Microsoft Flight Simulator

This was a really relaxing sunrise flight from Sydney to Wellington until my mouse clicks stopped registering and I had to abort...

Live time and weather at the time of flight. Taking off in darkness and the sunrise creeping up about 40mins in.

Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_21_08_2020_21_19_45.thumb.png.3534880298b626af89b54eba30304a7a.png

Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_21_08_2020_21_20_16.thumb.png.bd024cec7e8e7291f7e0e43e0e1ce030.png

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

Dumb question. Is there a photo mode? Or do you just hide the UI manually and print screen?

Not that I can see. The Drone Cam hides the flight instrumentation from the GUI but you need to turn waypoints etc. off manually.

I'm thinking this is what I will get a VR headset for. Could see myself sinking many hours into this. Looks like there are some teething issues, but they seem to be looking at the game as a service that they'll continually improve. Impressive what they're achieved so far. I reckon it's probably pointless trying to play it without fibre broadband, mind?

Also thinking about my Granddad, who was massively into the nineties editions of the flight sims - had one of the force feedback Sidewinder joysticks, if that gives any impression of his level of seriousness. I wonder what he'd make of the ground not being one big flat texture.

8 hours ago, Liamness said:

I'm thinking this is what I will get a VR headset for. Could see myself sinking many hours into this. Looks like there are some teething issues, but they seem to be looking at the game as a service that they'll continually improve. Impressive what they're achieved so far. I reckon it's probably pointless trying to play it without fibre broadband, mind?

Also thinking about my Granddad, who was massively into the nineties editions of the flight sims - had one of the force feedback Sidewinder joysticks, if that gives any impression of his level of seriousness. I wonder what he'd make of the ground not being one big flat texture.

Bear in mind the resolution and graphic detail may need to be dialled back for VR.  Personally I don't mind playing in lower fidelity as the trade off would be worth it.  I just hope the VR implementation will be good i.e. being able to interact with all cockpit controls with your VR hands rather than relying on the keyboard.

9 hours ago, Herbalizer said:

Are there any good tutorials for using the nav systems. I want to use the computers to set flight plans etc. 

I think YouTube is your friend here. I found this one useful to start learning a bit more. 

I think this might be the game that gets me to upgrade my PC (when the new cards are out).

I'm on a 1060 6GB, and figured I'd be able to get semi-decent speeds but I'm at 20-25fps on 1440p, dropping to 10-15 in busy areas. This is on medium!

I know this is CPU-heavy, and I'm running a i5-6600k. Would that presumably be the bottleneck?

2 hours ago, simms said:

I just hope the VR implementation will be good i.e. being able to interact with all cockpit controls with your VR hands rather than relying on the keyboard.

The fact you already can with the mouse, suggests that you will be able to in vr as well.

36 minutes ago, Thor said:

So is VR definitely coming? Because I'll be all for this if/when a VR version is available.

https://uploadvr.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-vr-support/

Update: Originally this story reported that VR support was only coming for the HP Reverb G2. Now, developers have clarified that it will actually support all Windows Mixed Reality headsets at launch and is coming to other headsets/platforms later. The original post has been completely edited to reflect this news.

Great news; Microsoft Flight Simulator VR support has been confirmed, but only for one headset right now.

Polygon confirms that the ultra-realistic flight sim will add support for the upcoming HP Reverb G2 headset when it launches later this fall. The game itself is launching on August 18th but won’t have any VR support at that point.

According to a developer update on July 30th, it will also support all other Windows MR headsets at that time as well:

“VR support for Microsoft Flight Simulator will coincide with the HP Reverb G2 this fall. VR support will be available on all Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headsets upon VR launch. Support for additional platforms/headsets will follow. Stay tuned for future updates.”

I didn't realise.  According to this article WMR headsets should work with this now :wacko:.  Can anyone confirm?  Bit of a cheek its only going to work with Windows headsets initially :mad:

On 21/08/2020 at 09:41, Meerman said:

Tonight I'm going to find out if my laptop (i5-7300HQ, 4GB GTX1050 mobile, 8GB RAM) can run it properly (I think not, just look at those embarassing hardware specs :seanr:).

Well, tried to play the game. It recommended medium settings. Yeah sure. 2fps. :facepalm:

So the lowest setting gave me 10fps, and everything set to low or off gave me 15fps. I think I'm going to hurry up getting that new PC that I've set my sights on. Hopefully it can run this better.

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

I know this is CPU-heavy, and I'm running a i5-6600k. Would that presumably be the bottleneck?

Easy way to tell would be to drop to 1080p and see if you get more frames?

3 hours ago, simms said:

Bear in mind the resolution and graphic detail may need to be dialled back for VR.  Personally I don't mind playing in lower fidelity as the trade off would be worth it.  I just hope the VR implementation will be good i.e. being able to interact with all cockpit controls with your VR hands rather than relying on the keyboard.

I wonder if e.g. the Valve Index's haptics would be good enough to give enough "feel" when operating the yoke, or if it would be better to have a physical joystick + hand tracking for the controls? If it's the latter, would be a shame about Oculus getting so closely married to its parent company, because their controllerless solutions look the best right now.

When it comes to performance considerations, I'm still hoping VR headsets with eye tracking become mainstream at some point. Then the headset can tell the game where you're looking and dedicate fewer resources to the periphery of your vision. VR does need a high frame rate and lots of pixels to be convincing, but potentially the per-frame cost could be cheaper than rendering to a monitor once they've sorted that out. Basically when I say "I think this might be the game that makes me get a headset", I'm still thinking several years down the line.

Picked this up during the week and have been particually absorbed by it.

If you pick an airport and just fly, it's peaceful. Completly engrossing too when you remember this is an accurate recreation (Well, as close as they can without handcrafting it) of planet Earth and you can bumble around the skies of your home towns, before teleporting across to some of the most beautiful parts of the world.

Howevever, in a moment it can become the most terrifying game ever made, when you push the aircraft too far and you try and recover it or take part in a challenge like this weekends; Comming into land on one of the smallest runways made.

I'm still just enjoying the sensation at the moment and I'm on an Xbox One controller! Game's running well on High Settings with my 2K monitor with i7 and 2070 RTX card. However, even on my 140Mbs connection and M.2 1TB Drive, the loading is still quite long! Eitherway, not really played a game like it.

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Diamond DA62 Alton

Microsoft Flight Simulator - Cockpit of Diamond DA62

It's taken all week to load but I've finally got it up and running. The game is recommending high settings which is allowing me to hit 60 on my 1440p monitor, but GeForce is suggesting they should be lower. Will take a look and see what happens. Interesting to see what I get on ultra settings.

Tried landing and crashed every time. The one time I did reach the ground safely I smashed into the barrier at the end of the runway :lol:

15 minutes ago, strider said:

The game is recommending high settings which is allowing me to hit 60 on my 1440p monitor, but GeForce is suggesting they should be lower.

The GeForce recommended settings for pretty much everything are usually terrible, in my experience. On my rig I find for a lot of games they particularly like recommending insane levels of anti-aliasing while setting everything else to Low. I don't even dare look at what they think I should be running for Flight Simulator.

OK - I looked. They've recommended turning literally every single setting down, or off, and lowering resolution. Given that I thought the game was running pretty well, this is obviously nonsense.

23 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

The GeForce recommended settings for pretty much everything are usually terrible, in my experience. On my rig I find for a lot of games they particularly like recommending insane levels of anti-aliasing while setting everything else to Low. I don't even dare look at what they think I should be running for Flight Simulator.

OK - I looked. They've recommended turning literally every single setting down, or off, and lowering resolution. Given that I thought the game was running pretty well, this is obviously nonsense.

Yeah I've set everything on ultra and am now tweaking stuff to hit the magic 60fps

39 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I had everything set to High and it ran fine in low density areas. Geforce is telling me nothing should be higher than medium, with some settings at low or even off. 

If anything needs to be set to high, it's the clouds :wub:

I've read some comments saying that turning off the live data settings (weather/traffic) can improve performance so that may be worth a shot @Isaac

This is one of the most fabulous gaming experiences of the current gen.  Yes.. it's so simple & also so pointless, but what a riot it is to fly over one's house.

The tech that is powering this game really is quite something hope it be used in other games   

1 minute ago, strider said:

Can you fly from any airport? I want to take off from Bournemouth as i was supposed to be flying to cyprus today

yes, you just have to find it - if you don't know the code to search on then zooming in close on the area of map should pop it up.