Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

6 minutes ago, spanx said:

Box had them in stock. Thrust master also had them on their store but for some reason £5 more. So I spent the spare fiver on Box and got next day delivery instead. 

It is a lovely piece of kit. Just taking off and being able to hold a perfect angle, tweaking a proper trim level and being able to manage it all without moving your hands much makes a massive difference. 

Fuck me it is heavy though. 

My “problem” is I have cheap hotas, so although I’d like one I suspect it’d be like the streetfighter 2 arcade stick...

So after being  unable to play this In vr as (quest) as it was the unplayable to

me - updated to the new version and tried and now I can play with vr in a playable state

vr + Hotas is just amazing spent an hour just flying along the north coast of Northern Ireland and Ireland taking in the scenery

very hard to go back the flat screen version now (though still looking forward to the series x release in the summer) 

55 minutes ago, spanx said:

Box had them in stock. Thrust master also had them on their store but for some reason £5 more. So I spent the spare fiver on Box and got next day delivery instead. 

It is a lovely piece of kit. Just taking off and being able to hold a perfect angle, tweaking a proper trim level and being able to manage it all without moving your hands much makes a massive difference. 

Fuck me it is heavy though. 

You play DCS?

1 hour ago, spanx said:

No, just FS2020 for now. Is DCS worth trying?

DCS is a proper rabbit's hole.  It is immensely technical as you're not just learning to fly and navigate with maybe if you go serious in FS a flight management computer. 

Now you have weapons systems, radars with half a dozen different modes each, warning systems, tactical communications, steer points.  It is a massive learning curve but as good a flying experience as you'll get if it is you bag. I came into it when it was just an A10 and I had previously played around with falcon 4.0 which was still pretty serious but DCS is a massive time sink that I didn't have time for.  Check out some YouTube videos though to get an idea. 

3 hours ago, spanx said:

No, just FS2020 for now. Is DCS worth trying?

DCS will change your life.

Obviously the controller you bought was built entirely for DCS A10C Warthog.

I’ve spent many many many hours in DCS over the years. A10c is hard to get a grip of, bring a paper and pen.

Now should someone leave a KA50 Black Shark laying around in the middle of world war 3 then hold on to your pants because we’re getting out of here.

I honestly think I could actually fly a KA50 but if they’ve upgraded the 486dx2 computer systems inside it might take me 5 minutes to figure it out :)

I made a rescue mission in DCs once based around a real world event. Weather was horrible etc, choppers had to fly over to some boats which you would only know where they were by listening to the distress call and tapping in the waypoints then they had to get dangerously close for like 15 seconds to pick up the crew then take them to safety and when you flew away the guitar solo (‘played by me) from top gun would play.

she won’t midd having a comfy seat and nice view in the living room ;)

Played this for today and it is one stunningly good looking game. I just can't get over the fact that London is now depicted accurately. I've just spent an hour touring around the places I've walked around. Seeing how long it takes me to fly the 18 miles I walked once from Piccadilly Circus to Heathrow just for a laugh :D Certainly saves me from my local area and being cooped up over lockdown.

screen1.thumb.jpg.7520dca242465548f418a12bb7dccb5e.jpgscreen2.thumb.jpg.74ec61b329390f9a1956a2adfe3bf084.jpgscreen3.thumb.jpg.aa8af8f7bc48df4eed71f6a43b0cb8ed.jpg

Yep, I am hovering around 20 fps but it will have to do until my new PC arrives. It's worth it playing at ultra just for the eye candy. To hell with the framerate!

• 3 weeks later...

Can any of you guys who are still into this help please - my wife’s grandad has this but since the latest update the marketplace tab in the menus is greyed out and the game crashes shortly after starting a flight. Before I start trawling google does anything spring to mind?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You’re in for a treat. 100 hours down on PC now and I still feel like I’m scratching the surface. Currently working my way across the alps and Mediterranean coast in the new bush trip. It’s wonderful. 

Also upgraded my Warthog stick to a Virpil gimbal and grip (keeping the throttle) just because reasons

26 minutes ago, Ry said:

I can't wait to play this on series x. One of my most wanted games of all time. 

It just winds me up every time I watch a trailer for it and it uses the Xbox logo, but it’s not on Xbox, yet. 

I will warn people though, this isn’t “fun” like most games (or most good games). It’s fascinating, rewarding, beautiful, utterly absorbing and a genuine leap forward, truly next gen. But it is a sim, there’s no real goals or career or anything. It’s just about immersing yourself simultaneously in the detail and the spectacle. If you lean in to learning about glide slopes, how navigation systems work, learning about SIDS and STARs etc it’s the most rewarding game around IMO but it takes time. And can often be quite boring :)

6 minutes ago, spanx said:

I will warn people though, this isn’t “fun” like most games (or most good games). It’s fascinating, rewarding, beautiful, utterly absorbing and a genuine leap forward, truly next gen. But it is a sim, there’s no real goals or career or anything. It’s just about immersing yourself simultaneously in the detail and the spectacle. If you lean in to learning about glide slopes, how navigation systems work, learning about SIDS and STARs etc it’s the most rewarding game around IMO but it takes time. And can often be quite boring :)

That’s my worry with it. As good as it looks visually, I’d love there to be a mode that simplifies the flying and adds in some objectives.

I’ll definitely give it a go when it comes to Xbox, just to see the sheer beauty of it, but I don’t really think it’s for me.

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’d love there to be a mode that simplifies the flying

Well there's several levels of assist and control, much like in most racing sims. I'm playing the PC version with a simple Xbox one controller and just faff about on my underpowered laptop at 25fps with shit graphics. 

But I love it. 

17 minutes ago, spanx said:

I fire it up a few times a week and just choose a couple of points to fly between and almost always start in the air (but very much wish I could change the starting altitude as 5k ft is too high) and then just cruise about soaking in the views and marvelling at the wonder of it all. It's a hugely relaxing experience although there is definitely a sweet spot altitude wise at which the view is optimum in terms of looking 'real' - flying too low can be a little immersion breaking unless in a jazzed up city (and even they can be disappointing - no Notre Dame in Paris even after the World Update!). I really should start doing some of the landing challenges or bush trips though but, for now, am happy just sight seeing.

I would like a proper map though and am quite surprised that the same map that is being used for streaming the world cannot be drawn upon as a reference for choosing start and end points let alone for consulting when flying about.

I think I'll try Bora Bora next as I've not been anywhere like that yet. I'm not even sure if there is a default seaplane available as I always just use the same two planes (the red biplane and the twin engined Cessna) but see one in the trailers a lot so fingers crossed...

20 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I think I'll try Bora Bora next as I've not been anywhere like that yet. I'm not even sure if there is a default seaplane available as I always just use the same two planes (the red biplane and the twin engined Cessna) but see one in the trailers a lot so fingers crossed...

There is, The Icon A5 is a seaplane once the landing gear is up.

1 hour ago, spanx said:

You’re in for a treat. 100 hours down on PC now and I still feel like I’m scratching the surface. Currently working my way across the alps and Mediterranean coast in the new bush trip. It’s wonderful. 

Also upgraded my Warthog stick to a Virpil gimbal and grip (keeping the throttle) just because reasons

On 18/02/2021 at 23:30, layten said:

@spanx Feb 2022 edition.

5cbd20be1054c6c369b3dc7f1c3fb66d.thumb.jpg.5563d3054a532c55ec470c49489ff367.jpg

1 hour ago, JPL said:

That’s my worry with it. As good as it looks visually, I’d love there to be a mode that simplifies the flying and adds in some objectives.

I’ll definitely give it a go when it comes to Xbox, just to see the sheer beauty of it, but I don’t really think it’s for me.

The flying isn’t actually that hard once you get the idea and the basics. I don’t have many assists on other than for convenience (I don’t bother with pre flight checks etc). 

If a pilot ever passes out on a jumbo jet I’ll step forward confidently... and ask them to hand me the Xbox controller. 

I did my own flight over USA and Europe picking airports 30 mins apart to do it in short stints. It was more relaxing than engaging really but I find 30 mins to have a gawp at stuff about right between the fun bits of take off and landing. 

It’s a nice palate cleanser game or something to stick on for a bit when you don’t really want to play anything. 

@layten haha

My other project at the moment is building a custom controller with 8 rotary encoders so I can manage flight systems without a mouse. 

So yeah, maybe Feb 22 prediction isn’t far wrong :unsure:

Stage one of the project is done, soldered all my rotary encoder pins to cables and tested them with the board I got. So far so good, the game controller setting recognise all my dial turns and button presses. Tomorrow I need to drill out the junction box I’m using as a case and mount everything and configure it in FSUIPC. Then I will have eight lovely rotary controllers for all my heading and autopilot controls!

WIP photo from earlier...

B0E717F0-09E3-47E4-8653-15BAE43239CF.jpeg

• 1 month later...