Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

They seriously need to sort the downloading of the extra maps. I tried to download the UK one last night but it resets as soon as you go off the download screen. I'm having to leave my xbox on when no one is around and leave it to do it's thing. I only want to fly over my house! 

20 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Anyone playing this on the S? 

Worth it or should I wait for an X? 

Works well on my S, will be interesting to see comparisons.

Compared to PC I'm finding the pop-in (and out) of 3D buildings quite off-putting.  Very noticeable in New York.  Understandable as it's bound to be an incredibly taxing element, but still I would've hoped for better.

No idea whether things like draw distance will differ between the S and the X.

Are there specific areas already or are there plans to curate certain parts of the world e.g. central London or New York so that it is more accurate without tress in roads etc?  Also why are there trees in roads, if it’s using Bing maps I assume trees etc. are on the Satellite maps but is it just using AI to determine what is a tree and not quite getting it right?

Sounds like a very cool experience though.

25 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Anyone playing this on the S? 

Worth it or should I wait for an X? 

It works fantastically well and looks brilliant on the S. If you're wanting to try it (and have the HD space...) get involved. What a remarkable little machine the S is. 

Having to just sit on the menu screen while a massive file downloads is bonkers. There's probably some important technical reason why it's the case, but surely they could have put the world updates in the same category as any other update/DLC for an Xbox game, and just had it download through the OS?

It feels like the kind of thing you'd get on MS Flight Simulator 5.0, not their fancy new photorealistic showcase.

24 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Please don't tell me this means you now push forwards/up on the stick and the aircraft goes up and vice versa?

The controls are weird. Camera outside the plane up is up and down is down which I just can't get my head around. The map is weird as well. Inside the plane the controls are inverted as god intended. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to invert everything so you're constantly pressing in the wrong direction if you're used to inverted camera controls.

Overall, the tech is amazing but this is very much not an Xbox game, it's the PC version dumped on a console.

3 minutes ago, K said:

Having to just sit on the menu screen while a massive file downloads is bonkers. There's probably some important technical reason why it's the case, but surely they could have put the world updates in the same category as any other update/DLC for an Xbox game, and just had it download through the OS?

It feels like the kind of thing you'd get on MS Flight Simulator 5.0, not their fancy new photorealistic showcase.

I can understand it not doing a big download while its having to stream in scenery as you fly, but you'd think it could at least manage to do it while you're tootling around a small space doing the flight training.

11 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Are there specific areas already or are there plans to curate certain parts of the world e.g. central London or New York so that it is more accurate without tress in roads etc?  Also why are there trees in roads, if it’s using Bing maps I assume trees etc. are on the Satellite maps but is it just using AI to determine what is a tree and not quite getting it right?

Yeah, it is AI guessing where trees should be based on the satellite imagery. It is very fallible as you have seen in NY but also very apparent in, for example, UK mountains which are mostly bald in reality but which are given random scattering of trees, mostly in the darker/shadowed bits that, I presume, are being interpreted as forest.

Footle did mention that it is in the Asobo roadmap of fixes though so it will get better in time.

5 minutes ago, K said:

The content manager and associated management and installation of updates etc has been awful from day one but, on the PC, I guess it's a slight improvement that I can leave it updating whilst doing (or playing) other things. Which is handing as downloading the preformance patch at less than 1Mb/sec is very, very tedious...

Did a cold start, taxi to runway, take off, flight to Norwich airport, at to land, and splash down. These light aircraft are really easy to start up cold.

I put in my weight and barely had enough for a couple of guitars so they certainly don’t carry much. Maybe I’ll go join that gliders club in Norfolk :D

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

Please don't tell me this means you now push forwards/up on the stick and the aircraft goes up and vice versa?

No. i want the actual plane plus external camera control to both be inverted. No matter what i do i cant get the camera control inverted. 

47 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

It’s not trying to identify specific trees. There’s a bug report with a lot of upvotes on trees, but presumably it isn’t trivial to fix without losing forests 🙂

1 minute ago, footle said:

It’s not trying to identify specific trees. There’s a bug report with a lot of upvotes on trees, but presumably it isn’t trivial to fix without losing forests 🙂

Yep I wasn’t talking about specific trees, just wondering what the plans were for the obvious immersion breaking stuff, like trees in middle of roads, gaps in motorways etc. and whether there were specific areas of the map that had been hand curated/crafted. They obviously couldn’t do the hand crafted stuff for the whole world but perhaps for key areas etc.

Well this really is something to behold isn't it. As with others I'm finding flying over places I know more interesting that going to all the wonderful sights the world has to offer. Had a lovely time sat with my wife flying over the Lake District and picking out all the walking routes we did in May, and the cottage we stayed in. It has to be said some of the paths are a lot more obvious from a plane than they are on the ground!

My mate has a pilots license and has always been into flight sim so he is coming over tonight to check it out as he wants to pick up a seriesX to play it. He's taken me flying before in a Cessna, so my first take off was from East Midlands in said plane to recreate the experience.

21 minutes ago, Ry said:

No. i want the actual plane plus external camera control to both be inverted. No matter what i do i cant get the camera control inverted. 

Go to the home menu. Select options, then controls options. Then select camera, then external camera and remap the right stick for up/down.

27 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Well this really is something to behold isn't it. As with others I'm finding flying over places I know more interesting that going to all the wonderful sights the world has to offer. Had a lovely time sat with my wife flying over the Lake District and picking out all the walking routes we did in May, and the cottage we stayed in. It has to be said some of the paths are a lot more obvious from a plane than they are on the ground!

My mate has a pilots license and has always been into flight sim so he is coming over tonight to check it out as he wants to pick up a seriesX to play it. He's taken me flying before in a Cessna, so my first take off was from East Midlands in said plane to recreate the experience.

Omg yeah I’d forgotten about the lakes, I’ll have to fly over Helvellyn later. 

33 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Does anyone know why some areas look clear on the world map and why some seem to have a layer over them? It can’t be clouds cause I have chosen clear skies.

The world map is just bing maps, basically, so it depends on what they have available. 

3 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Go to the home menu. Select options, then controls options. Then select camera, then external camera and remap the right stick for up/down.

You have to do the same with the drone controls too, maddeningly.

I've been playing Flight Sim since PC launch, it's an amazing achievement but it's crying out for a decent UI team to sort out the front end and a proper career mode too. My girlfriend was having a go at the tutorials last night, she's a patient soul but found the number of button presses required to get from one tutorial to the next baffling, particularly when the UI taunts you with a 'next' button - a button you'd naively imagine would take you to the next tutorial in the sequence. By no means, it takes you to a follow up screen where the next button press will dump you back to the main menu. If you want to find your next tutorial you have to find the tutorial button and then navigate to the next tutorial with the clunky analogue cursor and probable use of the R stick as every UI box is madly oversized. It's a relatively small issue but the whole experience suffers from this sort of thing which is a shame as it all gets in the way of enjoying what is a great simulator.