/2020 at 21:52, MattyP said:

:)

C'mon I'm generally crap at games and I managed to finish it.... Show some backbone and put yer dummy back in.... :D

Did your game get saved to the cloud?! 

Been 6 weeks since I deleted and sold this on. Feels a lot longer with lockdown obviously.

Final boss talk:

The issue with the last boss is that it's very difficult to get to the last form with out taking some damage, and it's also random whether it's possible to collect hearts in between the different attack patterns as this can often result in incurring more damage. So you get him down to his final form and you're likely low on health and the game gives you a short window to aim your weapon, if you mistime it you take damage and judging depth and angles from the camera perspective is utter bullshit. If you miss the shot, which I did many attempts in a row... you have to then repeat another 3-4 attack patterns, elongating the boss fight, which always ended in death and restarting from the beginning. It was no fun at all - once you'd reached the final form a few times and fudged the shot it became tedious.

I do not regret bailing at all, but I should probably watch the ending on YT for closure.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Been 6 weeks since I deleted and sold this on. Feels a lot longer with lockdown obviously.

Final boss talk:

Reveal hidden contents

The issue with the last boss is that it's very difficult to get to the last form with out taking some damage, and it's also random whether it's possible to collect hearts in between the different attack patterns as this can often result in incurring more damage. So you get him down to his final form and you're likely low on health and the game gives you a short window to aim your weapon, if you mistime it you take damage and judging depth and angles from the camera perspective is utter bullshit. If you miss the shot, which I did many attempts in a row... you have to then repeat another 3-4 attack patterns, elongating the boss fight, which always ended in death and restarting from the beginning. It was no fun at all - once you'd reached the final form a few times and fudged the shot it became tedious.

I do not regret bailing at all, but I should probably watch the ending on YT for closure.

:) I didn't enjoy the final boss that much either but I do get determined to finish something when I get so close to the end... Think the movement on LM3 was a bit sluggish at times too which doesn't help!