IGNORED

Deathloop

Mr Do 71

I wonder how much the narrative experience is affected by the order and speed you do things. I get the feeling it might come out a bit wonky, and some plot points are certainly introduced rather abruptly.

I don't think I was ever really concerned with the overall narrative anyway. I liked some of the smaller storylines within it, but was mainly focused on the systems.

As for the ending

Spoiler

I was relieved there wasn't some big finale that I might fail, forcing me to repeat the loop again after I'd just executed the rest. The whole thing is about building towards a perfect day, so having to improvise at the end would have spoiled it.

4 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I wonder how much the narrative experience is affected by the order and speed you do things. I get the feeling it might come out a bit wonky, and some plot points are certainly introduced rather abruptly.

I don't think I was ever really concerned with the overall narrative anyway. I liked some of the smaller storylines within it, but was mainly focused on the systems.

As for the ending

Hide contents

I was relieved there wasn't some big finale that I might fail, forcing me to repeat the loop again after I'd just executed the rest. The whole thing is about building towards a perfect day, so having to improvise at the end would have spoiled it.

Re the ending,

Spoiler

I was thinking that as well in the lead up to it - that it would be really annoying, if there was a big finale, to have to do the entire day again. However, I still would have preferred to have done that and had an ending with a bit more resonance to it than what we got. I'm sure they could have devised some narrative reason for starting the finale from the moment you land on the loop if you died, anyway. Getting unlimited Reprise uses because you're so close to the loop generator, or something like that.

And as to your first point, I think this is an issue I have with the immersive sim genre in general. 'Play entirely your way' sounds good as an elevator pitch, but in practice I think I prefer a more directed experience so there's a better chance of the story beats landing properly. Tamoor Hussain was talking about this in a podcast I listened to recently and I definitely agree.

I've been getting an extremely strong first impression from this with my first two hours. I've always sort of admired Arkane's work rather than truly loved it because I didn't find the worlds particularly nice places to be in. No danger of that here. What a place, absolutely bursting with character. Can't wait to be neck deep in it. 

42 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

This is discounted already which has piqued my interest. Not a fan of in-game invasions though, they're a pain in the arse. Can you play with them turned off? 

You can turn off human invasions but they're replaced by AI ones.  

You can't remove them completely, they're important to the story and give you stuff you're going to want.

Don't worry, they're not frequently. It is possible, though rare, to get more than one in a "Day" and they only happen on a map where one of the other "Major targets" is.

You know. I have to be honest with myself. I don’t like this game. I have tried. It is a confusing mess of systems and bad combat. I don’t like how any of the weapons feel. I hate the stupid banter between the characters. I will keep trying and report back later. 

This has been the most I have disagreed with an IGN 10. I am confused as to what the fuck they saw in this. In summary:

- every level looks basically the same

- has a bunch of visual glitches on PS5 that take me right out (in particular the flickering water)

- character models look very bad

- animations look bad

- does not look next gen although it is one of the few next gen exclusives

- drops frames even on performance mode

- has crashed on me multiple times

- weapons are boring

- you get the same weapon a million times with slightly different perks, none of which actually make a difference in how you play

- invasions are way too frequent

- invations make no sense in a game that's meant to be stealth

- dialogue is shit

- maps are very small and there aren't that many of them

On the other hand:

- I like the level design and secrets

- I like the concept of a loop where you are the only one who remembers

- I like the music

I am trying to keep an open mind. I will report back later.

If you kill someone twice in this do they stay dead the "next" day? I ask because I 

Spoiler

killed Frank one day in his studio, then the "next" with sabotaged fireworks... But when the day reset again he was nowhere to be found, his studio was a complete mess and there was nobody around. 

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

If you kill someone twice in this do they stay dead the "next" day? I ask because I 

Hide contents

killed Frank one day in his studio, then the "next" with sabotaged fireworks... But when the day reset again he was nowhere to be found, his studio was a complete mess and there was nobody around. 

Did you go in at a different time of day? He could have moved somewhere else for that time period.

On 01/11/2021 at 13:30, Oz said:

This has been the most I have disagreed with an IGN 10. I am confused as to what the fuck they saw in this. In summary:

- every level looks basically the same

- has a bunch of visual glitches on PS5 that take me right out (in particular the flickering water)

- character models look very bad

- animations look bad

- does not look next gen although it is one of the few next gen exclusives

- drops frames even on performance mode

- has crashed on me multiple times

- weapons are boring

- you get the same weapon a million times with slightly different perks, none of which actually make a difference in how you play

- invasions are way too frequent

- invations make no sense in a game that's meant to be stealth

- dialogue is shit

- maps are very small and there aren't that many of them

On the other hand:

- I like the level design and secrets

- I like the concept of a loop where you are the only one who remembers

- I like the music

I am trying to keep an open mind. I will report back later.

The only one of your entire top section I recognise is the crash. In that it did it to me twice in the entire time I played it and that's technically multiple.

I don't think the game is supposed to be stealth as such, it literally says "Kill them all" several times.  Stealth's an option of course.

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

The only one of your entire top section I recognise is the crash. In that it did it to me twice in the entire time I played it and that's technically multiple.

I don't think the game is supposed to be stealth as such, it literally says "Kill them all" several times.  Stealth's an option of course.

Yeh fair enough.

But seriously you don’t see the water flickering? Is it something wrong with my console? Or the TV/console combo?

Reading the web there are frame pacing issues even on performance mode so that’s not my imagination. 

Other stuff is taste I guess. But I do think it looks bad and everything looks samey. The art looks cool but the game in motion not.

No water flickering, dropped frames (or at least as far as I could tell in performance mode) or crashes on my PS5 either.

Only bug I had the entire play though was a weapon I needed falling behind a piece of scenery and being unreachable. It does seem a bit luck of the draw though as I know some have had some issues (but less than PC based on comments here).

In listening to digital foundry I think what I am picking up as a frame rate drop when playing at 60 is that the screen jitters and the game goes blurry for a second or two during combat when the scene gets busy. I really don’t like how that feels with the aiming. The game just doesn’t feel very snappy. I have not played any more. Really struggling with it. But I am sure committed to like it as I paid 60 quid for this fucker. 

1 hour ago, iknowgungfu said:

How long does a run take in this? I like the idea of a game like this which I could have a quick blast on - gaming time is at a premium these days. 

Days are divided into four segments and progress saves after each one. Depending on your objective and how you go about it, a segment can take anything from 10 mins to 45 mins. 

Yeah it is, more than most games these days, one you can make progress on in a small amount of time.

But equally, early on you'll want to put in a session learning stuff and also it's amazing how a 10minute run can become a 2hr one when what you're trying to do becomes harder, you end up attempting stealth etc.

On 27/10/2021 at 23:21, Jamie John said:

For a game that's this overwhelming at the start, it becomes incredibly underwhelming by the end. Like @Moz, I don't understand how this has been as critically acclaimed as it has been. Presumably those reviewers didn't finish it.

On 28/10/2021 at 09:48, Dudley said:

I have literally no idea how you could have missed this.  It's revealed incredibly loudly and mentioned constantly for the remaining several hours of the game before the finale.  

Nope, same thing happened to me. Colt blurted it out as if it had been mentioned loads of times already. There was no "reveal" at any point. I read every note, listened to every conversation, and had no idea until they were talking about it as if it had always been that way. I even went back and read through a load of notes to see what I'd missed and couldn't find anything. I said at the time on here.

Mind you, I never did the whole thing people seem to be doing where they say "wow I killed 3 of the 8 on this run" etc. I killed each visionary once to get the method by following the objective markers and then killed all 8 on the final day on my first attempt with absolutely no trouble whatsoever. All of the "puzzle" solutions where you're killing two in the same place or setting up kills for later in the loop (fireworks etc) I only did once, on my final run. So underwhelming. But I may have stitched myself up by missing chunks of dialogue between them, I don't know.

I still think it's a mouse/pad split. If you're flailing about on a pad like in every bit of footage from every major video review I've seen, you're forced to play the game differently I expect. Resident Evil Village was the same way - Most weapons and items I didn't use because everything died in a couple of pistol headshots. At least that got more difficult towards the end though.

The crucial failing of Deathloop is giving you a pixel perfect silenced SMG early on. From then on you can headshot half the enemies in the map without moving from a vantage point sometimes. And they're so criminally stupid they don't react to their pals dropping like flies. Every other weapon type felt like a clumsy piece of shit which took up half the screen (including the special ones, which were uniformly awful) and none of the abilities were remotely useful apart from blink, which was only useful for getting around quicker.