Microsoft Flight Simulator

Downloaded it in exactly an hour (down to the second) using the 1gb connection on the Shadow instance. That makes me feel bad for all of you people on lesser connections :( Maybe it's not so bad though as 50% of it seems to be decompressing content, so I'm guessing the download speed doesn't have as big an impact. I was maxing out the connection so at least I'm not having the same issues I'm having with the Microsoft Store in game. I loaded it up on my Macbook Pro and ramped the settings to maximum, set it to Heathrow and it's performing a lot better than I expected. Just need to optimise the settings a bit and it should be smooth. Can't wait to properly try this tonight with my Hotas Warthog and pedals :D

All downloaded so really looking forward to giving this a shot in my lunch break.  I don't think I've played a flight simulator since the late 90s/early 2000s but I've been really excited and hyped  to try this.  A perk of working from home at the moment is having my beast of a work PC here so I can actually play the game (and on ultra settings no less!) :)

It took me about 5 attempts to get the download started this morning though, I ended up having to delete some data it had created in the local data folder and run the game as admin to get it to work.

11 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Uninstalled (again), changed my region back to the UK and gave it one more try just now and it zipped straight through to the Content Manager screen and is happily downloading. Despite Microsoft's best efforts to thwart me I shall, finally, be going to the ball*!

*in however many hours it takes to download a metric shit ton of data. Why they do not offer pre-loading is baffling, albeit entirely expected...

To continue my tips thread:

Still needed to be closed another twice. Once it threatened to download another 57GB, but either my internet connection has really improved or it didn’t really need to because it took about 2 minutes. Then I needed to relaunch again. 

And lo! I was in the videogame. I’ve had to turn it off almost immediately because of real life, but based on the first training message with a few sensible options reduced it seems to be ticking along quite nicely at 1080p on Ultra. It’s not exactly a dense environment so that might need further fiddling, but it’s a good start.

(3600X, 5700XT)

2 hours ago, Flub said:

What region are you in and what region is Windows set to? The only people I've seen with that problem paid for their copy and you're tied to the launch time for the store region. 

Yes, I've seen that online too. Got from Game Pass and Windows is set to UK, which is odd.

Now it's out of beta, when one of you lovely people are on could someone fly over Alton Towers / Blackpool Pleasure beach please? I'm interested in seeing how it handles the modelling of rollercoasters.

Man, Sedona is stunning.

The default gamepad controls for this are pretty good, the way you can quickly switch between looking at your instrument clusters, auto-looking at the airport, freelook on the second stick, etc. Sticks and triggers are a little sensitive, but then I guess I don't know if they need to be for the jets and sports planes, so won't fiddle yet. The only thing it lacks is a context-sensitive button, there's a bit in the training where it asks you to  transfer control and it's like a three-button windows keybind that probably dates from 1986, they need a "hold Y to respond" for prompts like that, or something.

Performance is pretty good, on a i5 9400F, GTX1660, 32GB RAM I'm getting high 50fps on High, although I haven't tested it in cities. I might knock it up to Ultra, but down to 30fps.

I've managed to get my DualShock 4 hooked up fine, any tips on how to configure it? The controller settings imply there's nothing set up at all, not sure what a good set of defaults might be

Can you do stupid shit like try and land from the viewpoint of the tower?

I also want to try landing in stupid places, like on a freeway or a high street in Reading.

I see there is multiplayer? Could be amazing... Party chat open, just fucking around in different planes.

5 minutes ago, Dave White said:

went to start playing then got booted, and another 64 gb dl.

Feels like a real life plane delay

Was this after the 90gb (or however big) download as well?

47 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Now it's out of beta, when one of you lovely people are on could someone fly over Alton Towers / Blackpool Pleasure beach please? I'm interested in seeing how it handles the modelling of rollercoasters.

it does not...at all...infact, blackpool has houses in the middle of a low res texture of the park...and no tower.

it needs some hand built assets i think for fancy things

Fucking hell.

After we earlier optimism after it actually began downloading the gamed it has stopped at 31Gb, crashed, and now will not start at all.

I have never, as far as I can recall,  had an installation problem with any other platform/service. I have constant shite like this from the MS store so am finished with it. The game can wait until my next PC in a few months...

I'm in the process of downloading this now, so hope to play it by weekend. It appears it's going to be the first game to make me new PC cry as my NVIDIA optimised settings didn't look very impressive :P

I've downloaded the NVIDIA driver update through GeForce Experience, and whilst Flight Simulator is shown the application says it "can't be optimised". Any idea why that is? It's the PC Game Pass version I'm playing. 

Just now, sdmilne said:

FFS.  Maybe get to play it tomorrow then at this rate...

its so annoying as it all boots up and your ready to start on your settings, then crashes , then starts the 64gb patch.

I'm using a 1gb connection and the scenery quality in places is very... um... blurry. Went over Cowes on the Isle of Wight and the boats were a white smudge. Look on Bing.com  for the same location and it's very clear. It's not like I'm travelling at 9,000mph so it can't keep up either. Maybe it's just struggling to keep up with providing the scenery to this many people concurrently? Surely they must have known this would happen though. Maybe it's just me but is anyone else seeing this?

2 hours ago, Rev said:

To continue my tips thread:

Still needed to be closed another twice. Once it threatened to download another 57GB, but either my internet connection has really improved or it didn’t really need to because it took about 2 minutes. Then I needed to relaunch again. 

And lo! I was in the videogame. I’ve had to turn it off almost immediately because of real life, but based on the first training message with a few sensible options reduced it seems to be ticking along quite nicely at 1080p on Ultra. It’s not exactly a dense environment so that might need further fiddling, but it’s a good start.

(3600X, 5700XT)

26 minutes ago, Dave White said:

its so annoying as it all boots up and your ready to start on your settings, then crashes , then starts the 64gb patch.

Are you sure it’s actually downloading anything? I had a fictional patch and no-one on Twitter seems to have another...

6 minutes ago, Rev said:

Are you sure it’s actually downloading anything? I had a fictional patch and no-one on Twitter seems to have another...

its a 64gb patch, unless that's part of the main dl ?

5 minutes ago, Dave White said:

its a 64gb patch, unless that's part of the main dl ?

did it really complete the first time?

its downloading lots of individual files from a manifest, then uncompressing them. The number given on that screen is usually just the amount to go.

its a tad broken in that it’s possible to get past the download screen in certain cases while not having completed the download; and then things don’t work properly. But when you reload you start again where you’d left off.

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

@GamesGamesGames why the sad reaction? I'm genuinley interested in how they're handled. Look how Google Earth manages it, they get it in 3D, but it looks like arse. 

b1.png

47 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

it does not...at all...infact, blackpool has houses in the middle of a low res texture of the park...and no tower.

it needs some hand built assets i think for fancy things

Totally missed this reply, thank you. That's a shame, but at least it's better than making it look broken. 

The game recommended high-end for my gtx 1060 at 1080p. Nope!

Switched down to medium, turned off death of field but increased the terrain slider a bit. Works reasonably on the tutorials.

Fantasy shopping on pcpartpicker atm. Must resist until next gen consoles are out for a while.