Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

Finally got a go myself, quick visit to the pyramids. It's just gobsmacking. I've said before I was a flight buff back in the DOS days, but then flight sims fell out of popularity just as we got dedicated 3d hardware.

Well, we've made up for that. Holy shit.

I just realized I should have left the XSX on to fetch the UK world update, but can't wait to try that.

My first flight I took off from a little airport near me where I went for a flight in my mums friends plane a while back. Flew over my house and down to Bristol (turns out you can't fly under the Clifton Suspension Bridge as it isn't there). 

I just took off from Tokyo to Osaka and did a lovely flight past Mount Fuji which was incredible but I was more gobsmacked about flying over my little town. 

Took off, found my house, tried to crash into it, bonked into the shared ownership block next door and landed upside down right ontop of the plaque to commentate the victim of that guy who drove a van from Wales to try kill Corbyn. Stunning. Switched over to carry on grinding up to level 99 on Yakuza instead.

4AB085F1-A73E-457F-93DE-4CDD4225187F.png

So I had a great evening with this. In one sitting I think it was about 4-5 hours.

I was twitch streaming it for a friend who was watching almost all night. (‘streaming on Xbox is kind of a pain in the arse)

Took a while to get to grips with it but I’m finding my wings and my previous experience helps a lot.

I flew from Norwich airport and found my house before crashing into it and later in the evening I flew from Norwich airport over to the Norfolk coast in a rather high tech light aircraft. It was pitch black and lightning was going off everywhere as I had real world weather on. I think I saw a wind farm but I couldn’t get close enough to confirm it.

Also took a 747? Off from a runway and spent 5 minutes getting above the cloud cover which was pretty stunning.

I have to say I’m extremely satisfied with the Series S.

This game has clear text, very minimal aliasing, it doesn’t look blurry and the pop in is minimal. Texture detail is great and all the lighting and reflections looks superb too. So if your thinking you have to wait for a series x to play this game then your underestimating what this little S is capable of.

I]For this game in particular I imagine the jump from S to X is noticeable but largely just a cleaner looking version of.

My only worry with the game/simulator is it seems slightly aimless. I guess my personal goals will be really learning a particular aircraft to the point I can program coordinates on the cockpit systems.

I miss weapon systems, guns and flares though.

Choppers are going to be insane, I just hope they have some kind of auto rotor stuff because trying to keep them straight without foot pedals is a chore.

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Is there easy way to invert the right stick camera settings? I can’t find the option. 

Someone posted instructions, worth flicking back a few pages.

It sounds like the Series S version of this is putting to bed performance questions, if it's doing the same thing just at a lower resolution.

Such a chilled evening on this. Took off from Belfast city and visited my girlfriend's house in Belfast and  then mine in Antrim. Took off from Derry and travelled all along the north coast to Belfast. Seen a few beaches I want to explore irl. Expanded my local geography knowledge and had a great time. 

Doubt I'll ever try to sim fully a flight but exploring is such a relaxing way to spend time and I think I'll be on this quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, Mortis said:

No idea how to get active pause working on series X - looks lovely though compared to my ageing PC. 

It's unbound by default, if you go to controller and camera settings and search for "active" you can bind it to whatever you want. LB + start together isn't used for anything so I changed it to that. 

27 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Flew over my house and down to Bristol (turns out you can't fly under the Clifton Suspension Bridge as it isn't there). 

Definitely there on mine, I flew under it a few hours ago. The textures were not amazing, didn’t have the metal ropes etc, but still recognisable.

I can recommend adding in a zoom option on controller. I have it set to LB+ right stick up and down.

I need to trouble shoot it because it might conflict with moving around the cockpit like they show you in the tutorial. Also A for throttle up as well as using the cockpit controls is a bit annoying.

37 minutes ago, Fletch said:

My first flight I took off from a little airport near me where I went for a flight in my mums friends plane a while back. Flew over my house and down to Bristol (turns out you can't fly under the Clifton Suspension Bridge as it isn't there). 

I just took off from Tokyo to Osaka and did a lovely flight past Mount Fuji which was incredible but I was more gobsmacked about flying over my little town. 

Did you download the UK update? I took off from Bristol Airport and flew under the Clifton Suspension Bridge a few minutes ago, it’s a point of interest. However, the M5 near Bristol is hilariously broken. The Avonmouth bridge looks like cars have to jump 100 feet down to the motorway below. The upper split level of the M5 a few miles on resembles a gnarled worm. Motorways are filled with images of static cars taken when the camera car or drone went by, like flies trapped in amber. It’s amazing! The limits of Bing Maps data without the devs going in and tidying the area up, I guess. Can’t wait to do the discovery flights tomorrow to see the more bespoke work that they’ve done.

38 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Took off, found my house, tried to crash into it, bonked into the shared ownership block next door and landed upside down right ontop of the plaque to commentate the victim of that guy who drove a van from Wales to try kill Corbyn. Stunning. Switched over to carry on grinding up to level 99 on Yakuza instead.

4AB085F1-A73E-457F-93DE-4CDD4225187F.png

Mikeysoft Flight Simulator DLC. Seems like something nutters might pay actual money for. Fuck those nutters, though.

Had a quick shot of taking an A320 from LAX to Vegas. Amazed by how good it looks on console but I had to plug in a mouse so I could select all the different tools, it felt too clumsy with the controller. 

Flying smaller planes with just controller would probably work fine with practice. 

It's great to see something like this on console though. As is the norm these days it will just get better as updates get rolled out.

4 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Had no idea you could supplement controls with a mouse, especially on a console. I've got lots to learn.

On PC I played with M/KB and controller before I got the stick. Controller being used for the actual flying and I used the mouse for selecting things like landing gear, flaps, altimeter etc. 

Definitely the way to go with anything that uses an autopilot. Even just mouse and controller would probably be fine.

I really enjoyed what I played. Did one session with live players and took off from Humberside, a small airport near my hometown. Flew to Manchester in a small little propeller plane. I saw the light from someone else's plane when half way, which was a magic moment.

When I got to Manchester, I didn't realise it would be so busy. I went in to land, got denied my landing, panicked and just landed on the grass next to the runway. A huge 747 was taking off next to me - must have wondered WTF I was doing. I was so scared I was going to ruin someone else's journey.

I definitely prefer doing shorter flights in smaller planes. The long haul stuff is dull, which is perfect really, as it totally is in real life too imo. Very realistic.

Managed to download the uk enhancements.

When flying through London there is a fair bit of pop in on the Series S. the frame rate still holds up perfectly fine but either it’s because the servers are getting hammered, as well as me downloading or the series S had reached what it could do with the available memory. I would add that the draw distance was pretty epic.

I still rate the Series S. the Xbox user interface can do one, just like the PS5 one but Microsoft made a very good ,very affordable machine.

City I live in seems to have had its aerial photography taken during different seasons or something, which is a bit weird as there will be a sudden border where the dry, yellowy fields shift to deep greens.

Took a nice flight over Hangzhou later, though.

I’ll try this later, but is it just a hardcore simulator, or is there completely unrealistic, easy leisure mode to get flying straight away with basically Lottie more than just direction and speed controls to worry about?  The last flight sim I played was on the Spectrum I think.

I just want to muck about for an hour or so, look for my house and see a few sights without needing endless tutorials first basically.

I think the servers might be down or something? Stockholm was more or less just a flat texture right now.

5 minutes ago, Stejay said:

I’ll try this later, but is it just a hardcore simulator, or is there completely unrealistic, easy leisure mode to get flying straight away with basically Lottie more than just direction and speed controls to worry about?  The last flight sim I played was on the Spectrum I think.

I just want to muck about for an hour or so, look for my house and see a few sights without needing endless tutorials first basically.

As easy as you want it, just pick a spot on the map and fly. You can even pause and have a look around with a drone camera if you want to take a closer look at things. 

15 minutes ago, Stejay said:

You can even set the ai to do everything for you for that. I'd do the UI tutorial first as it's not especially obvious how it all works. After that you can just pick a spot and spawn a plane in midair and have the computer fly it for you if you want. It's perfect for that. 

Anybody found a suitable controller binding for active pause? I guess I could plug in a wireless keyboard but I'm liking the couch flying with the controller.

Like most, the world updates were crawling last night, so I ended up doing a quick tutorial refresh, flying over my house, and doing some landing challenges. Annoying the updates are still in-game though as it's what put me off the PC version. Every time I booted it the game would spend 45 mins updating and by the time I got into the flying I'd be out of time :D