Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

VR coming Dec 23rd

“We are going to open the VR for everyone,” said Martial Bossard, executive producer at Asobo Studio. “Everybody will get access to VR now, and when I say everybody [...] it will also be open to all devices, including the Oculus family, Valve family, really every family of headset are going to be supported there.”

Following the launch of Sim Update 2, Asobo Studio will begin finalizing World Update 3 for launch on Jan. 28. That free update will add additional detail and gameplay to the United Kingdom, including new landmarks, points of interest, and bush trips.

This is fantastic news indeed! I've been holding of playing FS until it got VR support. Nice little Xmas pressie right there from MS.... This will be AWESOME. Especially in the current lockdown situation... fly.... travel... chill.... and try not to crash! :D 

It will probably be a bit framey on my PC but hopefully I can dial down the settings a bit and get a reasonably smooth experience. 

man I'm excited about this one, I hope it doesn't completely destroy performance too badly. You lose something in long-distance clarity but what you gain in immersion is amazing, based on my other flight sim VR experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted in here. I keep dipping in and out with the new updates which are released. I'd love to play more but just find I'm a bit restricted with the performance I'm getting on my current machine (30-40fps on sub-par resolution :(). As such, I am planning on buying a new PC in the new year which hopefully will perform better. I'm aiming for an RTX 3080 if they ever come back into stock. Saying that, on the performance front...

What kind of future machine will we need to be able to handle VR in any half-way decent resolution?! Maybe in 5 or 10 years we will finally be able to run this thing in 4k @ 60fps in VR. Still, it's going to be released tomorrow so no doubt there'll be someone with an RTX 3080 / 3090 to give their impressions on performance. 

My new machine can't come fast enough :)

23 minutes ago, tronied said:

Been a while since I posted in here. I keep dipping in and out with the new updates which are released. I'd love to play more but just find I'm a bit restricted with the performance I'm getting on my current machine (30-40fps on sub-par resolution :(). As such, I am planning on buying a new PC in the new year which hopefully will perform better. I'm aiming for an RTX 3080 if they ever come back into stock. Saying that, on the performance front...

What kind of future machine will we need to be able to handle VR in any half-way decent resolution?! Maybe in 5 or 10 years we will finally be able to run this thing in 4k @ 60fps in VR. Still, it's going to be released tomorrow so no doubt there'll be someone with an RTX 3080 / 3090 to give their impressions on performance. 

My new machine can't come fast enough :)

60fps isn’t enough for VR. Cant decide if I try this tomorrow, or wait for some other sucker to give me an impression.

39 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

This looks incredible. It can’t possibly look like this on SX, can it? 

Can't see why not. Series X and S have perfectly good CPUs, and they're sticking DirectX 12 support in so will hopefully be slightly less main thread dependent (which is what the main performance blocker is at the moment). It's a flight simulator, so 30 fps is plenty.

Main challenge will be performance in heavy photogrammetry regions.

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

Officially TBA for Xbox One consoles, so I doubt it. Xbox Series S/X in 2021.

Balls. Guess I'll play it on my new still-has-to-be-built PC* then. I was hoping I could play it with my Xbox owning mates.

Unless there's PC / Series S|X cross play?

*not planning on getting a Series Xbox.

2 hours ago, footle said:

Can't see why not. Series X and S have perfectly good CPUs, and they're sticking DirectX 12 support in so will hopefully be slightly less main thread dependent (which is what the main performance blocker is at the moment). It's a flight simulator, so 30 fps is plenty.

Main challenge will be performance in heavy photogrammetry regions.

I do hope they have a 2K res mode with better graphics and full detail, photogrammetry, etc.

Downloaded the update - tried it out.  Wouldnt bother flying in VR yet - needs more time in the oven!!

The performance is OK...  head tracking works - looking round the cockpit is lovely - loads of detail modelled in the planes...  But there are imaging issues on my Rift.  I get stereo vision, but I also get some weird black overlays, just floating about, clearly in the wrong places.  Very unpleasant/distracting.  Example screenshot below...

chase cam...

image1.jpg

and in plane...

image2.jpg

25 minutes ago, Valver said:

Downloaded the update - tried it out.  Wouldnt bother flying in VR yet - needs more time in the oven!!

The performance is OK...  head tracking works - looking round the cockpit is lovely - loads of detail modelled in the planes...  But there are imaging issues on my Rift.  I get stereo vision, but I also get some weird black overlays, just floating about, clearly in the wrong places.  Very unpleasant/distracting.  Example screenshot below...

chase cam...

image1.jpg

and in plane...

image2.jpg

To get rid of the black box go into the oculus debugging tool and turn off Use FOV Stencil - did the trick for me

if your on a quest (using windows game pass version) you can play this cable free with Virtual desktop - to do this:

Right-click on your Start menu and select Run.

Type in “regedit” (without quotations) and hit Enter. This will launch the Registry Editor.

Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1

For ActiveRuntime change its value to the one that matches your platform (note: default path is shown below)

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR

Close the Registry Editor. You are now ready to enter VR with your Oculus headset.

quick vid i made using VD to play 

Tested a quick tourist flight out of SF international and then the Nepal landing challenge. 

I think the framerate I'm getting isn't really enough so some performance tweaking to come, but also I feel like I lose quite a lot of sharpness this way so it may be something to save for a better headset than Quest 1 for me, possibly. The sense of depth (and vertiginous heights in Nepal!) is really quite something. And the ease of looking around makes those landings a bit easier to pick as well actually. 

One thing I noticed was that you can still use the 'direct player view at point of interest' button which is probably a good way to make yourself feel sick.

• 4 weeks later...

Got massively back in to this in the last few days, and done a few flights today really getting to grips with the Garmin 1000 autopilot system. Did a couple of fights pretty much following a YouTube tutorial, pausing every 30 seconds to understand the systems. Then just challenged myself to do it solo from a small airfield up to SFO. Nailed an ILS approach and landing with no bother at all, although slightly messed up with ATC so need to get my head around the comms stuff better. 

Absolutely loving nerding out to it. Once I’ve fully cracked the ATC stuff and got a few more flights under my belt going to try a slightly more upmarket plane. 

Just completed a nice flight out from the Hamptons across Long Island, before picking up an ILS approach in to Newark Airport that flew me over Harlem. Managed to sort out the flight plan and approach completely whilst in the air via the plane systems. Didn’t even bat an eyelid when ATC changed my planned route about half way through the flight. Cool as a cucumber :)