Deathloop

Mr Do 71

It's weird how little publicity the Xbox release of this is getting. You would have thought they would put a bit more effort into marketing this very lavish-looking first person shooter from one of their expensively-acquired in-house developers.

I guess it didn't exactly set the world alight on PS5 (as with most of Arkane's other games, unfortunately), but you would have thought they'd at least punt out a few interviews with the developers to the major websites.

Still, I'm really looking forward to it. Dishonored without guns vs Prey without the crap enemies and generic setting, all wrapped up in a Groundhog Day structure, sounds like a pretty compelling mix to me.

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

Now, according to the PS App notification that just pinged on my phone.

Cool, thanks for that I’ve set it to download. I’ve waited ages to play it, should have just bought it really but kept on telling myself it will be on Game Pass. Now in the end I’ll be playing it first on PlayStation anyway :rolleyes:

Enjoying this so far although I’ve only done the very first area it plonks you in. I’m guessing the time loop mechanic becomes more important as you progress, so far all I’ve done is sneak around killing people without really knowing why, but I guess that’s also part of the story. 

Do you get powers like in Dishonored? 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Enjoying this so far although I’ve only done the very first area it plonks you in. I’m guessing the time loop mechanic becomes more important as you progress, so far all I’ve done is sneak around killing people without really knowing why, but I guess that’s also part of the story. 

Do you get powers like in Dishonored? 

Not played Dishonored, so not sure what the powers are called there, but in Deathloop you get 'slabs'. These are dropped by the main characters and can be levelled up by repeatedly killing them (up to three times) The repeat kills will be necessary to figure out what's going on. Once you get in a rhythm the progress through a 'level' is pretty swift. Some slabs are way more OPed than others but they're all quite fun to play around with to get the best pairings for your play style.

4 hours ago, K said:

It's weird how little publicity the Xbox release of this is getting. You would have thought they would put a bit more effort into marketing this very lavish-looking first person shooter from one of their expensively-acquired in-house developers.

I guess it didn't exactly set the world alight on PS5 (as with most of Arkane's other games, unfortunately), but you would have thought they'd at least punt out a few interviews with the developers to the major websites.

Still, I'm really looking forward to it. Dishonored without guns vs Prey without the crap enemies and generic setting, all wrapped up in a Groundhog Day structure, sounds like a pretty compelling mix to me.

This is pretty much exactly what I mentioned over in the Gamepass thread, although doing so over there seemed to immediately summon the Spanish Inquisition. 

Deathloop seems interesting so far; it’s much jokier than Arkane’s other games. It’s sort of like The Prisoner and Portal, with guns, except set in the north of Scotland and with more swearing and with a diverse cast. 

Is it just me, or do the different graphics options not seem to change anything? When I turn the ray-tracing on, I still get 60fps - which suggests it’s not actually doing ray-tracing. 

42 minutes ago, K said:

Deathloop seems interesting so far; it’s much jokier than Arkane’s other games. It’s sort of like The Prisoner and Portal, with guns, except set in the north of Scotland and with more swearing and with a diverse cast. 

Is it just me, or do the different graphics options not seem to change anything? When I turn the ray-tracing on, I still get 60fps - which suggests it’s not actually doing ray-tracing. 

Found this 

Deathloop on Xbox Series X will launch with the Goldenloop update, accessibility options, an extended ending, a FoV-slider, crossplay & 4 visual modes: - 4K/60FPS Framerate priority - 4K/60FPS Visual priority - 4K/30FPS Raytracing - 1080p/120FPS VRR September 20 on Game Pass.

45 minutes ago, K said:

Yeah I thought that, I changed it to Ray Tracing 30FPS but it seems exactly the same as the default performance option. This is on PS5, will have to check the Xbox version for comparison. 

Goldenloop - Patch notes.

Added stuff.

Spoiler

NEW CONTENT

Added a new ability, Fugue Slab: Stun and confound your foes with this ability and it’s 4 upgrades

Added a new weapon, HALPS Prototype: Use it to fry your enemies

Added 2 new enemies: Face off against the armored Garbage Collector and the dangerous Paint Bombers

Added an extended "Break the Loop" ending

Added 4 upgrades to the Masquerade ability: Customize Julianna’s Masquerade Slab with new Trinkets while protecting the timeloop

Added new Double Trinkets: Enhance yourself with 19 new two-in-one trinkets

Added 11 new Trinkets and 4 new Weapon Perks

Added a new explorable area to Karl’s Bay

Added new player idle animations: Show off your mastery of weapons and slabs by doing nothing at all!

CROSSPLAY MATCHMAKING

Added new cross-platform invasion option across PSN, Xbox, Steam, Epic, and the Microsoft Store environments. You can set your Cross-Platform Matchmaking to a setting of Any (all platforms) or Same (just your platform). You can also set your Cross-Platform Matchmaking controller also to Any (all controller types) or Same (just the one you are using)

GAME UPDATES / TWEAKS

Refined “Hacker” and “Trinket Creator” side missions

Refined rewards for several side missions

Added more Trinkets to the loot pool (drops from enemies) and placed in some areas in levels

Refined the Delivery Booth by adding a clear confirmation message and turning on the Delivery Booth screen so the status of orders can be checked immediately

Added photos of the four HZN doors to the knowledge cards for “Julianna’s Lead: The Hunt”

Moved throwable bottles away from health pickups

Replaced art for the completion card for the Lead “Rise to Power: Infusion”

Clarified Egor’s Visionary and Golden Loop marker in Updaam (evening) so they are consistent with Wenjie’s in Updaam (evening) and with Egor’s in The Complex (evening)

Added a new Battery Station at near Aleksis' mansion in Updaam. Find it behind the statue, near the cliff

Tweaked some Accessibility options: Renamed “Combat Difficulty” to “Loop Stress”, removed “Lock Loop Stress” and added “Loot Quality”

Made miscellaneous improvements to text localization

CONTROLLER IMPROVEMENTS

Added Inner and Outer deadzone adjustment in options menu

Added Axial Damping (corrects vertical inputs to help looking straight up or down) adjustments in options menu

Added Camera Acceleration in options menu

Added Camera sensitivity (speed) in options menu

BUG FIXES

Fixed an issue that could cause the player to be stuck in menus

Fixed an issue that could cause the player to be stuck in connection queue after failing to connect to a friend invasion

Fixed several random crashes and stability issues

Made miscellaneous bug fixes

It’s well written, decent shooting, poor AI and fun skills. The plot of the game suggests that there is a lot of free form play and detective work but the game is really played out in the menu which tells you exactly where to go and who to pop and, more or less, in what order.

I think the biggest change with the latest patch is that they've surfaced a bunch of additional options for tuning stick control, meaning it's the first Arkane game that doesn't feel rubbish on a pad. The aiming always feeling off was one of my biggest complaints at launch, so I'm glad there's at least a means to dial things in now even if it's a rather laborious process.

Speaking of control, they've also added gyro aiming and flick stick input on PS5. I haven't really given the latter a go yet – it'll definitely require some adjustment – but I know people swear by it as an input method.

5 hours ago, Strafe said:

It’s well written, decent shooting, poor AI and fun skills. The plot of the game suggests that there is a lot of free form play and detective work but the game is really played out in the menu which tells you exactly where to go and who to pop and, more or less, in what order.

Yeah it’s a lot of fun but it does feel quite linear, at least at first. 

I'm really enjoying this so far. There are bits and pieces of so many different things in here - the snowy bunkers and Bond-style music make it feel like Goldeneye or the first level of Timesplitters 2 - but the overall vibe is really distinctive. I love the fact that you can't save, so you don't get the temptation to savescum your way through a level like I usually do in Dishonored. It means there's a real risk / reward feeling to each section - death is simultaneously meaningful (in that you can lose stuff when you die) and meaningless (in that you can just try the section again, and experiment with no risk of fucking anything up permanently).

The AI is absolutely terrible, as it was in Dishonored. If anything, it seems even worse, and the developers have leaned into it by making everyone into an enemy (so you don't get those immersion-breaking bits where non-combatants go into a panic state for no reason and run around like chickens forever), and building it into the lore that almost everyone you meet is ripped to the tits on booze. I have a lot - I repeat, a LOT - of respect for a developer who works their crap AI into the fabric of the game by having all the game's NPCs be off their heads on drink and drugs. Couple that with the timeloop structure, and you've got a world where you're much freer to experiment and torment the idiotic shitfaced NPCs than you ever were in Arkane's other games.

21 hours ago, DualSense said:

Its totally linear. Felt like it was billed like a Hitman game but it’s very far from it.

Yep. It's more COD than Outer Wilds/Hitman/Majoras Mask etc. You pick the order of missions and that's about it. I noticed in the patch notes that there's some kind of combat difficulty option in the accessibility options so I might have a wee look at that and see if you push the game beyond being trivially easy even with nothing but a pistol and no powers equipped (license to kill mode, baby!) Also interested to see if they've ironed out any of their performance problems yet or if the engine is basically a write-off at this point.

As a fan of the older Arkane games I bounced off this hard on PS5. It's extremely streamlined and simplified compared to the likes of Dishonored and Prey. It felt like Bethesda mandated they make something with more mainstream appeal and this is what rolled out alongside the upcoming Redfall.

A friend of mine who dislikes immersive sims and never got on with Dishonored or Prey, but loves Call of Duty, also loved Deathloop.

I might give it another shot on Xbox now that I know to expect a more standard linear shooter experience instead of classic Arkane, because I do want to give it a chance.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

As a fan of the older Arkane games I bounced off this hard on PS5. It's extremely streamlined and simplified compared to the likes of Dishonored and Prey. It felt like Bethesda mandated they make something with more mainstream appeal and this is what rolled out alongside the upcoming Redfall.

A friend of mine who dislikes immersive sims and never got on with Dishonored or Prey, but loves Call of Duty, also loved Deathloop.

I might give it another shot on Xbox now that I know to expect a more standard linear shooter experience instead of classic Arkane, because I do want to give it a chance.

Same for me. Just didn't work for me. Prey is miles better imo, this felt like a massive step back.
Skill Up's video basically sums up my feelings on this game.