Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

So, recently there have been rumours that Asobo presented to Xbox (Phil again?) a prototype racing game. Given what happened last time with the result being MSFS and how they don't do things by halves, can you imagine if they lent on the blackshark.ai engine to create a higher fidelity localised version of the world with drivable roads and landscapes based on satellite imagery? They're already halfway there but can appreciate most of the assets in MSFS are only suited to flying at over 1000ft. Maybe use what they've got and augment it with processed versions of the street-view images they've got access at Microsoft. Don't get me wrong, I don't think for one second that this is what they're working on, but one can dream 🙂

Microsoft Driving Simulator: So real you can practise for a driving test around your local area ;)

I was actually thinking about this when MFS 2020 came out. You never would have imagined the game would have been possible ten years previously, so imagine what AI will be able to do ten years from now? I find it hard to believe that you could do much with satellite imagery, as the resolution is too low, but I do wonder if they could use data from the Bing equivalent of Streetview in some way. I'm dubious that the driving game equivalent of Flight Simulator would happen - it sounds orders of magnitude harder to achieve - but would obviously love to recreate some of the extremely unsafe driving I engaged in as a teenager around Morecambe and Bowland.

There are photogrammetry-based mod tracks for Assetto Corsa already

e.g. Santa Monica mountains:

Amateur stuff, which suggests throwing the might of Asobo at it would give some fancy results. Here's a one-man experiment doing a city, obviously some rough edges to the models at the moment but still impressive:

• 2 weeks later...

Sim Update 10 is out today. Big things: loads of stability improvements, DLSS support, improved weather, upgraded avionics. Based on thirty minutes of flight DLSS seems to do it’s usual magic… who needs a 40 series?

1 minute ago, spanx said:

Sim Update 10 is out today. Big things: loads of stability improvements, DLSS support, improved weather, upgraded avionics. Based on thirty minutes of flight DLSS seems to do it’s usual magic… who needs a 40 series?

What card do you have. Really want to get this but mine wasn't really up to the task. Would also like to try it in VR

Anyone given SU10 to a go yet? The best improvements seem to be in really built up areas where the difference can be between 10-20fps. I imagine all this depends on your CPU and resolution you're trying to run at. My 3090 + 10900K machine in 4K at max settings in built-up areas typically got around 25-30fps, so it will interesting to see if it brings any improvement for me without dropping the settings. Someone also recommended to delete the local cache data first and apparently there will be a Nvidia driver update in the coming weeks which hopefully will improve performance further.

@tronied there are some issues with DX12 and DLSS that’s awaiting a new Nvidia driver - it’s causing slight blurriness on the glass cockpit displays. Planning to do a lot of flying this weekend so fingers crossed

Edit: one immediate bonus was loading times seem to have been slashed

Turtle Beach have rudder pedals and a stand coming out for their Velocity One flight stick at the end of October. They look pretty sweet, especially the rudder pedals, but at £249.99 for the pedals and £179.99 for the stand, it is starting to get quite pricey this flight sim lark!

70ca4e0d-df97-4efb-a8a7-7117694e8fef.jpeg

ppfft. 60fps. What is that. 1000 fps.

On 22/09/2022 at 14:50, SteveH said:

Turtle Beach have rudder pedals and a stand coming out for their Velocity One flight stick at the end of October. They look pretty sweet, especially the rudder pedals, but at £249.99 for the pedals and £179.99 for the stand, it is starting to get quite pricey this flight sim lark!

70ca4e0d-df97-4efb-a8a7-7117694e8fef.jpeg

Hmm...Cheaper then an average driving set up though. And you can fly the world!

Ooh, system brother. Did you have to spend long tweaking the config or can we now just whack it to ultra and get flying? I reckon the setup menu is the other thing that keeps me putting it off. 

On 28/09/2022 at 22:34, milko said:

Ooh, system brother. Did you have to spend long tweaking the config or can we now just whack it to ultra and get flying? I reckon the setup menu is the other thing that keeps me putting it off. 

Just whack everything up and good. Still get drops in busy airports but the overall experience is getting sooo good now. Just waiting for FSLTL traffic and liveries to get integrated with my third party ATC add on now and then I’m not going to be far off perfection. 

Aside from having a proper rudder controller. That’s next. 

Ah wow, you weren't kidding @spanx it runs almost like a different game compared to my last attempts. Amazing to buzz London and NYC in this detail while the frame rate stays nice and high.

Next to relearn my button assignments and actually do some flying. 

I've barely scratched the surface of the Canada update - come to think of it you can barely scratch the surface of this game, full stop - but Vancouver looks absolutely stunning. They seem to have really improved the quality of the photogrammetry over the last couple of years - things like bridges and cranes look much improved, rather than the big lumps of matter they were in the first updates. Niagra Falls looks amazing too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Managed to update the game to the 40th anniversary edition but on launching it insists there's no network connection and it all goes wrong from there. (I'm on a PC)

I suspect the servers are a tad busy - will try again tomorrow.

Aaargh, so gutted. I don’t have a proper internet connection for another week and a half. Really looking forward to this but will have to wait. 

New version of Navigraph Charts was released this week too. And I’d just bought a new plane before we moved. Can’t wait to get back in the cockpit :)

After downloading 30gb of updates and the same again through the content manager, I barely had time to play this, but the helicopters seem like brilliant fun, especially with a hotas. I had a quick razz around New York and found the flight model to be just the right side of chaotic, so that I could just about get the thing going in the direction I wanted but there were also plenty of thrillingly hairy moments as I nearly lost a rotor on the cornice of an art deco skyscraper. 

The Spruce Goose is beautifully modelled (especially the cockpit, which is immaculate, with a working trim dial next to the control stick that looks pleasingly jury-rigged, as you’d expect from a prototype), but is disappointingly easy to fly. You wonder why Hughes didn’t start showboating by trying to do barrel rolls and power dives, rather than taking off for thirty seconds and then becoming a deranged smackhead for the rest of his life. 

The game and the expansions now take up 220gb of hard drive space! It’s worth it I’d say, but that is a hell of a lot of space. Flight Sim 5.0 came on three floppy disks.