Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

3 hours ago, CrichStand said:

I don’t particularly like Trains......or sims.........but Train Sim World is fucking awesome! Love how it’s got the medals to go for on each scenario. I take it there’s nothing like that in MFS?

Also, does anyone know if MFS has a 60fps performance mode on Series X or will it just be 30fps?

I'd be very surprised if it has a 60fps mode. Even much more powerful PCs than the SX can't hit that consistently, it's an incredibly demanding 'game'. But from what they've said it will have some sort of uncapped frame rate option if you have a VRR screen. 

You could spend twice what a series x costs JUST ON A GPU AT NON-SCALPER PRICE and still not hit 60.

Confirmed yesterday via twitter that this will be 30fps on consoles and possibly higher but only with a tv that supports variable refresh

That controller looks great but is wired via USB, which is a no no nowadays for me.

Interesting, so they'll only let you squeeze those dozen or so extra FPS out or whatever* if it's not going to hurt the feel of the simulation. Wonder if that will become more common as VRR TVs spread.

*Now that I think about it, that could mean that it's close to 60 but not locked.

8 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Interesting, so they'll only let you squeeze those dozen or so extra FPS out or whatever* if it's not going to hurt the feel of the simulation. Wonder if that will become more common as VRR TVs spread.

*Now that I think about it, that could mean that it's close to 60 but not locked.

It’s a game that naturally has a hugely variable framerate - if you’re up in the clouds over a desert in a Cessna  you might hit 60 with the right graphics settings: not much is being rendered, and not much is changing from frame to frame. You certainly won’t in downtown New York with draw distance turned up. VRR makes a huge difference in such a scenario.

8 hours ago, CrichStand said:

Also, does anyone know if MFS has a 60fps performance mode on Series X or will it just be 30fps?

I’ve a 3900X and 3080 FE. Nothing is consistently doing 60fps in flight sim at 4K in any reasonably busy location, and anything other than low graphics settings, for a while: the threading is all wrong for a start and we don’t have 10GHz CPUs.

18 hours ago, Fletch said:

Finally next month I’ll be able to find out if it’s possible to fly under the Clifton Suspension Bridge. 

Funnily enough I saw this on Instagram today. 

Screenshot_20210615_081327.jpg

I wonder how the my S will handle it then. It's clear it's going to be it's first big test. I've an old flight stick for PS3 that I'm hoping will work, and I can have that in the 'office' on the S, but I don't want to drag it downstairs to the X - it's too ugly for the living room*.

* insert PS5 joke here.

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Confirmed yesterday via twitter that this will be 30fps on consoles and possibly higher but only with a tv that supports variable refresh

That controller looks great but is wired via USB, which is a no no nowadays for me.

Are there any flight stick set ups that aren’t wired? 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Are there any flight stick set ups that aren’t wired? 

not got a clue, but giant hunks of gaming plastic connected with cables draped across the lounge floor can eff off back to 2005 where it belongs in my book.

1 minute ago, Gotters said:

not got a clue, but giant hunks of gaming plastic connected with cables draped across the lounge floor can eff off back to 2005 where it belongs in my book.

Ordinarily I’d agree, but not for this. Using proper controllers really elevates the experience imo (no pun intended). 

I just store mine away after I’ve finished using it like I do all my controllers. 

That new one looks amazing, and I’m really, really tempted. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ordinarily I’d agree, but not for this. Using proper controllers really elevates the experience imo (no pun intended). 

I just store mine away after I’ve finished using it like I do all my controllers. 

That new one looks amazing, and I’m really, really tempted. 

It does but:

- Do turtle thingy produce decent controllers?

- Will it actually be in stock anywhere whatsoever (cf. last year's complete shortage)

The thing that gives me pause is once/if the graphics card shortages ends I'd like to PC up and get Virpl gear, which is PC only.

Xbox controller and a keyboard should be ok shouldn't it?

15 minutes ago, mexos said:

The thing that gives me pause is once/if the graphics card shortages ends I'd like to PC up and get Virpl gear, which is PC only.

I got by ok using controller and keyboard when it came out on PC. 

17 minutes ago, simms said:

if any game needs DLSS this is it

It seems like it would really help. I think I read or saw somwhere that it is not happening until 2022 though? 

official FAQ which does cover the dlc question (partially)

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402318233874

Will my Marketplace purchases carry over to the Xbox version?

Microsoft Flight Simulator will be updated on all available platforms to feature cross-save timed with its launch on Xbox Series X|S, allowing players to transfer DLC that was produced by Microsoft/Asobo and progress over to whichever platform they prefer. DLC produced by third-party developers might be transferable, but that is a decision made by each third party development team.

NOTE: DLC purchased on a Steam version will not work on Xbox.

45 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It seems like it would really help. I think I read or saw somwhere that it is not happening until 2022 though? 

It's CPU limited, so it might not help that much!

4 hours ago, mexos said:

I upgraded my Warthog flight stick to Virpil gear - it’s fucking night and day. So worth the money. I’d love to upgrade the throttle too but my planned wedding next June might then be cancelled and I’ll find myself single. 

Hrmmm, swings and roundabouts 

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I need to stop thinking about this game, I’ve been planning routes for ages. Can anyone recommend their favourite YouTubers who play this. 

Squirrel, Overkill, thecorporatepilotdad should get you started

Also PGatacomb although his voice can be a tad grating, great tutorials

17 minutes ago, spanx said:

I upgraded my Warthog flight stick to Virpil gear - it’s fucking night and day. So worth the money. I’d love to upgrade the throttle too but my planned wedding next June might then be cancelled and I’ll find myself single. 

Hrmmm, swings and roundabouts 

omg the button box / throttle. I HAVE to have it.

46 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I need to stop thinking about this game, I’ve been planning routes for ages. Can anyone recommend their favourite YouTubers who play this. 

320 Sim Pilot has some superb tutorial videos for learning how to fly the A320 Neo. He splits his streams between this and Xplane

https://youtube.com/user/filanjix

3 hours ago, footle said:

It's CPU limited, so it might not help that much!

True, but every little helps surely? 

I know nothing of under the bonnet work but could the free GPU 'time' liberated by running at an internal 1080p instead of 4k be used for the sim physics? Or is that sort of thing much harder than I think it is? 

One thing the sim very much would be elevated by would be the addition of actual global mapping for the route planning stage. I only really used the game as a virtual tourism thing so tend to pick areas and just fly over or around them,usually starting in the air but I'll usually land.

Trying to pick the valley, town, lake, whatever I'd like to fly over from the featureless globe that only shows airfields is just a massive slice of unnecessary awkwardness that has really curtailed my pleasure flights. It'd also be nice to call up a (Google/Bing style) map inflight too... 

Very nice. Tempted to subscribe to game pass again to fly up lysefjord for a pass at Preikestolen.

Not played since launch so probably spoiled for choice with updates over the last year or so.