Microsoft Flight Simulator

Only had a couple of hours with this, but it's clear that my i5 6600 and GTX970 can cope, sort of, at 1080p.  But I want more and better.  Can I just upgrade my graphics card to something more recent or am I best doing the CPU as well (at which point I'm probably more tempted to just renew everything)

Anyone on an old i5 but decent graphics card?

7 minutes ago, Wizcat said:

Only had a couple of hours with this, but it's clear that my i5 6600 and GTX970 can cope, sort of, at 1080p.  But I want more and better.  Can I just upgrade my graphics card to something more recent or am I best doing the CPU as well (at which point I'm probably more tempted to just renew everything)

Anyone on an old i5 but decent graphics card?

I get the impression this is very CPU intensive.

And, also, GPU intensive.

I'm not bothering with any next gen consoles as nothing I've seen excites me just yet in favour of a proper PC upgrade/full new build once the 3000 series cards are out (and actually available).

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Damn I bought the T-Flight 4 specifically for this and Squadrons. Is there no way to manually remap buttons and throttle? Have you got the TM PC drivers installed for it? Hopefully they’ll patch it in eventually if it’s really borked.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to remap the controls, but I haven’t installed any drivers so it’s just on whatever Windows 10 finds it as.

I do expect it’ll work just fine with a bit of setup time/effort. 

That “squirrel” YouTube link a couple of pages ago is helpful for control setup.

I did my North Wales coast flight. It’s quite an odd feeling recognising childhood places like “that boating lake on Llandudno’s West Shore” from a new angle. Sending my dad screenshot postcards. I was also well impressed with myself managing to find, request landing permission and execute that the way the radio told me to at Canaerfon to finish up. No training yet! I feel like the flight model must be very forgiving on landings though. 

14 minutes ago, beenabadbunny said:

I tried (unsuccessfully) to remap the controls, but I haven’t installed any drivers so it’s just on whatever Windows 10 finds it as.

I do expect it’ll work just fine with a bit of setup time/effort. 

bit odd. If it has drivers, that’s probably it. It picked up and remapped everything reasonably for various combinations of mice, keyboards, Xbox controllers, thrustmaster PS3 hotas etc.

1 minute ago, milko said:

That “squirrel” YouTube link a couple of pages ago is helpful for control setup.

I did my North Wales coast flight. It’s quite an odd feeling recognising childhood places like “that boating lake on Llandudno’s West Shore” from a new angle. Sending my dad screenshot postcards. I was also well impressed with myself managing to find, request landing permission and execute that the way the radio told me to at Canaerfon to finish up. No training yet! I feel like the flight model must be very forgiving on landings though. 

depends what setting. On easy, a lot of it is done for you. On medium, I crash all the time :)

I’m using the “modern” flight model but in terms of difficulty I’ve got everything set realistic apart from letting the copilot do boring shit like checklists and comms. Maybe my WW2 sim experience is helping more than I realise. 
This is with a proper flight stick and throttle, I imagine it would be trickier with a game pad. 

Is there a "correct" way to end a free flight?

I landed my little Cessna at LHR as planned, requested my parking space from ATC, the objective changed to something like "Taxi to destination" but there was nothing on the map to show me where this was. So I turned on the AI control which just turned me 180 and drove me full throttle into the tower. :facepalm:

Is there a way to pause the simulation so you can just pan the camera around and look at the scenery below without crashing your plane into the ground or having constant warning alerts going off as you try and work out where your house is? Whizzing over your town and going 'is that it...? Too late, it's gone!' 'Landing Gear, Landing Gear..whoop, whoop!' /Black screen.

2 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Is there a way to pause the simulation so you can just pan the camera around and look at the scenery below without crashing your plane into the ground or having constant warning alerts going off as you try and work out where your house is? Whizzing over your town and going 'is that it...? Too late, it's gone!' 'Landing Gear, Landing Gear..whoop, whoop!' /Black screen.

Press the 'Pause' button on the keyboard (I shit you not).

7 minutes ago, layten said:

And then after you've paused, you can use the mouse to drop down the menu at the top of the screen - and select the cameras icon - there is a flyable drone camera under "Showcase" tab, which you can fly miles away from your plane to take some really cool screenshots with...

8 minutes ago, layten said:

Note that you can still crash when paused! I tried to fly close to my house and managed to get paused at a weird angle quite low. Fine. Switched to drone view and my pad wouldn't stop vibrating. Then I was informed my plane had broken up from stress!

So I ran through the basic tutorials tonight after getting it downloaded during the working day without too much trouble. Failed the navigation tutorial (which I think it last) I think for missing the final end turn marker. Fuck doing that again!

Then wanted to find my house over Woking. Take off from the tiny Fairoaks airport outside town and quickly spot the lake and do a fly by.

337627555_MicrosoftFlightSimulator19_08_202022_50_52.thumb.jpg.fe93083274a48bb54121aabe1b86bd40.jpg

It's not quite what my house looks like :D

My saga continues.

Had a peek at what my CPU and GPU temps were while playing after finally getting it downloaded!

GPU usage: 0%

CPU usage: 10% @ 90c

10 FPS

Yeah, it's using the integrated GPU and super-heating the CPU (they share cooling in the laptop) so it can't run. Fingers crossed for this massive Windows update and AMD Radeon driver release as the installation folder isn't accessible for games installed via the Xbox Beta app so I can't even override the GPU selection. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Danster said:

Top tip, if you have two monitors, you can pop out all the windows from the toolbar (map, camera, objectives etc) and then reposition (and resize) them on the second screen. 

That is a top tip but one caution... It can cause you to lose control focus on the main window if you click in any of them. Which can cause bad things (TM) when you find yourself pointing at the ground and need to pull up and cannot for the life of you understand why it is doing nothing.

Genuinely surprised how well this runs on my GFs laptop. I updated the drivers last night (she hadn't done it since I bought her the laptop 18 months ago) and it definitely felt a bit more stable. Only medium settings, but it's definitely above 30FPS until you get to very busy areas. Loading times are HORRIFIC though.

25 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

Any way to turn off the music during installation? 

So f-ing annoying as can't play or watch anything else for the next few hours. I swear, MS are so backward for such a leading company. 

17 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Volume mixer, mute flight simulator.

I highly recommend people download EarTrumpet from the store. It's a much better volume and output device control.

17 minutes ago, layten said:

I highly recommend people download EarTrumpet from the store. It's a much better volume and output device control.

Do you know if it will play nice with two sound cards?