IGNORED

Deathloop - Tales from the Loop

Mr Do 71

Quick question on the ClassPass (spoilered for those that don't know about them)...

Spoiler

Has anyone found places to get one other than the two entrances to Frank's club in the Fristad Rock in the morning?

I'm considering trying to open the door that requires one in Updaam (in Charlie's theme park house) but working out if there is a way of getting one actually in Updaam. The delivery network can't deliver them so I'm assuming not but figured I'd see if anyone has found something hidden away.

1 hour ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Quick question on the ClassPass (spoilered for those that don't know about them)...

Hide contents

Has anyone found places to get one other than the two entrances to Frank's club in the Fristad Rock in the morning?

I'm considering trying to open the door that requires one in Updaam (in Charlie's theme park house) but working out if there is a way of getting one actually in Updaam. The delivery network can't deliver them so I'm assuming not but figured I'd see if anyone has found something hidden away.

Nah, it seems like you need to hop between zones.

Finished this last night. I pretty thoughroughly rinsed the game and found nearly all the secrets (I checked online after to see what I missed). Overall I enjoyed it, for me it's very strong in the beginning and then gets weaker towards the end. Part of that's my fault for wasting time with some annoying puzzles/secrets, but the repetition does set in (as you would imagine!) and the climax is very brief and unsatisfying.

The premise and the freeform design are what make Deathloop fun. The world's very dense with lots of little events to see and things to discover, and the art/sound direction is really solid. The gunplay is ok, I didn't end up using the combat powers very much because they weren't that effective and your energy runs out too fast to deal with hordes. I ended up using silenced weapons, and stealthy/movement powers most of the time. But it was nice to be able to go in guns blazing when you want, and if you mess up and get spotted, its so refreshing to actually have a fail-state that is fun and actually do-able. Another nice feature is that enemy alerts are usually localised, so if one area gets too hot you can just move to a different part of the zone.

Julianna invasions are a nice idea but the AI Juliannas are pretty dumb. Playing against human Juliannas is quite fun to begin with but gets over-done, and I turned off multiplayer after a while. When you are walking around with things you need to infuse, or have events you've spent 2 or 3 levels setting up, you get fed up with having to repeat them if Julianna shows up and machetes you in the face. At one point I was getting invaded every segment of every day and it just got too much.

I wish the game had gone deeper into the lore, a lot of things are not well explained (even with finding all the secrets). As people have said in this thread the Visionaries are really poorly introduced and fleshed out as well. I still have no idea about some aspects of their backstories. The game has some really nice events and puzzles to figure out though, which sometimes works nicely, but other times spoils by shoving information or solutions down your throat without you actually processing it yourself. 

One of my favourite aspects of Deathloop and what makes it different to other time loop games is the structure, with the loop split into both time segments and locations. Giving you the freedom to hop around and have locations affect each other is really cool. Infusion also adds a really nice reward structure (at least early in the game), which means even if you don't achieve much progress, or have to repeat an area, you will usually have new things to infuse.

Overall its a good game, with some flaws. It's certainly not a 10/10 for me, more like an 8.5, with the quality dropping as you spend too much time in the loop and also let down by inconclusive plot elements. I always found Dishonoured a bit soulless somehow and with a certain looseness to the gameplay, happily Deathloop has definitely improved on the soul-less feel, the looseness is still there though. Prey is still my favourite Arcane game, although of course that's from their other studio, but Deathloop is a nice surprise and finally Arkane has found a way to allow for different playstyles in the stealthy sim without punishing the player. 

I do hope Deathloop does well because Arkane are one of the only big studios dabbling in this genre. 

Finished this the other day, took about 34 hours, really enjoyed it overall. Prefer to play stealthy and when it works its great, sometimes id mess up though (or the game seems to do odd stuff sometimes where id get spotted and its not clear why) but the combat is pretty fun too so it mixes things up, helped a lot by the snap to aim.

the roguelike stuff doesnt come into it much, well if you have the online mode turned off anyway, its quite easy to die once, but also quite easy to avoid dying 3 times you need to properly die. And even then any story mission progress is saved.

prefer dishonoured still but its cool that this is something a bit different, and i really really like dishonoured so not surprising.

Had some crashes on pc but only the first day i played it, after that - no crashes. and some odd graphics stuff going on, which was fixed by turning vsync off in the game and on in nvidia controls.

the music and graphics are great too.

a good tip is to hack something you only need to look at it to start the hack, then you can hide.

Id have liked to be able to save but guess that wouldnt have worked with the online invasions, anyway an option to save in an offline mode would be good.

The Bellular video raised a really good point about the difficulty increasing as you kill Visionaires. I had been given the pop up about it but forgot about it almost immediately. That might explain why the difficulty seems all over the place for everyone, me included. We don't know if the AI is also affected by the difficulty but if it is, it needs sorting. The AI for standard mobs even at harder difficulty is morose and it doesn't help that the Visonaries who are in effect mini-bosses are also dumb as shit. They need to communicate the variable difficulty better and also retune the easier difficulties. Of course then you run into the problem which I suspect they were trying to avoid, of when you just want to explore/solve puzzles, there will be too many enemies around and they'll be too hard to make it enjoyable to do multiple loops of. 

I think the easy difficulty is very intentional. Death has a big penalty in this. I suspect people wanting it harder, moment to moment, would be frustrated in real life. 

That said I bet they release a difficulty mode as an update down the line. Or with the Xbox version. 

There's an email promo from Greenman for this game at the moment:

Save 20% off RRP on any edition of Deathloop when you use the code DEATHLOOP20.

Apply code at checkout to claim advertised discount.

*RRP code expires 3rd October at 22:59 UTC. For use on Deathloop only.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/deathloop-pc

And done. :) 

I won't go over old ground with it, but on balance I had a lot of fun and would recommend it. It never clicked quite like Dishonored for me (but that is possibly because in of itself that was such a homage to one of my all time favourite games, Thief: The Dark Project) but my 20 odd hours (according to my PS5 timer, I thought it was more) felt well spent here.

I do think they need some difficulty settings patched in at some point though, I only got the "you died in the loop" trophy by going for it deliberately while wrapping a few missed ones post-ending which in a game with a lot of killing seems a bit off.

Ultimately I think the press 10/10's are a bit strong, but from my point of view it is a solid 8/10 all day long and worth a play when the price is right for you.

Finished.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611807a60ff628b510368

I simply don't believe "loop pressure" is a thing, because after killing all of the visionaries I went and fought everyone in the party and they still went down in a couple of shots at most. It was still laughably easy to clear the entire map. Julianna turned up, span around on a rooftop a few times and went down in half a clip. And this is while using no trinkets/slabs at all and three silenced LIMP-10s. Because why would you use anything else? The final loop is as easy as anything else, completely trivial button pushing and head-clicking.

Overall this was nothing but a huge misfire for me. Absurdly easy from beginning to end, with no depth whatsoever to the puzzles or combat. Maybe flailing around on a controller makes more sense but even then the autoaim seems pretty extreme when I tried the dualsense. I didn't really enjoy being in the world, as again there was little depth to the characters or the worldbuilding itself. It might have looked nice, but it wasn't an evocative place to inhabit. It's a far cry from sneaking around Dishonored 2 with the heart revelling in the great writing, or the brilliant opening of Prey. The voiceacting is good, but quickly blurs into one snappy sub-Whedon exchange after another. And ultimately went nowhere.

The loop mechanic is a gimmick at best, it's not put to any good use and seems like a cheap way to reuse levels more than anything else. So much was clearly dropped or dumbed down to accommodate for invasions, and they were the worst bit of the game. They simply don't work properly, the tiny number of people still playing this on Steam have obviously all set their game to singleplayer mode to avoid being invaded by indestructible lagmonsters from the other side of the planet. It takes upwards of 10 mins to matchmake now in peak hours.

Allow me to bang on about it one last time before I clear out of the thread forever and stop stinking the place up. Outer Wilds takes the timeloop idea and builds a grand, beautiful and extremely moving story with it. A story which is intrinsic to both the nature of the loop mechanic and videogames as a medium, impossible to achieve anywhere else. The player is trusted to juggle and understand a growing amount of information from a timeline stretching billions of years, having eureka detective moments where story pillars finally connect with a rush of comprehension and emotion. Very little is signposted, but everything is nudged toward. By making the ship controls kind of fiddly, it has a learning curve which stretches from clumsy to masterful, ending up in a daring and difficult landing manoeuvre for the ages, for which you get an achievement. Puzzles sit in plain sight, only revealing themselves when the player has accumulated the knowledge to recognise their importance. Deathloop has no story, only a setting. It has no puzzles, only solutions. It offers no sense of achievement and it asks nothing of the player but time. Click the orange thing. Click on the heads. Repeat until you run out of patience or the credits roll. It's a real shame.

So for me this is far and away Arkane's worst game - simplistic, dumbed down, repetitive, half-baked and supremely disappointing. A shadow of their former work and a plain-as-day appeal to broader/simpler tastes after not finding much success with their last few games. Which I can't really blame them for. As with everything at the moment I'm happy to chalk it up to covid and see what they do next. Especially with unlimited Microsoft money. Mostly I'm utterly confused by all the 10s - more so than I can ever remember being. I've been out of sync with the hivemind plenty of times, but I can usually recognise what others are seeing in it. Most of the review text for this reads like they're playing a different game entirely, and it sounds brilliant.

I've just picked this up for the PS5 and I can't believe there isn't an option to custom configure the controls at all. Absolutely shocking. :quote:

Thankfully with the PS5 accessibility settings I can swap the buttons and sticks around but it's not ideal as it's a system wide change.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2021 at 13:37, BitterToad said:

I'm around 6 hours into this and despite being super hyped after the reviews and being a big fan of Arkane's work in theory over the years I'm not sure it's quite clicking with me yet. 

As I say it's still relatively early days. I really really want to like it and I'm hoping it's just a case of going through things a bit more and seeing how the different elements start interacting once I get to grips with them a bit more. I keep picking up these little notes suggesting I try different things but it's all such a barrage for those first few hours that I'm just sort of thinking "right another little note about a random safe or whatever" and then it all gets forgotten. Any tips for getting into the story/characters more or is it just not that great? 

I'm now ready to do my final run and am absolutely, whole heartedly in love with Deathloop. I think once you get into it a bit and get an idea of what's going on and how it all links up it's an absolutely fantastic experience that gives me everything I always wanted but didn't quite get from Dishonoured and more. I'm still a bit gutted that it took as long as it did to click with me, I think part of that is due to how open the game is and the path I chose, but I also think it just introduces its setups really badly. 

Now though? Now I'm an absolute machine with two fantastic setups. If I want to go in stealthily I'm all about Nexus and Aether. I have a sniper rifle and am completely invisible when standing still. I have a silent SMG that can pop 5 guys at once chained together. This is fun. 

It's nothing compared to my loud setup though. Havoc, with the trinkets that let me absorb power through kills and dish out more damage if I get damaged, paired up with an SMG that gives me health back basically turns me into a walking terminator. Murder folk left right and centre to keep my power and health up, then whack on Kniesis to launch bastards all over the place. It feels like my own setup that I've carefully crafted as Colt's been learning throughout the game, giving me one of those "me and the character synching up" moments that I absolutely adore in videogames. 

I love it and I'll be gutted when it finishes, basically. Those systems, those powers, those guns, all coupled with the amazing Dualsense just make everything you do feel so fucking cool. I was slightly worried that after Astrobot the controller was starting to feel like a bit of an afterthought but Deathloop shows how fucking game changing (literally) it is when used properly. 

Right, can come back in here now I've finished it.

Loved it, although the ending isn't quite as good as I was hoping for after Prey but I've watched other people do levels and they're doing stuff I never even caught on to... or I was doing stuff they didn't.  My entire party approach has been distinct from everyone I've seen.

Spoiler

Sneak in on the right, use the turret to clear the guards, use shift to access the box room through the open window on the cliff.  Go back to get the 3 turrets from the entrance and the tunnel up from the charlie game on the seafront.  Use a combination of those are stealth to clear the courtyard, grab the other two turrets in the lobby, go to the balcony and clear the ballroom that way and then the party is yours.

The first time I killed Alexis he actually saw me and cam running up the stairs. This was a minor tactical error for him because the turrets were watching my back.

I did though rely pretty heavily, especially for killing Julie on one specific gun I found.

Spoiler

Nail gun. But the nails explode.  So once pimped with big magazine you empty a clip in the general direction of her or any visionary, and it generally works.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a few hours into this now and enjoying it, but definitely finding it all overwhelming.

I've got my head around infusions, just about (though I never seem to have enough residium), but I get the feeling that I'm not really playing the game the way it's meant to be played: instead of killing the visionaries in elaborately nefarious, Hitman-like ways, for example, I'm mostly just sneaking up behind them and shooting them in the back of the head, which is effective, but a bit boring. Like with Charlie Montague, for example - I read a note suggesting there was something I could do with his computer AI robot thing, but I wasn't sure what, really, so in the end I just ended up shooting him. The time before that I shot Harriet through a window, and that was her done. Same with the scientist woman (or women) before her - there was something about depressurising one of the rooms, I think, but I just ended up brute-forcing my way through with turrets and grenades.

It feels like I'm missing opportunities to do cool things, but then I guess I'll be killing these same targets over and over again before the end of the game, so I'll have lots of opportunities to experiment.

Anyway, I've picked up and infused two slabs so far. Is the general idea just to get all the slabs you can at this point, then figure out ways to kill two visionaries at once per time period? I'm guessing that's what the game will get you to do, anyway, seeing as there are eight visionaries and four time slots throughout each loop.

I also made the mistake of turning off subtitles originally, but they're all but required, really, if you're going to be able to figure out what's going on.

Oh, and I'm loving the Dualsense feedback in this!

Non-spoilery discussions of the above.

Infusion is, broadly, cheap.  Infuse anything you think you might need ever, there's no benefit to having left over residibucks.

There ARE cleverer ways to kill several of them, but any good assassination is one you walk away from. You will indeed be killing most of them multiple times.

Minor spoiler point about the above

Spoiler

Yes 8/4 = 2.  But I an guarantee on your successful loop you will not be killing exactly 2 per time period.  The story and your detectiving will take you to that answer though so don't sweat it.

49 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Non-spoilery discussions of the above.

Infusion is, broadly, cheap.  Infuse anything you think you might need ever, there's no benefit to having left over residibucks.

There ARE cleverer ways to kill several of them, but any good assassination is one you walk away from. You will indeed be killing most of them multiple times.

Minor spoiler point about the above

Hide contents

Yes 8/4 = 2.  But I an guarantee on your successful loop you will not be killing exactly 2 per time period.  The story and your detectiving will take you to that answer though so don't sweat it.

Thanks for this. Does residium disappear at the end of each time period, or the end of each day? There was a tool-tip about it, but I can't remember, probably because it was one of ten different tooltips I was being shown in quick succession.

In the Complex area:

Spoiler

There's a raised hut full of turrets and lasers over the windows, quite near to where you come out of one of the tunnels. I managed to hack the turrets and get inside, and I found what I thought was a Visionary's body with lots of residium, but I didn't kill who ever it was, and the game didn't seem to react when I interacted with the corpse. Is this supposed to be Egor? A load of his tapes and notes and so on were nearby, as well as something about an invisible control panel, but according to the leads menu, he's only found in Updaam at night-time, whereas this was in the morning.

Similar to the Dishonored games, I find this pretty damn confusing at times. Still enjoying it, though, but it often feels like there's a bit too much to keep track of at once. There are a lot of proper nouns to keep track of.

Is there a way to re-read the summarised versions of the notes you find? I often find these more useful than the notes themselves, but they don't stay on the screen for very long.

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Thanks for this. Does residium disappear at the end of each time period, or the end of each day? There was a tool-tip about it, but I can't remember, probably because it was one of ten different tooltips I was being shown in quick succession.

Your stock disappears every time you loop.

But whether you picked it up or not, the stock in the world replenishes every loop.

9 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

In the Complex area:

Hide contents

There's a raised hut full of turrets and lasers over the windows, quite near to where you come out of one of the tunnels. I managed to hack the turrets and get inside, and I found what I thought was a Visionary's body with lots of residium, but I didn't kill who ever it was, and the game didn't seem to react when I interacted with the corpse. Is this supposed to be Egor? A load of his tapes and notes and so on were nearby, as well as something about an invisible control panel, but according to the leads menu, he's only found in Updaam at night-time, whereas this was in the morning.

Spoiler

The certainly sounds like his office and while you're wrong about him only being found in that location at that time you wouldn't normally expect to see him there in the morning iirc.

Just now, Dudley said:

Hide contents

The certainly sounds like his office and while you're wrong about him only being found in that location at that time you wouldn't normally expect to see him there in the morning iirc.

Yeah, it was very odd. Seemed like a bug, to be honest. I hacked one of the turrets, so maybe that killed him but the game wasn't ready for me to do that yet, which is why nothing reacted.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Might it have been Julianna getting caught in there after you'd hacked the turrets?

Possibly. Didn't get the invasion message, however. I'm not sure where his invisible control panel is, either.