Jump to content

Microsoft Flight Simulator


tronied
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Mike S said:

 

 

Yeah, it certainly looks like that.

 

I assumed the base game would just include all the released world updates and so on but maybe not so that will be a fair chunk of extra data for new players to download. 

 

On topic, I expect it is too much to hope that MS/Asobo might have streamlined the content manager a little for the console release as it is currently a bit of a PITA. 

Or fixed it so that I don’t have to change tcp ip settings and repeatedly timeout if not forcing all my traffic over a vpn on large files. Tomorrow evening will be interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've noticed when I'm watching vids of this the danger that you get in judging it once uncanny valley like realism comes into play of places you know well, I'll watch somebody take off from City, fly up the Thames to the West End and I'll look at some building and think 'that doesn't have a tree filled courtyard'.

 

I need to check that and remind myself the sheer scale of this undertaking and what they've achieved, which is also only getting improved over time.

 

Its a jaw dropping technical achievement and I'm determined no amount of misplaced trees or launch day server stutters are going to let me descend into THAT internet nitpicker bore.

 

Not to say the game can't be critically appraised but think it's important to keep in mind what it's doing from a visuals perspective and all on a home console.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I've noticed when I'm watching vids of this the danger that you get in judging it once uncanny valley like realism comes into play of places you know well, I'll watch somebody take off from City, fly up the Thames to the West End and I'll look at some building and think 'that doesn't have a tree filled courtyard'.

 

I need to check that and remind myself the sheer scale of this undertaking and what they've achieved, which is also only getting improved over time.

 

Its a jaw dropping technical achievement and I'm determined no amount of misplaced trees or launch day server stutters are going to let me descend into THAT internet nitpicker bore.

 

Not to say the game can't be critically appraised but think it's important to keep in mind what it's doing from a visuals perspective and all on a home console.

 

It’s just one aspect of the sim as well - we’ve seen a lot of low level flying but I’m very interested in flying the big airliners at 35,000 ft as well, the take off, descent and runway approach, I love all of that. Of course I won’t be starting out with those as neither will most newcomers which is why the focus is currently on smaller planes and the gorgeous scenery (and to show it off of course).

 

I booked tomorrow off work, should have booked Wednesday as the game only comes out when I’d finish for the day anyway 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I mean flying a plane isn't that complicated, on a controller cruising around only requires a single stick and no buttons.

 

The only difference from flying one in say, GTAV, is that you have to yaw into turns and then pull up rather than just turn directly, and you have a throttle rather than direct acceleration so there's a bit of lag on changing speeds as the engine actually ramps up/down to meet your target.

 

All the hit buttons to heat up the engines and stuff before takeoff is optional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Isn’t Eurogamer Essential basically the highest award they give? I’m asking because on Metacritic their score is 90/100, so I guess they must supply a score after all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Isn’t Eurogamer Essential basically the highest award they give? I’m asking because on Metacritic their score is 90/100, so I guess they must supply a score after all. 

 

That review is from Eurogamer Italy, they still have scores on their reviews. Same as a Crash Smash.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Metacritic doesn't matter as it's not a game according to the twatters.

Somebody should make a mod that turns the pilot into a 'sad dad'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I fully expect to be bored of this after a couple of weeks and the cloud/weather porn has got old.

 

First sortie - crashing into ex-g/f houses

Second sortie - crashing into old schools/workplaces

Third sortie - visiting abroad places I've been irl.

 

Beyond that, dunno. Hope they add some kind of gamey structure to it. It does have landing challenges but I already know that all of my flights will be either aborted or end tragically.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Metacritic doesn't matter as it's not a game according to the twatters.

 

30 minutes ago, layten said:

Somebody should make a mod that turns the pilot into a 'sad dad'.

Hey guys, really strong stuff as always, just to let you know there's actually a thread for this kind of brilliant banter right here;

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, layten said:

Press 'F' to pay respects to 'Xbox has no next gen exclusives'.

Please can you leave the tedious playground fanboy shite to the console threads where I don't have to see it and just let us chat about the game in here?

 

Moving on, the excitement around the console released has really encouraged me to get back to 'playing' this again so during an early lunch hour I took a jaunt across the spectacular mountains of southern Algeria and then had a look at the beautifully water masked Caicos. For those that don't know, most coasts and water features have a pretty crude abutment of water to land, often with weird submerged jetties, etc but Asobo are manually fixing coasts to show the proper shallowing effects, submerged reefs and rocks, etc and the improvement is spectacular. I also imagine it to be a quietly pleasing, Slartibartfast type job for someone in their office, albeit one that is never ending.

 

I just found that the Xbox bar thing allows me to take screen shots!

 

Algeria:

smaller.thumb.png.4897d323f0470e111ed416beb743693f.png

 

South Caicos:

 

1571174584_smaller2.thumb.png.1cb4fc5ebc9fffbe3391bea5f3cbccbd.png

 

Unfortunately the screen shots are quite compressed, sorry but they are slightly improved if clicked through to with the proviso I still needed to compress quite a lot to allow them to be uploaded at all.

 

I have also only just discovered that I can tweak weather and time of day in real time which means that I am wasting even more time just admiring the views. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I fully expect to be bored of this after a couple of weeks and the cloud/weather porn has got old.

 

First sortie - crashing into ex-g/f houses

Second sortie - crashing into old schools/workplaces

Third sortie - visiting abroad places I've been irl.

 

Beyond that, dunno. Hope they add some kind of gamey structure to it. It does have landing challenges but I already know that all of my flights will be either aborted or end tragically.

 

I can't see them doing that (who knows with the top gun stuff) but they could totally use the tech for a more casual/gamey spinoff. They made a game called Flight a few years back which was like that. 

 

Flight Horizon, get it done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I fully expect to be bored of this after a couple of weeks and the cloud/weather porn has got old.

 

First sortie - crashing into ex-g/f houses

Second sortie - crashing into old schools/workplaces

Third sortie - visiting abroad places I've been irl.

 

Beyond that, dunno. Hope they add some kind of gamey structure to it. It does have landing challenges but I already know that all of my flights will be either aborted or end tragically.

 

I don't think you actually crash in this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really looking forward to this, will be playing on Series S. I play on my living room TV which is 50" and about 3m away so I'm hoping the 1080P-ness won't be too obvious.

 

My friend has a microlight and his PPL and took me up a few times, yesterday we flew up to the Isle of Mull and landed there for lunch, looking forward to trying to recreate that in the game for comparison! I have an old Saitek X52 USB HOTAS, anyone any idea if that would work on the Xbox?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So have any of you guys bought a hotas specially for this? Honestly I’m running out of things to chat about but I want to keep chatting about it because I AM SO EXCITED :omg:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So have any of you guys bought a hotas specially for this? Honestly I’m running out of things to chat about but I want to keep chatting about it because I AM SO EXCITED :omg:

 

I just did some research and it looks like my old Saitek isn't supported, so I have just ordered a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One which is officially supported, and supports add on rudder pedals. I managed to find it with 3 day delivery to my local Argos, so will go get it on Thursday! Seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere else. Will get the rudder pedals later, they are also not available anywhere. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, iwan_canobi said:

 

I just did some research and it looks like my old Saitek isn't supported, so I have just ordered a Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One which is officially supported, and supports add on rudder pedals. I managed to find it with 3 day delivery to my local Argos, so will go get it on Thursday! Seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere else. Will get the rudder pedals later, they are also not available anywhere. 

That’s the one I have and ditto with the pedals, they appear to be as rare as hens teeth. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.