Microsoft Flight Simulator

1 minute ago, simms said:

Is this easier to install on Steam than the MS store?  Seem like there's been a few troubles with installing on the MS store

Once you've installed the first GB, which people don't have trouble with really, it's the same install process - so no, not really.

Make sure you've updated Windows and any drivers first.

I had the same problem with my x55. It doesn't take too long to get the major things in and it was actually quite fun in the end mapping the stuff I needed and drawing myself a wee diagram. When you're binding stuff there's like an "Input search" field where it really means you click it and then press the button you want to assign on the controller, took me ages to figure that out. Was originally fannying on trying to work out what "button 11" corresponded to.

Wastes six hours last night trying to install Windows 10 2004 before it stalled out at 90%(after multiple restarts)

Just wasted another two hours only for it to to stall at 90% (the first 90% before any restarts). so it looks like MS are not going to let me play this.

Really fucked off TBH.

I have never had any installation failures with anything other than MS published games, or ones released through GP/the MS Store but this is the most irritating and disappointing as I had really been looking forward to this. MS are a total shambles.

I’ve barely bothered binding stuff on my X55 - flaps, landing gear, brakes and the main flight control surfaces and throttle. If you follow the Squirrel vid (basically, start a flight and do it as you go) it’s not too bad. Just wondering what to do with all my other buttons now. 

2 hours ago, PeteJ said:

So I'm sat at my kitchen on a fairly under-spec'd laptop (for gaming at least), streaming* MS Flight Sim at ultra settings over wifi on a fairly average connection, flying over my hometown and in realtime - real time! - playing with lighting and cloud levels in order to get some nice pics.

First 'next gen' moment I've had since first experiencing VR. Wow. 

*I'm using the basic package of ShadowPC. I haven't tried going to a more populated area yet but the framerate is holding up pretty well so far. 

(Game is running at 1080P with everything on Ultra, I've lowered the resolution of the screenshot to get it under 2mb.)

Maybe it belongs in another thread, but I'm interested in this ShadowPC thing, just to stream this game, as I'm on MacOS. What's involved in getting it set up and getting the game up and running? I suppose I just need a month of ShadowPC and a month of Game Pass.

@Graham S Ever since they did the spec upgrades, they're not accepting new people onto it as I'm guessing they had a flood of interest. The only one you can "PreOrder" is the GTX 1080 which was the older version. They were originally quoting Ultra and Infinite options to be available from 2021, but now they're not even doing that :huh: I wish I could say go for it as it's a brilliant service... but who knows when more capacity will become available.

To answer your original question though (if you do ever get it), yes it's just a gaming PC with Windows 10 on it you connect to. Install GamePass and you're good to go. I've got my Hotas Warthog and Thrustmaster pedals connected up and works really well. I can play on my Macbook Pro too.

It's a shame it's 120 gigs. I don't trust the MS installer with that kind of space after it 'deleted' the Master Chief Collection and was still using up 100% of its install size for days afterwards until I went into the guts of it myself.

Shame that game pass isn't on Steam. I know MS have no incentive to pay Steam a cut of what's already a very good deal for consumers, but at least Valve's installers work.

6 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

It's a shame it's 120 gigs. I don't trust the MS installer with that kind of space after it 'deleted' the Master Chief Collection and was still using up 100% of its install size for days afterwards until I went into the guts of it myself.

Shame that game pass isn't on Steam. I know MS have no incentive to pay Steam a cut of what's already a very good deal for consumers, but at least Valve's installers work.

this is not valves installer, or even an installer as you know it. It’s literally reading individual, well named, files off onto disk: you can see it writing the various component parts of airplanes out if you look in the directory structure.

Getting it to work on Shadow is a bit of a pain in the backside but it is possible. Once you get your virtual PC up and running you have to make sure it's on the very latest windows update, which is at least two major updates from the image they provide. It takes a few hours and multiple restarts. 

I put this on their official forum as the steps I had to take to get Flight Sim to work:

NTFS install bug from Microsoft store - https://www.reddit.com/r/ShadowPC/comments/h0pifp/xbox_game_pass_and_ntfs_error_workaround/

Have removed lots of games but still not enough disk space to install MS Flight Sim - likely you have games still installed in WindowsApps, which is a protected folder

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-delete-windowsapps-folder-windows-10

(Just remove the games, nothing else)

When installing from Microsoft Store you get 0x00000001 error: 

ensure your copy of Windows is completely up to date, and with no updates pending

Try this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/xbox-pc-app-error-code-0x00000001/e0ec52e3-4e1e-4e4d-9527-bf6c2131e2b9?auth=1

The game install from the Game store is fairly small, and when launching it needs to pull down the 91gb file(s). Note that the ShadowPC will shut down if you aren't wiggling the mouse every 30 minutes, and if it does your download will be lost.

PS - I turned on the FPS counter and I was getting around 25fps on ultra. When I flew very low over Rome, in a full thunder storm at sunset, I was getting sub-20 fps. That's on top of the latency you get from streaming - basically keep expectations in check. It's playable but not as good as a fully rigged home setup.

54 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Note that the ShadowPC will shut down if you aren't wiggling the mouse every 30 minutes, and if it does your download will be lost.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/USB-Mouse-Jiggler-Prevents-Screen-Saver-Black/dp/B07MTF9WCH

• Prevents screen-saver activation and computer going to sleep
  • Prevents user inactivity events, such as log-in screen or Skype idle icon
  • Small and discreet, 0.8" (19 mm) in length
  • Simulates USB mouse and generates infrequent and unnoticeable moves
  • No software or drivers required, Windows, Linux, and Mac compatible

Might be useful to someone in the same boat. 

I had a lovely little fly from Tokyo Haneda, along the coast past Yokohama, Yokosuka and Enoshima towards Fuji 

And I figured out how to actually end a session properly and get it in your logbook, rather than just quitting out to the menu, when landed you have to turn off your engines, then the power.

72gcltU.png

Pic unrelated.

X55 people...

First thanks for the hint with the input folders.

For steam it is: "Steam"\SteamApps\common\Microsoft FlightSimulator\Input\

There is already a

Saitek_Pro_Flight_X-56_Rhino_Stick.xml

and

Saitek_Pro_Flight_X-56_Rhino_Throttle.xml

The X55 and the X56 are basically the same Sticks: Simply Copy the xml file and rename the Copy to

Saitek_Pro_Flight_X-55_Rhino_Stick.xml

and

Saitek_Pro_Flight_X-55_Rhino_Throttle.xml

Now open the XML and Change

<Device DeviceName="Saitek Pro Flight X-56 Rhino Stick"

to

<Device DeviceName="Saitek Pro Flight X-55 Rhino Stick"

the same for the throttle of course.

Now you have a fully mapped basic setup by Microsoft for your stick.