Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

18 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

I don't think there's the usual 'invert control' tick box. I just remapped the individual direction controls to be the right way round. (On PC)

Somebody earlier said it's under drone settings or something? It's worth going back a couple of pages because it's been brought up a couple of times.

Anyone get the multiplayer 'group' to work? Tried to join friends and we kept getting message we've left the group.  Ended up just choosing LIVE and spawning at the same airport but hectic to find each other in the air at times. Was wondering if being part of a group actually highlighted the other player in the air

I started the PC patch downloading this morning at about eight and it was plodding along at a modest but tolerable 6Mb/sec. Just checked on the progress as I assumed it would be just about down by now but I guess Europe is now awake as it is now crawling along at 1Mb/sec with another 17Gb still to DL. 

I'm a little annoyed that the PC patch was delayed until the Xbox release yesterday as it will have kept me locked out of the game for what will be, at this rate, a full day. It would surely have been sensible to reduce the server overload by making the PC patch available a few hours before the Xbox community began their update process...

5 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

All the possibilities in the world and everyone just flying over where they know is making me chuckle :D

They said in a video that 70% of people do their first flight over their home. 

5 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

All the possibilities in the world and everyone just flying over where they know is making me chuckle :D

I know - It's completely what I'm doing too. I went to the Pyramids. Cool, pyramids, interesting....Back to the UK shortly after...

It's just much easier to trigger that sense of wonder at how small everything looks when you know what it looks like big. Seeing the Shard dwarfed beneath you, seeing the curve of the Thames like you used to watch on EastEnders. I've seen this in a real plane and when I can see the places I know, low enough to recognise - that's always been the most exhilarating flights I've been on. This 'game' amazing recreated that for me.

It's pretty alright on a controller to just explore. Which is great. It's so accessible if you can just ignore the density of menus and just fly around.  

But I'm enjoying a sense of fine tuned control more than I thought, and certain things like the pitch trim being really hard to dial in with the R stick is making that HOTAS is really tempting now (I'd always get some use on Star Wars Squadrons and Elite...)

3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

They said in a video that 70% of people do their first flight over their home. 

Something to add again to this - it's somehow more fun when you know the lay of the land better. 

I went to Isle of Wight earlier - as I flew North, I realised it wouldn't take me long to visit Reading, because I am from there, and it was fun to be able to navigate just by recognising towns along the way. That kind of navigation almost 'gamifies' the flight if you can do it by eye rather than maps or the compass.

After going to the Pyramids I realised I have no idea what anything is other than the big shapes, so it wasn't as interesting to fly once i'd taken the scenery in.

27 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Something to add again to this - it's somehow more fun when you know the lay of the land better. 

I went to Isle of Wight earlier - as I flew North, I realised it wouldn't take me long to visit Reading, because I am from there, and it was fun to be able to navigate just by recognising towns along the way. That kind of navigation almost 'gamifies' the flight if you can do it by eye rather than maps or the compass.

After going to the Pyramids I realised I have no idea what anything is other than the big shapes, so it wasn't as interesting to fly once i'd taken the scenery in.

Agree with this. I took the day off work for launch and my first flight involved following my commute to work 🙃

I inverted the controls so its like a normal game. Then i restart a flight and its all messed up even though the settings look the same. i sued this by the way as it can be confusing : https://www.polygon.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-guide/21404006/invert-look-camera-cockpit-drone-thumbstick-controller#:~:text=You're looking for Cockpit,to assign a new one.&text=Click on Select an input,)%2C and then click Validate.

Also, still cant do the active pause so i can take photos. Whats going on?

Las Vegas is well modelled, and you can start at KLAS (McCarran Airport), head straight and turn right when you see the hotels.  It's a strange feeling to be flying over a photo realistic Strip in 2021, as I used to do this in Flight Sim 2004.  At that time it seemed impressive the hotels and resorts were modelled into the game at all.  But the comparison leads me to notice that for all the technical achievement this new version represents, in 2004 the Bellagio fountains were animated and in 2021 it's just a still lake! 

On PC. Is the world map still just grey for anyone else when you zoom in?

I'm fully updated, with uncapped data, but it's just not pulling in any of the Bing maps etc. to aid in picking out places of interest. This was the one QoL thing I was most interested in.

21 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Agree with this. I took the day off work for launch and my first flight involved following my commute to work 🙃

Ha this is great I'm going to do that later, screw you traffic I've got a plane. 😂

Tried to take off in a 747 from Kemble but the runway wasn't long enough. 

18 minutes ago, Ry said:

inverted the controls so its like a normal game.

Please don't tell me this means you now push forwards/up on the stick and the aircraft goes up and vice versa?

I’m finding the controls great with an Xbox pad, but I’m definitely going to invest in a mouse, any recommendations for a Bluetooth one that’s decent but won’t break the bank? 

1 hour ago, Dark Soldier said:

Aye, but flying along the cost where I live last night as the sun was setting over the horizon mirroring exactly what I could see outside is one of the most magical experiences I’ve had in gaming, and landing on the little airstrip I go on my morning run past each day, near brought I tear to my eye :wub:

They seriously need to sort the downloading of the extra maps. I tried to download the UK one last night but it resets as soon as you go off the download screen. I'm having to leave my xbox on when no one is around and leave it to do it's thing. I only want to fly over my house! 

19 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Anyone playing this on the S? 

Worth it or should I wait for an X? 

If X is the one you’d really like wait for that, it’ll be worth the wait. 

20 minutes ago, Marlew said:

Works well on my S, will be interesting to see comparisons.

Compared to PC I'm finding the pop-in (and out) of 3D buildings quite off-putting.  Very noticeable in New York.  Understandable as it's bound to be an incredibly taxing element, but still I would've hoped for better.

No idea whether things like draw distance will differ between the S and the X.

Are there specific areas already or are there plans to curate certain parts of the world e.g. central London or New York so that it is more accurate without tress in roads etc?  Also why are there trees in roads, if it’s using Bing maps I assume trees etc. are on the Satellite maps but is it just using AI to determine what is a tree and not quite getting it right?

Sounds like a very cool experience though.

25 minutes ago, Marlew said:

It works fantastically well and looks brilliant on the S. If you're wanting to try it (and have the HD space...) get involved. What a remarkable little machine the S is. 

Having to just sit on the menu screen while a massive file downloads is bonkers. There's probably some important technical reason why it's the case, but surely they could have put the world updates in the same category as any other update/DLC for an Xbox game, and just had it download through the OS?

It feels like the kind of thing you'd get on MS Flight Simulator 5.0, not their fancy new photorealistic showcase.

24 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Please don't tell me this means you now push forwards/up on the stick and the aircraft goes up and vice versa?

The controls are weird. Camera outside the plane up is up and down is down which I just can't get my head around. The map is weird as well. Inside the plane the controls are inverted as god intended. Doesn't seem to be an easy way to invert everything so you're constantly pressing in the wrong direction if you're used to inverted camera controls.

Overall, the tech is amazing but this is very much not an Xbox game, it's the PC version dumped on a console.

3 minutes ago, K said:

Having to just sit on the menu screen while a massive file downloads is bonkers. There's probably some important technical reason why it's the case, but surely they could have put the world updates in the same category as any other update/DLC for an Xbox game, and just had it download through the OS?

It feels like the kind of thing you'd get on MS Flight Simulator 5.0, not their fancy new photorealistic showcase.

I can understand it not doing a big download while its having to stream in scenery as you fly, but you'd think it could at least manage to do it while you're tootling around a small space doing the flight training.

11 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Are there specific areas already or are there plans to curate certain parts of the world e.g. central London or New York so that it is more accurate without tress in roads etc?  Also why are there trees in roads, if it’s using Bing maps I assume trees etc. are on the Satellite maps but is it just using AI to determine what is a tree and not quite getting it right?

Sounds like a very cool experience though.

Yeah, it is AI guessing where trees should be based on the satellite imagery. It is very fallible as you have seen in NY but also very apparent in, for example, UK mountains which are mostly bald in reality but which are given random scattering of trees, mostly in the darker/shadowed bits that, I presume, are being interpreted as forest.

Footle did mention that it is in the Asobo roadmap of fixes though so it will get better in time.

5 minutes ago, K said:

The content manager and associated management and installation of updates etc has been awful from day one but, on the PC, I guess it's a slight improvement that I can leave it updating whilst doing (or playing) other things. Which is handing as downloading the preformance patch at less than 1Mb/sec is very, very tedious...