rllmuk
tronied

Microsoft Flight Simulator

This does look absolutely phenomenal!

Having never played a flight simulator before though, is there an actual "game" in there (like Pilotwings) or is it just flying around different aircraft from point A to point B taking in the breathtaking scenery?

3 hours ago, Omizzay said:

Having never played a flight simulator before though, is there an actual "game" in there (like Pilotwings) or is it just flying around different aircraft from point A to point B taking in the breathtaking scenery?

Well, yeah? But you gamify it. Fastest route, least fuel... barrel-rolling under the Golden Gate Bridge.

It’s about the experience. The handling model, setting up low cloud ceilings and adverse weather. Flying on instruments. take offs and landings.

And pressing the [accelerate time] option if there is one.

5 hours ago, Omizzay said:

It's all about the experience of flying a plane, getting as close as possible to the real thing. You can even learn the instruments of any plane you're likely to fly in real-life.

Don't underestimate how anal people get - there was a Space Shuttle sim where people played through the whole launch in real-time. Including the day it took to just roll the bastard to the launch site at one hour per mile, or whatever the speed was; and the hours of pre-flight checks.

• Upvote 2

It will be so much better if it has proper missions and stuff in it, there's only so much 'use your imagination and pretend it's a scenario' I can be bothered with usually. 

I'm waiting on Deadstick because it's simulating the kind of cool shit that no-weapons flying can have, all trying to get your rickety bush plane into a small forest-surrounded runway in bad weather, but there's a Euro Truck style game around it. They have delayed it a lot of times though, small team troubles I suppose. I think Flight Sims in the past have had some of this stuff but I definitely want MORE. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it doesn't have to have loads of crazy missions, but it would be nice if you have do take a flight test and start in small planes doing local routes and can progress on to dreamliners etc.

This is becomming quite the game for me.

I adored planes as a kid, from building AirFix models, building and lanuching model rockets with my Dad to then as a 34 year old Man, only just getting over my real fear of flying. I developed that fear after September 11th and despite going on a plane once every 2 years or so after it, I have got worse over the years so I really wanted to crack it before it became a defining thing in my life.

I went on holiday this Summer on an 11 hour flight and despite having several drinks to help dull the nerves, I had no panic attack and I felt I nailed it.

Which brings it back to Flight Simulator. I built a new PC this year which should play this game perfectly and watching those opening trailers, it awakened something in me. Before I knew it, I've now asked my Wife for flying lessons this Christmas. Just because of this game, if I'm a lucky boy thanks to my lovely Wife, I'll be taking my first flying lesson next year.

Videogames, empowering people since forever, or 34 years in my case.

• Upvote 9

Seasons confirmed then? It can't be that hard to shade trees a tinge of brown if they can cover a landscape and buildings in snow. Looks amazing anyway

• Upvote 2

Another video in the discovery series... sound:

Some highlights for me were the subtle announcement of AI aircraft, the fact that they're doing different biome sounds e.g the Savannah sounds different to the Canaries (that's insane!) And differences between night time and day. I literally can't wait for this just to explore the world. When I originally saw the trailer at E3 I was just glad for some improved graphics and flight model, but they are going above and beyond on everything.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Completely ridiculous. I can't begin to fathom the PC you will need to run this in 4K in any acceptable frame rates.

Remember that a huge amount of the data is being streamed to the console / machine you're using. It isn't all processed locally.

3 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Remember that a huge amount of the data is being streamed to the console / machine you're using. It isn't all processed locally.

I know... But even streaming this quality looks insane. Especially if we think the amounts of detail and simulation running on the background. 

11 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

I assume the tree shading etc. will be calculated locally.

On 15/11/2019 at 23:15, Talk Show Host said:

This looks beyond belief. Are they saying that this will run on the X? How will this be possible?

On 16/11/2019 at 16:40, footle said:

they’ve not announced it for console; our working theory is that the Xbox One’s jaguar CPUs are too shit, but Scarlett’s Zen 2 processor might well be good enough.

Late to the party I know but...

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/microsoft-flight-simulator

Announced to be on Xbox One and Windows 10.

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I know... But even streaming this quality looks insane. Especially if we think the amounts of detail and simulation running on the background. 

2 hours ago, footle said:

I assume the tree shading etc. will be calculated locally.

I don't doubt it will be downgraded for the older machines, but lots of the 3D stuff is already there in Bing Maps.

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

Hang on, this awful gag can be made to work. In stormy weather they can use the power of the clouds to bypass the power of the cloud.

*sees self out again, after edit*

• Empathy 1

Thirty seven thousand airports sounds like a lot. That's more potential DLC than Dead or Alive 5 :lol:

I hope this is a launch game with the XSX, I could watch that Nepal airport all day long.

as incredible as the scale and undertaking of this look I still can't not see the odd ground texture that looks like its come from Pilotwings on the SNES that rips you out of the photorealistic experience, it's like some sort of building uncanny valley. 

I understand it might be missing out on what this is really about, but is it likely to be playable in some form with a pad?

I like the idea of flying about and chilling out but I can’t be arsed with buying yokes and learning how to actually fly a plane.