Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

I've been wondering what the guys (Asobo) behind the codemasters title FUEL were up to. Now i know.

Wonder if their own update HUGE MAP tech played a part?

MS's own tech is stunning - their tree detection tech detected 1.5 trillion different types of tree. Thats every kind of tree in the world. Ever.

I'm not even sure the word 1 trillion has been used when representing a game technology. Let alone 1.5!

My number one use case for any flight sim is this:

1. Take off. 

2. Climb as high as I can.

3. Turn the engines off. 

4. See if I can land it.

I used to spend hours doing that in the F/A-18 Hornet demo on my mac. Couldn't afford the game so this is how I amused myself.

Watching Boozy's link. This just looks utterly phenomenal. The entire world is in this game. Complete madness. The way the sky, weather, night/day cycle, even yearly cycle is rendered is incredible. The clouds and rain when you're inside the plane is too real. You can even see traffic driving along roads when you're flying over cities, FFS.

4 hours ago, mexos said:

My number one use case for any flight sim is this:

1. Take off. 

2. Climb as high as I can.

3. Turn the engines off. 

4. See if I can land it.

I used to spend hours doing that in the F/A-18 Hornet demo on my mac. Couldn't afford the game so this is how I amused myself.

In Novalogic's F-22 Raptor, whenever I got stuck (or bored) in the main missions I'd fly upside-down as fast and low as possible, and eject into the ground. :twisted: I used to do it around the starting runway, and try and time the ejection so that the pilot would hit one of the hangar buildings!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, tronied said:

Although it might have already been posted. There's a new trailer for MFS from X019:

There's also an IGN video showing 9 cities in 4k:

I mean... we already know it looks amazing. What really stands out for me though is just how good some of this looks. If you skip to 9:29 in the 9 cities video, it shows off Southampton and it just looks incredible. There's a bit where the plane is coming into land flying over some houses and my brain had to keep telling me it wasn't real. You can see cars driving around housing estates. I've driven on that motorway at the end of Southampton runway!

I literally can't wait for this. I may have to buy two 3080 Ti's for it and my internet connection is not going to love me, but just being able to think of a place on earth and fly over it with a more or less accurate representation blows my mind.

Imaging that in VR :o

On 09/10/2019 at 18:18, Dimahoo said:

I've been wondering what the guys (Asobo) behind the codemasters title FUEL were up to. Now i know.

Wonder if their own update HUGE MAP tech played a part?

MS's own tech is stunning - their tree detection tech detected 1.5 trillion different types of tree. Thats every kind of tree in the world. Ever.

I'm not even sure the word 1 trillion has been used when representing a game technology. Let alone 1.5!

They apparently had a hand in Disney Adventures on the Xbox One as well. And while that might not be everybodys cup of tea, I think it looks lush.

17 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

This looks beyond belief. Are they saying that this will run on the X? How will this be possible?

they’ve not announced it for console; our working theory is that the Xbox One’s jaguar CPUs are too shit, but Scarlett’s Zen 2 processor might well be good enough.

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I thought it was coming out on PC and Console, I'm sure that was said when it was first revealed. 

sure. The latest games pass stuff has PC only. I suspect it’ll come out on Scarlett, but it makes sense that they may not want to try and compromise the simulation enough to fit on Xbox One or One X.

7 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Lower resolution and worse rendering. 

None of which will help with all the simulation calculations, something FS has always hit the CPU hard with. X-Plane for example has this as the recommended CPU:

Intel Core i5 6600K at 3.5 ghz or faster

That is a lot more processing power than either on the current consoles.

New video in the discovery series. This time for aerodynamics:

[snip] See Fry’s post below for video

Obviously the scenery and things look amazing but it's nice to know that it will behave in the correct way too. It's crazy that they're modelling the entire airflow in the world including around buildings and mountains. It really brings home what they were saying about where as you move along the runway, you'll feel different forces on the aircraft based on the buildings, hangers and airflow between them.

This does look absolutely phenomenal!

Having never played a flight simulator before though, is there an actual "game" in there (like Pilotwings) or is it just flying around different aircraft from point A to point B taking in the breathtaking scenery?