Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

• 2 months later...

Update!

Greetings Insiders!

Our first Tech Alpha build is just about ready for testing! If you are interested in participating in the upcoming Tech Alpha release, please be sure to go to the official Microsoft Flight Simulator website, sign into the Insider Area, and follow the registration link to the survey. 

When filling out the survey, please be sure you completely fill it out and submit. Failing to completely fill out the survey will greatly impact your chances to be in our first round of Tech Alpha testing. Please keep in mind that we will do our best to get as many people in as possible, but signing up does not guarantee that you will be selected. 

Reminder - you will need to use your Microsoft account to access the insider hub, if you do not have a Microsoft account you will need to create one before you can fill out the survey. Account creation link 

For more updates and information on the technical alpha be sure to check out our next developer update on September 19th, where we will be releasing more information on the Tech Alpha build goals and release timeline. 

Thank You!

The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

• 2 weeks later...

The latest video which is a preview of the upcoming discovery episode showing the flight simulator world. I must say, the forests in this looks absolutely incredible. Having that level of object density though does make me wonder what kind of frame rates I'll be able to get without a supercomputer though :(

Can't wait for 10th October! This game / sim is really shaping up to be something amazing from what we can see so far.

Holy moly. Didn’t even know this was coming. It looks incredible.

I’m a DCS guy and I think I got pretty into it when it’s comes to the ka50 black shark so I’m absolutely fine with any complexity.

I had flight simulator a few years ago but it was already so old I had so many compatibility issues.

This is jaw dropping oh beautiful and I must say I’m watching closely now. I would want it to look like those trailers, I assume this is being built for the next gen rather than the current gen.

I know it’ll be on “Xbox one” but no way a base unit will pull that off.

I would be prepared to build a fight simming pc or maybe some kinda super Mac with external graphics. But if I could use my stick on Xbox and maybe keyboard and mouse too I would very much consider buying an Xbox.

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

While demonstrating something at a meeting, someone laughed at me for using Bing instead of Google. Type "ch4 compound" into each. 

It's a bit of a loose search term though, it didn't show anything for me unless I put USA at the end, and google maps displays it with streetview if you put something closer to the address in

9 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

It's a bit of a loose search term though, it didn't show anything for me unless I put USA at the end, and google maps displays it with streetview if you put something closer to the address in

It should show the chemical composition for methane, in an interactive format. Google just shows the graphic from wiki. 

8 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

There's an impressive thread comparing Bing Maps and the game, 

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/558821-in-game-vs-satellite/

It's basically only the lighting and effects have changed, apparently Bing Maps has been incredible for ages and no one noticed.

That is impressive.

Having not read your post properly I thought it was comparing game (top) with real world photos (bottom) not maps with game. Very nice...

11 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's basically only the lighting and effects have changed, apparently Bing Maps has been incredible for ages and no one noticed.

Incredible. So interesting to hear how they are handling this. I think it’s going to require a lot of bandwidth. I reckon most of it’s being done on their servers and then streamed somehow.

The resolution is so good you could really go on a proper sight seeing mission around the world. Mind boggling.

Wheres the choppers?

On 28/09/2019 at 09:07, RubberJohnny said:

It's got clear images, but very outdated compared to Google in places I've looked.

On the plus side, Buckingham Palace appears to be labelled as Guido Fawkes' house.

Hasn't been long since I posted the last update, but it seems like they invited some people in to play the alpha and now they've posted their videos. All I can say is wow!!

This looks absolutely amazing. Parts are in Dutch and it is quite long (15 minutes), so to sum up they talk about how they get full 3d world coverage. They've completely re-done the physics system with wind / turbulence. They've used CAD files given to them by the airline manufacturers for accurate modelling, fully controllable aircraft systems (switches, GPS, VFR / IFR). They also talked about ATC and it looks like they're using voice recognition to interact. 

Can't wait to fly around my local area :D

Wow I actually can’t tell the difference between real life and the game.

sounds like it’s working as I was expecting In terms of a lot of streaming going on in the background.

Finally that cloud computing thing they talked about is becoming real.

Those clouds....I wanna be inem 

Interesting interview with the head of Flight Simulator

https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/01/microsoft-flight-simulator-inspired-star-wars/

Not only is it streaming Bing maps (which are continually updated by Bing), but it's also pulling in weather data and modelling those in the atmosphere during flight:

One concern flight sim fans may have with the upcoming title is that it’s set to straddle the line between always-online service and offline solo experience. While Neumann says there will be an offline mode, it will undoubtedly be truncated – the ‘full fat’ version of Flight Simulator is set to tap into Azure AI systems, utilising real-time weather data and constantly updated satellite imagery to deliver the most accurate and realistic experience possible, with two petabytes and counting of information to draw upon ruling out a fully offline experience.

Sounds like Xbox launches after PC and may be a slightly simplified experience? Although they note the number of button combinations on the pad is sufficient to actuate all the flight controls. I hope they offer both, rather than making the console version simplified only.

And if you're wondering how real this will be, at least the PC version:

Flight Simulator could even potentially help address a real-world problem – a drastic shortage of qualified pilots.

“Every single manufacturer we talked to [for craft licensing] was super happy that Flight Sim is coming back. The conversation immediately jumped to ‘Hey, by the way, we have a pilot crisis…’,” says Neumann. “Depending on who we talked with, some said there’s 300,000 pilots missing, some said 700,000. They all said, ‘please help us, we need to get more people into flying one way or another’. Games are awesome. Sims awesome [but] this is a real world problem, not just a little game industry thing.”

edit - oh, and 10 years of post-launch support

https://www.vg247.com/2019/10/01/microsoft-flight-simulator-promise-support-for-10-years/

Just think if they are using proper real world weather then you could fly over the Miami and try and fly through the latest named storm as they form....

I hope they ad in the gyro captains chopper one day and let me drop bean bags out of it or let me lead a bunch of birds to their migration point.