Deathloop - Tales from the Loop

Mr Do 71

16 hours ago, jonamok said:

Not sure this is for me. Just spent ages getting to and killing Harriet. Getting her nexus slab. Then it says to exit level if I want to infuse it. Well, duh. At this point I have 20,000 residuum. Seems my only way out is past a load of her followers, and while trying to nexus them I get swamped and lose all that progress. No slab for you, start again. Fuck that.

Also, why can’t I inspect my weapons/loadout mid-level? Unless I’m missing it in the awful menus that’s a terrible decision.

Trade-in is beckoning.

It’s hard to see the lack of an inventory as anything but a dumbing down of Arkane gameplay systems. E.g. I can’t switch which shortcuts my weapons are on except by finding a weapon I don’t want, then throwing weapons on the floor and juggling them around that way. Then again if you remember that almost nothing survives the loop, you can kind of understand the lack of junk and inventory to hold it all. But I loved shoving all my junk into the recycler in Prey. Best bit of the game! 

The menus seem passable with a DualSense, but I quickly went back to mouse and keys and they’re really difficult. Every menu is different with some minor annoyance. The mouse wheel scrolls a different number of lines of text each time. You can click on some button prompts but not others . The screen for selecting which terminal message or confirming to leave a level is a nightmare, it’s a vertical list of messages which neither mouse wheel or W/S scroll through, and the cursor is invisible. So you have to wiggle the mouse until it starts to switch message and then imagine a cursor in your head. It’s all a bit too annoying and in need of a usability pass. 

My sincere hope is all these slightly underwhelming bits and pieces make up a fantastic whole. Hopefully I’ll start to see the patterns and causalities between the different times of day and think about changes I need to make to bend the loop to my will on a more macro level. 

Good example of the mouse issue doing the rounds:

It's not stutter exactly, and it's not related to performance as it only happens with a mouse. It's worse when you're looking at something far away, the effect is more pronounced. 

Cue "what am I meant to be seeing" and "runs OK for me" etc

17 hours ago, spanx said:

Really fancy this, just really conflicted given I can have it free in a year. Probably with better performance too. 

But then again, I am an impatient idiot. So I’ll probably buy it later. 

I thought similar but, in fairness, what games outside of Nintendo games are not going to be free in 12 months either through PS Plus or Gamepass or reduced to such an extent that they are very cheap. If you want Day 1 you pay a premium, the games get cheaper the longer you leave it. 

13 hours ago, Moz said:

Yeah I've just realised the game doesn't have an inventory at all when you're in mission. That seems like a huge step back for Arkane.

Anyway I went looking for Egor. After hipfiring at a few sub-Borderlands-AI enemies for a couple of minutes I noticed a purple blob miles away taking shots at me. I fired back and killed him in one or two hits, then watched his slab fall through the map. Can't finish any of those leads in this loop now. I'm going to bed.

YH2vWPh.jpeg

One of the PlayStation game cards says to be careful because if you kill them in a way that makes their remains inaccessible you won’t be able to pick up the slab.

So it’s more by design

It fell straight through the map as I killed him. It didn't roll off the ledge etc. I was stood there trying to figure out if I could get it somehow. I jumped down there to have a look and it was under the level geometry. Others have had the same problem, someone mentioned it in a review (maybe ACG?)

I did nearly have a 'by design' instance though when I killed Julianna on a roof and couldn't find my way up there to get it. I eventually did it with an awkward double jump.

Help me out with something. If I've got two infused slabs (or weapons) equipped, and I come across an item I want, I have to drop an infused item to pick up the non-infused item. I take it back, infuse it. Is the one I dropped is just... gone? Or does it come back at the start of the next loop when it fully resets? Is the system "you can drop this and pick up a different one to infuse it, but the one you've dropped is gone for the rest of the loop", or "you can drop this and pick up a different one to infuse it, but the one you've dropped is gone until you find it and infuse it again".

if it's the latter, I should walk around with an empty slab/weapon slot at all times to pick up new slabs/guns I want to infuse without dropping anything?

16 minutes ago, Moz said:

Help me out with something. If I've got two infused slabs (or weapons) equipped, and I come across an item I want, I have to drop an infused item to pick up the non-infused item. I take it back, infuse it. Is the one I dropped is just... gone? Or does it come back at the start of the next loop when it fully resets? Is the system "you can drop this and pick up a different one to infuse it, but the one you've dropped is gone for the rest of the loop", or "you can drop this and pick up a different one to infuse it, but the one you've dropped is gone until you find it and infuse it again".

if it's the latter, I should walk around with an empty slab/weapon slot at all times to pick up new slabs/guns I want to infuse without dropping anything?

Anything you've infused comes back on the next loop, even if you drop it. Edit: And even if you trash it, I think.

1 hour ago, Mr Do 71 said:

A big thanks to the PS5 players for beta testing this game.  🤣  😉

It’s ok, we’ll make your first day (ha) playing hell as we rush through and start julianne ing you.

no idea how to handle one running havoc.

Not surprised this has reviewed so well. Arkane have carved out a niche for themselves that no-one else can touch and for me they’re one of the very best devs around who always deliver, so I had every faith that they’d come up with the goods once again.

There’s a load of NoClip documentaries that give a fascinating insight into Arkane’s approach to game design and they just released the latest one about Prey today:

Hence the 😉.

On a more serious note as an Xbox and PS5 owner I am still on the fence about whether to wait or not on Deathloop.  I don't need it immediately as I have a shit ton of games on the go, so will deffo be waiting on a price drop but can I hold out for a full year to get it for nowt? (I know it is not really nowt, but it is for me because I already subscribe to GP regardless of whether Deathloop is on it ot not so there!!!).

5 hours ago, Giddas said:

They’re dropping the superior PC platform? 😨

the PC is an Xbox, unless you’re running Linux I suppose.

(I don’t think there’s any guarantees of performant Proton compatibility)

On 14/09/2021 at 19:28, Moz said:

I'm a couple of hours in now, it's enjoyable but it's very explainy. I'm still seeing tutorials, text, tooltips and conversations explaining the structure and systems spewing all over the screen, sometimes getting cut short by each other. Outer Wilds gave the player a single unskippable conversation and then let them figure everything else out by themselves for the next 30 hours. Hopefully Deathloop eases off the incessant tutorialisation a bit. The gameplay itself feels great compared to Dishonored and Prey, but also seems fairly shallow thanks to the stupid AI and simplistic stealth. Almost like an afterthought to the concept and systems at the moment, which wasn't the case with Dishonored or Prey. I'm genuinely struggling to distract the guards because they won't investigate anything that falls right at their feet. This ends up making the stealth unintuitive so everything becomes a gunfight, and those are extremely easy. It seems trivial to kill everyone in the level at the moment. The nice thing is, there's no pressure to do everything perfectly or worry about "playing it wrong" because you'll repeat areas multiple times with different gear etc.

This is a good summary. There’s so much to read, this is a personal gripe so not a problem with the game (it’s a problem with me!) - I just don’t like doing lots of reading in games. 

Sometimes you get a bit to read, which is well written but a lot is written at a high level. Maybe I just don’t read good. But it flashes up a little summary of what this actually means, but that seems to disappear somewhere (which would be helpful to keep about!). 

I did wonder if I was doing something wrong with the stealth, but it does seem very trivial. The gunfights too are immensely easy, which is good as everything seems to end up in a gunfight (for me, maybe ability related) so I’m just shooting my way through everything. 

Is everyone finding the shooting ok? I felt the aiming/aim acceleration/aim assist always a bit fiddly in Dishonoured and Prey but less shooting so not too bad. Lots in this so far, especially on invasions (which I’ve now disabled) and I’ve tried tweaking it but it feels like it just goes from nothing to jerking in a direction, especially using ADS. 

Yes, I've seen quite a few people complaining about the "acceleration curves" on the joysticks. Not really my area of expertise. But the aim assist is so strong (at least when I plugged my dualsense into my PC) that I think it probably doesn't matter too much in combat. But could be very annoying for movement.

While Arkane are "investigating" the same stuttering issues which plagued Dishonored and Dishonored 2 as if they're a surprise, I can give you some advice from days of fiddling and reading.

The game simply doesn't run well at any framerate which isn't a multiple of 30. 30/60/120 fps are all smooth, anything close to or inbetween those isn't. The stuttering juddering mouse appears over 60fps.

What I've done to fix this on a 160hz monitor is:

Nvidia Console:

Max framerate 60

VSYNC: ON
GSYNC: ON

In the game: 

VSYNC: OFF
Either adaptive resolution OFF, if you can hit a constant 60fps, OR

Adaptive resolution: Manual, target of 60FPS

Maximum FPS: 60

Then whatever settings you like under advanced, as long as the framerate never dips below 60.

Unless you've got a version of the game from the future, you're not running this at a constant 120fps no matter how good your PC is, even on lowest settings, at any resolution. The drops are still frequent in larger areas once you get over 60fps.

With these settings I'm able to maintain a constant 60FPS which makes the mouse feel smooth finally. What a palaver though.

There's a Digital Foundry guy investigating now and he's confirmed there are mouse issues over 60fps where inputs are being dropped as the mouse tracks, causing the stuttering. This is getting some traction now so hopefully Arkane can finally fix this issue rather than requiring everyone to wait five years and buy a new PC to be able to run their games at 120fps solid.

Pretty frustrating when you go in and get the loot and die on the way out. The trip mines are causing me a nightmare.

Juliana turned up but I could figure out if it was a real person or AI. Had a real person killed me I would have turned that feature off.

5 minutes ago, tobert said:

For a brand new game which has reviewed incredibly well, there is surprisingly little buzz in here.

hasn’t got the flashy graphics and rote gameplay of R&C, or the balls hardness of Returnal, so falls between two stools and a load of PC settings chat.

2 hours ago, MattKB said:

Sometimes you get a bit to read, which is well written but a lot is written at a high level. Maybe I just don’t read good. But it flashes up a little summary of what this actually means, but that seems to disappear somewhere (which would be helpful to keep about!). I

menu -> tutorials

main menu -> documents

main menu -> L3 (for information on what you’re currently pointing at)

22 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Pretty frustrating when you go in and get the loot and die on the way out. The trip mines are causing me a nightmare.

Juliana turned up but I could figure out if it was a real person or AI. Had a real person killed me I would have turned that feature off.

A real Juliana showed up for me last night and locked my tunnels just as I was carrying a new slab and 25000 residium out of a map. We had a fairly long, tactical fight which was great fun and I added another 10k to the residium pot after it so was able to infuse pretty much everything. Felt awesome.

True, I may have felt different had she won and I lost it all, however I thought the tension, and more tactical and meaningful fight, added a lot to the experience over just some AI baddies you can slaughter in seconds. That little bit of soulsborne campfire stuff gives it an edge. Obviously not for everyone but I'm liking it.

Overall I'm have a great time with this. :D 

33 minutes ago, tobert said:

For a brand new game which has reviewed incredibly well, there is surprisingly little buzz in here.

Well it's also a mystery game so people probably don;t want to spoil stuff, I played for 2 hours straight last night, killed my first two visionaries, loads of stuff added to my journal or whatever, I'm liking it, unfortunately I'll be away for 2 weeks from Monday so won't be finishing it any time soon.

Having to escape with a big haul of slab and residuum is a definite highlight for me. It helps that you usually get back to where you were quite quickly if it goes wrong, I think, even if it took a while first time round.

I also think this is a game that reveals how good it is quite gradually, and certainly after the opening few hours, which are enjoyable but hardly amazing.

1 hour ago, tobert said:

I really like it. I’m kinda just playing at at the moment trying to understand a lot of stuff. My goal right now is to just pick an area and go explore and kill stuff.

I find the combat really fun and you can die very easily if your not looking out.

It’s great. It’s not a masterpiece but it’s great in the same way Prey was. They could have called this Prey 2, it’s got about as much in common as Prey had with Prey 360.

So, what slabs do people actually find useful?

I only have three:

Spoiler

Shift: Absolutely essential for navigation, finding secrets, and getting the drop on eternalists and turrets.

Nexus: Not really adding much to my mostly stealthy headshot play. Barely used it as a result.

Karnesis: Only just got it but not sure in what situations it would beat a single round or burst of gunfire to the face.

What should I go for next that has good synergy with my first slab, above?

Can someone who has this explain how item/weapon/power selection works in this? I've always found it to be the weakest aspect of immersive sims on consoles and it's one of the main reasons I'm waiting for the Xbox version - so I can take advantage of the Elite controller paddles for weapon selection.

From watching videos it looks like you use the d-pad to select what's in your left hand. Tap left to select gadget, tap up to select super-power, and maybe tap right to dual-wield your second gun? 

It also looks like you keep the d-pad direction held down to bring up radial menus that allow you to change which gadget or power is pre-selected. Is that correct? Does that stop/slow the gameplay? I guess not if there's potentially another player on the map with you.

Right hand looks like it's standard FPS stuff - L2 to aim-down sights, R2 to fire, Triangle to swap between your two guns and R1 to melee.

TBH, if I've got that right it sounds like quite a good system, as long as I have map d-pad left and d-pad up to the paddles!