Microsoft Flight Simulator

26 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

@GamesGamesGames why the sad reaction? I'm genuinley interested in how they're handled. Look how Google Earth manages it, they get it in 3D, but it looks like arse. 

b1.png

It wasn't a sad reaction. I took that one to be empathy. I spent a few years in Blackpool and would like to see it from up high for more personal reasons than suited a simple like.

1 minute ago, Halkyon said:

Okay I have Game Pass on PC, it says it's included, but there is no "Install" option like other games on Game Pass. :quote:

Rage.

you have to pre install and then it takes you to the process - i was puzzled too 

Hi there. I've been enjoying the forum and its denizens for a good decade now but I just thought I'd pop in and say that I hate every single person in this thread who's able to play this today, on a very deep and personal level. Good day and see you all in a year. :angry:

Just did my first solo flight in the tutorial.  Took off like a boss, did all the turns like I knew what I was doing, lined up perfect for the landing.  Landed, then tried to enter a taxi lane too fast and went off into the grass :D 

1 minute ago, Halkyon said:

How? :(

Are you using XBox App? And is your Microsoft account linked to the right XBox account? I had this problem before.

Otherwise there are three versions, make sure you're selecting the GamePass standard version and it should have an Install button...

It then installs about 1GB and you can then "Play" and it installs the other 90GB it needs.

5 minutes ago, Halkyon said:

How? :(

well last night we all changed our windows region in the setting in win 10 to kribati or something  then pre-installed and play.

but then the game updates itself at around 93 gig or somesuch

It's not nearly as nice as e.g. Apple Maps 3D view of London, sadly. (According to me looking at those pics and watching a quick stream flying over my house). According to the Guardian "400 world cities have been accurately replicated using photogrammetry, others have been constructed using Bing Maps and AI, so that they resemble Lego-like model villages. Disappointingly, London is one of these, and its landmarks are blockily represented as a result." I demand London photogrammetry!

3 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

well last night we all changed our windows region in the setting in win 10 to kribati or something  then pre-installed and play.

but then the game updates itself at around 93 gig or somesuch

Restarted my PC twice and it worked, because logic. Thanks.

Yep, everyone along the Thames on the ground floor seem to be living underwater. It really is a beautiful game though:

Screenshot_2020-08-18_at_14_59_11.thumb.png.0df612851e5f97f2d294d041dd4e93a1.png

I thought I'd try out the market place so I bought the landmarks for London pack for £6.99. At least now there isn't a block of flats where Buckingham Palace should be.

4 minutes ago, tronied said:

Yep, everyone along the Thames on the ground floor seem to be living underwater. It really is a beautiful game though:

Screenshot_2020-08-18_at_14_59_11.thumb.png.0df612851e5f97f2d294d041dd4e93a1.png

I thought I'd try out the market place so I bought the landmarks for London pack for £6.99. At least now there isn't a block of flats where Buckingham Palace should be.

I looked at that view all day for years and that pic captures it really well. Getting the sky right makes a massive difference.

...so...its a bit borked ...i mean....wtf lol

Capture.thumb.JPG.28ebf956d8fd837b5a1a0889a6194f5c.JPG

actually...im gonna go to York, and see if its like this, at least that would make sense!

The detail is a bit all over the place. You can fly and land at Barling airfield which is a small bit of grass near some farms. Southend airport is about 4 miles away. However, after taking off and cruising down the reasonable job of the coast, to the degree that bits of grass are where they should be, you then notice that there’s no pier. This is the longest pier in the world so, while I might not expect it normally, it’s odd that it’s not there when Barling airfield is (I mean, lol, I didn’t even know it was one until I saw a sign by it earlier this year). 

I decided to fly to Berlin in the biggest prop Cessna but fuck me that takes a while. I landed in Hannover for a stopover. Shit weather there though. 

Just a gentle nudge, does anyone have tips on how to configure a pad? I've used DS4Windows so my Dualshock is pretending to be an Xbox controller, but in the game the controller mappings look blank. Do I have to set it all up manually?

25 minutes ago, Mike said:

Just did my first solo flight in the tutorial.  Took off like a boss, did all the turns like I knew what I was doing, lined up perfect for the landing.  Landed, then tried to enter a taxi lane too fast and went off into the grass :D 

17 minutes ago, Flub said:

There's some cheap London dlc in the marketplace. Has anyone tried it?

I watched Spamfish stream it yesterday. Its got a load of the landmarks. Some stuff still isnt there though. I think Wembley was still a flat 2d image.  The Emirates stadium was spot on though. 

5 minutes ago, Herbalizer said:

I watched Spamfish stream it yesterday. Its got a load of the landmarks. Some stuff still isnt there though. I think Wembley was still a flat 2d image.  The Emirates stadium was spot on though. 

Meh. I'll pass. I suspect one of the things MS will do over time is really go to town on the big cities.

I just want all my planes to be pink.

1 hour ago, Graham S said:

It's not nearly as nice as e.g. Apple Maps 3D view of London, sadly. (According to me looking at those pics and watching a quick stream flying over my house). According to the Guardian "400 world cities have been accurately replicated using photogrammetry, others have been constructed using Bing Maps and AI, so that they resemble Lego-like model villages. Disappointingly, London is one of these, and its landmarks are blockily represented as a result." I demand London photogrammetry!

For only £9 or £10 a third party will very soon deliver a much more convincing representation of London/all other prime destinations.

14 minutes ago, Mike S said:

For only £9 or £10 a third party will very soon deliver a much more convincing representation of London/all other prime destinations.

Oh right, so not just modelling key locations, but getting the houses right for everywhere? I presumed that would need bing maps on board.