Deathloop - Tales from the Loop

Mr Do 71

Heh yeah I did try and post it a bit further up but it wouldn't embed. On all my usual haunts, GAF, ERA, Reddit, here, the reaction seems to be universal. Most people think it's somewhere between disappointing and OK, a few crusty old immersive sim Grandads like me think it's pretty poor in that context but just about OK in a vacuum. Steam reviews seem about the same. Reaction to the gushing praise seems universally confused. "One of the most incredible games I’ve ever played" says Polygon. "a new high watermark for Arkane and developers of similar games to aspire to" says IGN. When you can CTRL-F most reviews of this game and they don't contain the words "easy" or "downgrade akin to Deus Ex Invisible War", something very wrong has happened.

40 minutes ago, Ry said:

This made me laugh. 

Especially the part ripping the piss out of "Masterpiece" 

The kick at 1:47 :D

Giving this a pass for the time being.

@Moz "downgrade akin to Invisible War" is one of the worst things you can say about a game ;)

2 minutes ago, alex3d said:

The kick at 1:47 :D

Giving this a pass for the time being.

@Moz "downgrade akin to Invisible War" is one of the worst things you can say about a game ;)

Is invisible war good? I have it on my pile of shame 

10 hours ago, Moz said:

Spoilers are spoilers. Click spoilers see spoilers. Is it major? It comes out of nowhere.

Lovely. Not all spoilers are equal. Context is a courtesy. I’ve no idea if that’s major or not, and it seems neither have you.

4 hours ago, Moz said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Apparently Julianna is my daughter? Ooooooook?

Where the hell did that come from?

and yet it doesn’t come out of nowhere and is a major plot spoiler. Anymore than “perhaps you need to visit all four Horizon stations” does.

though I think you can stumble into plot lines halfway through, and if you do that things aren’t quite as organic. For example, I didn’t kill and successfully escape (kept screwing up) from Alekis until… my final run through, which means the one true solution wasn’t spoonfed but a process of puzzle solving.

Well I think this is fucking brilliant. One of the most refreshing games I've played for years. 

It would be shit if it was balls hard or if it left everything up to you. It could be a bit less hand holdy sure but I like some direction. 

Yeah I've kind of had the 180 moment I was hoping for tonight. Started a run with an aim to go and off Harriet for her upgrade. Julianna rocks up. So I decide to have a bit of fun and play it smart. I've got a shotgun that slows punks down, shift, invisibility and a perk that makes hacked turrets stronger. So i use my invisibility to quietly creep round, offing foes silently as I do to keep out of Jules' gaze. After about five pretty drawn out, tense minutes I spot my prize. A turret surrounded by bastards. I shift above it, hack it and it goes to work, making mincemeat of said bastards due to my handy little perk. I assume the noise will draw Julianna out but no, she stays hidden. Time to make myself obvious...

I run down to the docks and chuck a grenade in, I run up to the house at the front and start shooting punks left right and centre with a shotgun that sounds like a bazooka. I see a flash of colour, she was invisible! And is now running towards me with a gaseous revolver thingy. She must think she's absolutely smashed it. But she can't hit me because I shift away, close enough that she can still see me and leg it round the corner. I pop the invisibility and I'm gone. She rounds said corner to be met by two things;

1. Me, behind her due to my invisible status, popping her once in the back with a shotgun that slows her down. 

2. My hacked turret that absolutely fucks her up immediately due to its sheer strength and my sheer cunning brilliance. 

I roar laughing. Because I love it when a plan comes together and that was literally exactly what I planned and it came together perfectly. I'm now trying much more mad shit with the guards, I think it's a shame that you're limited to two powers at once but there's real fun to be had once they're upgraded a bit. I'm still not completely sold on the storytelling/progression but the Julianna invasions are clearly brilliant if you use your head a bit!

I killed a Juliana in a similar way today ran out, shot her a bit, then popped invisibility but intentionally making it rubbish by turning it off and on again repeatedly so she thinks easy target.

She follows me into a room full of prehacked turrets and proximity mines.

I had a good gloat.

Despite having Deathloop since launch, I haven’t had enough time to play it yet. There’s a lot I still don’t understand.

If I infuse something, is it mine forever (unless I choose to sacrifice it)? What if I drop it somewhere? Does it come back the next day?

Also what if I equip two of the same trinkets? Do they stack?

13 hours ago, footle said:

and yet it doesn’t come out of nowhere and is a major plot spoiler. Anymore than “perhaps you need to visit all four Horizon stations” does.

though I think you can stumble into plot lines halfway through, and if you do that things aren’t quite as organic. For example, I didn’t kill and successfully escape (kept screwing up) from Alekis until… my final run through, which means the one true solution wasn’t spoonfed but a process of puzzle solving.

What bearing does it have on the plot? Absolutely none. For me it came out of nowhere, having read every note and quest tooltip, it was then blurted out during a mission start convo with zero connection to anything else I’d read or heard so far. Really poor storytelling. 

The first time I killed Aleksis, I didn’t know how I did it. They died somewhere across the map and I went to pick up the goodies. There was no turret/mines etc nearby. 

15 hours ago, jonamok said:

Lovely. Not all spoilers are equal. Context is a courtesy. I’ve no idea if that’s major or not, and it seems neither have you.

No idea. The 12th hour is identical to the first and the plot is seemingly randomly delivered, so progression is hard to gauge. No idea what triggered this dialogue or if it’s important. Apparently it is. 

I think we all get that you didn't enjoy it @Moz ;) 

I'm not done with it yet but the 10/10 scores do seem a bit generous, however to pour scorn on it and label it as 'rubbish' feels equally off the mark too. At it's absolute base level it's a fun to play, slick and stylish action game, with the loop giving some nice twists on the traditional level-by-level linear format, and the opportunity for some sandboxing along the way with the variety of powers/routes/etc... you can use.

The plot delivery is a bit disjointed and it may not be what exactly what some gamers wanted from Arkane's latest IP, but as a mainstream game (which is ultimately how it's being pitched verses things like Dishonored and Prey) I think it's decent.

I also found the gunplay quite hard to start with, but now that I’ve got a few powers and upgrades and have got used to the controls a little better it’s working ok. I think on a controller gratuitous use of aim-down-sights is acceptable. 

My current fun thing to do is to collect all the gun turrets and bring them with me like a conveyer belt so I’ve always got cover wherever I go and sometimes barely need to do any shooting at all.