Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

4 minutes ago, SplashWaveUK said:

It’s a rocker switch thing on the front of the throttle. I think it’s digital but that could be more to do with my crack handedness / how hard I’m finding it. 

Had a quick look on the website and the rocker is an axis rather than a button. So if that’s controlling your elevator trim it is very much about just feeling how adjustments let you take forwards/backwards pressure off the flight stick. 

Oh, and watch the Squirrel vids on it, explains it much better than me

This is the nicest looking most boring game ever. Well I know it's not a game it's a sim. My wife walked in and said why would you spend all that time flying places and you don't even get to enjoy all the food and drink there :)

I caved and had a quick play tonight, and I'm blown away. It looks incredible even on the series s, and I loaded up the small grass airfield next to me and it's pretty accurate, and flew to Glenforsa where I flew at the weekend and it's amazing.

Wasn't getting on with the controller at all though, I fly RC planes and I'm used to roll and pitch being on the right stick so it was screwing with me a bit as I kept looking around whilst trying to roll. Can't wait to get the HOTAS and really sink some time into this, can see it becoming quite addicting!

Real:Screenshot_20210727-213709_compress27.thumb.jpg.304412bfe85300b09dfa3d22862f1db5.jpg

Sim:

0727858b-fb56-401a-8d60-ce1825deb370_compress25.thumb.jpg.e19c026450aef0c2090ae88917c37961.jpg

13 minutes ago, SplashWaveUK said:

It’s a rocker switch thing on the front of the throttle. I think it’s digital but that could be more to do with my crack handedness / how hard I’m finding it. 

I use the hat switch for trimming (pitch and roll) instead, much easier to make small adjustments.

13 minutes ago, SplashWaveUK said:

6 minutes ago, spanx said:

Had a quick look on the website and the rocker is an axis rather than a button. So if that’s controlling your elevator trim it is very much about just feeling how adjustments let you take forwards/backwards pressure off the flight stick. 

Oh, and watch the Squirrel vids on it, explains it much better than me

Yeah, the Squirrel vid about landing that was released either yesterday or today explains the trim well. Very fine adjustments seemed to have a big effect. Not sure if you can adjust the sensitivity, but you can for everything on the pad it seems, so hopefully on the HOTAS too.

5 minutes ago, carlospie said:

This is the nicest looking most boring game ever. Well I know it's not a game it's a sim. My wife walked in and said why would you spend all that time flying places and you don't even get to enjoy all the food and drink there :)

It's probably the best thing you've got while you're still stuck in Plague Island, to be fair.

3 minutes ago, Pockets said:

Yeah, trimming’s a pain in the arse, that’s wh

y you need to go to manscaped.com/secondcuntiestforumontheinternet and use the promo code RLLMUK to get 20% off the Lawn....

Sorry, I've been listening to too many podcasts advertising that thing lately. 

Just managed a landing in one of those activities/missions at the second attempt!  My son and I have enjoyed  the discovery flights. They are awesome as a starter to just get into flying from the off. It looks like you are watching an aviation documentary tbh, it’s that realistic. Utterly bonkers. I’m loving it. 

12 minutes ago, Mortis said:

No idea how to get active pause working on series X - looks lovely though compared to my ageing PC. 

Left stick in, brings up menu. Scroll up with right stick controlling the cursor and hit the pause button. Then look up the drone camera controls, though I’ve never 100% worked out how to switch between drone and plane control (though switching to the cockpit camera seems to help with getting back just before you crash).

16 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Yeah, the Squirrel vid about landing that was released either yesterday or today explains the trim well. Very fine adjustments seemed to have a big effect. Not sure if you can adjust the sensitivity, but you can for everything on the pad it seems, so hopefully on the HOTAS too.

The main struggle I have with trim is that the indicator goes up in increments of 0.1, but the actual setting is finer than that and you’ve no way other than the behaviour of the plane to know what it’s actually at.

Is there a way to trigger the training objectives, I am currently sat in a plane with the objective "Discover the flight controls" but it's not giving me anything specific to do, or is taking ages to do so. Also the instructors voice is very quiet

Finally got a go myself, quick visit to the pyramids. It's just gobsmacking. I've said before I was a flight buff back in the DOS days, but then flight sims fell out of popularity just as we got dedicated 3d hardware.

Well, we've made up for that. Holy shit.

I just realized I should have left the XSX on to fetch the UK world update, but can't wait to try that.

My first flight I took off from a little airport near me where I went for a flight in my mums friends plane a while back. Flew over my house and down to Bristol (turns out you can't fly under the Clifton Suspension Bridge as it isn't there). 

I just took off from Tokyo to Osaka and did a lovely flight past Mount Fuji which was incredible but I was more gobsmacked about flying over my little town. 

Took off, found my house, tried to crash into it, bonked into the shared ownership block next door and landed upside down right ontop of the plaque to commentate the victim of that guy who drove a van from Wales to try kill Corbyn. Stunning. Switched over to carry on grinding up to level 99 on Yakuza instead.

4AB085F1-A73E-457F-93DE-4CDD4225187F.png

So I had a great evening with this. In one sitting I think it was about 4-5 hours.

I was twitch streaming it for a friend who was watching almost all night. (‘streaming on Xbox is kind of a pain in the arse)

Took a while to get to grips with it but I’m finding my wings and my previous experience helps a lot.

I flew from Norwich airport and found my house before crashing into it and later in the evening I flew from Norwich airport over to the Norfolk coast in a rather high tech light aircraft. It was pitch black and lightning was going off everywhere as I had real world weather on. I think I saw a wind farm but I couldn’t get close enough to confirm it.

Also took a 747? Off from a runway and spent 5 minutes getting above the cloud cover which was pretty stunning.

I have to say I’m extremely satisfied with the Series S.

This game has clear text, very minimal aliasing, it doesn’t look blurry and the pop in is minimal. Texture detail is great and all the lighting and reflections looks superb too. So if your thinking you have to wait for a series x to play this game then your underestimating what this little S is capable of.

I]For this game in particular I imagine the jump from S to X is noticeable but largely just a cleaner looking version of.

My only worry with the game/simulator is it seems slightly aimless. I guess my personal goals will be really learning a particular aircraft to the point I can program coordinates on the cockpit systems.

I miss weapon systems, guns and flares though.

Choppers are going to be insane, I just hope they have some kind of auto rotor stuff because trying to keep them straight without foot pedals is a chore.

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Is there easy way to invert the right stick camera settings? I can’t find the option. 

Someone posted instructions, worth flicking back a few pages.

It sounds like the Series S version of this is putting to bed performance questions, if it's doing the same thing just at a lower resolution.

4 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Is there easy way to invert the right stick camera settings? I can’t find the option. 

Someone posted it earlier - you have to change the drone camera controls.

Such a chilled evening on this. Took off from Belfast city and visited my girlfriend's house in Belfast and  then mine in Antrim. Took off from Derry and travelled all along the north coast to Belfast. Seen a few beaches I want to explore irl. Expanded my local geography knowledge and had a great time. 

Doubt I'll ever try to sim fully a flight but exploring is such a relaxing way to spend time and I think I'll be on this quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, Mortis said:

No idea how to get active pause working on series X - looks lovely though compared to my ageing PC. 

It's unbound by default, if you go to controller and camera settings and search for "active" you can bind it to whatever you want. LB + start together isn't used for anything so I changed it to that. 

27 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Flew over my house and down to Bristol (turns out you can't fly under the Clifton Suspension Bridge as it isn't there). 

Definitely there on mine, I flew under it a few hours ago. The textures were not amazing, didn’t have the metal ropes etc, but still recognisable.

I can recommend adding in a zoom option on controller. I have it set to LB+ right stick up and down.

I need to trouble shoot it because it might conflict with moving around the cockpit like they show you in the tutorial. Also A for throttle up as well as using the cockpit controls is a bit annoying.