Microsoft Flight Simulator

This plane is really good fun

Also did an evening flight from Newcastle to somewhere north of newcastle. Seriously MS. Give us place names.

It’s downloading all the data now.  Just so I can try fly past where I live.  
Excited to play though, I can’t remember the last flight sim I played.  

Keeps telling me to 'insert game disc' after the splash screens, not sure if it's a bit of nostalgia - certainly reminds me of what PC gaming was line around the last time I played Flight Simulator. Tried uninstall/reinstall bit no dice, anyone else got this?

13 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

Keeps telling me to 'insert game disc' after the splash screens, not sure if it's a bit of nostalgia - certainly reminds me of what PC gaming was line around the last time I played Flight Simulator. Tried uninstall/reinstall bit no dice, anyone else got this?

What region are you in and what region is Windows set to? The only people I've seen with that problem paid for their copy and you're tied to the launch time for the store region. 

I had it sticking on a black screen asking me to press any key.  Had to do a windows update, then reset the Xbox app settings, then go into the windows store and update something.  Then it worked.  No asking for a disk though

The preload isn't, for huge numbers of people it hangs on the loading screen and you have to wait for a 12 hour download with music you can only turn off by muting your speakers.

Fucking hell MS never change.

So I just did a flight across Paris in my little red biplane. It was juddery as hell (I had the same experience before a reboot yesterday). I quit Outlook and flew over Rome and it was fine. Might be worth killing any apps you don't need running while you're flying. This game needs some grunt and a half.

As expected my ageing i5 and GTX970 barely runs this - still looks quite stunning on medium with some bits turned down mind you but i just can’t see me spending a grand to upgrade this computer just for a flight sim that I’ll likely bore of before i pay off the credit card bill. 

6 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

What resolution?

1440p with everything jacked. I can bring some things down a bit. I just went with the recommended settings from the games first load. 

7 minutes ago, snowbind said:

1440p with everything jacked. I can bring some things down a bit. I just went with the recommended settings from the games first load. 

It selects your desktop resolution, which is an interesting choice. There's no way my 1080 is doing high at 4k (I dropped it to high at 1440p, 80% scale and was mostly above 40fps, except for occasional drop outs or places with lots of buildings to stream in).

Downloaded a chunk more this morning then had to turn the PC off to go to work. Anyone know if the intro screen with the planes is real-time because that looked fairly smooth.

6 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Downloaded a chunk more this morning then had to turn the PC off to go to work. Anyone know if the intro screen with the planes is real-time because that looked fairly smooth.

Yes mine started that screen when it loads now and mine was smooth too!  - watch our hopes get crushed :)

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

The preload isn't, for huge numbers of people it hangs on the loading screen and you have to wait for a 12 hour download with music you can only turn off by muting your speakers.

Fucking hell MS never change.

54 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

You can mute the audio on individual apps, he said, pretending this wasn't something he discovered at five past midnight last night, after a desperate and quite grumpy google search.

46 minutes ago, footle said:

"Volume Mixer" (right clicking on the speaker icon in your task tray) is your friend.

Download EarTrumpet from the store.

50 minutes ago, footle said:

It selects your desktop resolution, which is an interesting choice. There's no way my 1080 is doing high at 4k (I dropped it to high at 1440p, 80% scale and was mostly above 40fps, except for occasional drop outs or places with lots of buildings to stream in).

So I went in to check the settings and they were a mixture of low and medium. My first flight was new york though. I've just done some of the training missions in bumfuck nowhere and was getting 100+

Currently downloading onto a Q6600 with 8Gb ram and a T560i Graphics card.  Can't wait to see the smooth HD visuals. This PC ran the previous flight sim perfectly well in 2004 so can't see this being a problem.

56 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Why didn't you just leave it on whilst you went to work?

11 hours ago, Rev said:

It's taken me about 5 attempts at quitting and relaunching. Last time I got the content manager, but nothing happened, this time it is actually downloading the other 90GB. So, we'll see what it's like tomorrow...

But basically, if nothing seems to be happening, assume nothing is happening and try again. 

Uninstalled (again), changed my region back to the UK and gave it one more try just now and it zipped straight through to the Content Manager screen and is happily downloading. Despite Microsoft's best efforts to thwart me I shall, finally, be going to the ball*!

*in however many hours it takes to download a metric shit ton of data. Why they do not offer pre-loading is baffling, albeit entirely expected...