Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

1 hour ago, K said:

I'm confused about something. When you click the left thumbstick, you get a row of icons at the top of the screen. When I first played the game, there was an 'active pause' icon at the far left that paused the game and let you scoot the camera around. Playing it now, that option is gone - the row of icons is still there when you click the thumbstick, but the active pause one is gone.

Does anyone know why it's gone and how I can bring it back?

I find it tends to disappear if you are doing any of the Discovery Flights (might also be the same with training etc which I haven't looked at), although for me it always returns when I then go and just pick a flight from the map. I believe that you can bring it back by clicking on the cog icon on the right hand side of the icons and clicking one of the sliders in that list.

1 hour ago, RFT said:

You're unblikely to ever manage to get it to fly absiolutly level hands-off. I'd always considered a very slow pitch down or very slow pith up to be trimmed.

Would you have examples of what VS you would consider acceptable at various airspeeds and altitudes? Yesterday I was flying at 150 knots at 16,000 feet, the best I could manage was around 300 feet per minute which made ATC keep coming on and telling me to climb.

24 minutes ago, Gotters said:

The 3rd party dlc in general seems very highly priced, know this isn't an Xbox tax but £10-£15 for some remote airport seems pricey. 

I know it won't sell in large numbers and there is a bit of work in creating it.

Orbx had a vid up the other day saying their stuff is coming to Xbox soon

Oooh, Edgeley Opticas...

5 minutes ago, Swallow said:

Would you have examples of what VS you would consider acceptable at various airspeeds and altitudes? Yesterday I was flying at 150 knots at 16,000 feet, the best I could manage was around 300 feet per minute which made ATC keep coming on and telling me to climb.

I usually aim for under 100 feet/min if I'm flying casual. Personally if I need to be more precise than that for pronlonged periods I'll need an autopilot with an actial alt hold function. I think the C172 will have one but the 152 probably doesnt, and the CTSL which I;m currenly using defintely doesn'timage.png.cadfa40e0f6a347752f85b86465096f5.png

1 hour ago, iwan_canobi said:

Has anyone purchased any of the plane add-ons? I'm tempted to get the Typhoon so that I can fly the mach loop at low level, but £16 seems quite steep!

I am buying the Spitfire later, it’s £22 but considering I’ve paid nothing for the game bar my subscription I don’t mind. 

1 hour ago, spanx said:

@BitterToad I totally get you, it is a tough one to get in to. The joy for me, beyond that initial “wow this is pretty” was really losing myself in understanding what aviation is. Learning about approach patterns, how to land perfectly, using systems like ILS to automate your approaches, flight planning, descent management, starting a cold and dark airliner and getting it off the ground without help. 

If all of this sounds incredibly dull MSFS is just a really pretty map. If it sounds intriguing you’ve got a lifetime of learning, mistakes, massive “oooooohhhh that’s what that means!” moments and a really fucking big hole in your wallet

Next purchase…. https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50cm3-throttle.html

Yeah this is where the enjoyment lies for me, staying within the correct airspace and altitude etc, planning your route basically. I find it really engrossing. 

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I am buying the Spitfire later, it’s £22 but considering I’ve paid nothing for the game bar my subscription I don’t mind. 

Yeah thats totally true, just mean I don't want to drop £16 on it and it turns out to just be an arcade style experience. Watched a few videos on it and it looks like fun, but isn't particularly accurate. Spitfire is probably a better shout actually, I could see myself properly trying to fly that and spending a lot more time with it. 

1 hour ago, spanx said:

The joy for me, beyond that initial “wow this is pretty” was really losing myself in understanding what aviation is. Learning about approach patterns, how to land perfectly, using systems like ILS to automate your approaches, flight planning, descent management, starting a cold and dark airliner and getting it off the ground without help. 

Yeah this is absolutely what I got out of it as well, similar to the joy of discovering what space flight actually is in Kerbal Space Program. Understanding all the principles and processes involved in what was previously just an esoteric hand-wavey thing has been wonderful.

MSFS even got me watching aviation YouTube channels, which are generally just people going for a nice uneventful flight in their small planes with a GoPro.

5 minutes ago, Pockets said:

You do have to make your own game out of it but it's fun to do so. I've going to fly a 747 into my local Tory party HQ, for example.

On that note.. Has anyone tried to recreate any famous plane crashes yet? I mean, I bet people have but specifically anyone here.

Be honest.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

On that note.. Has anyone tried to recreate any famous plane crashes yet? I mean, I bet people have but specifically anyone here.

Be honest.

I don't need to *recreate* famous plane crashes. My planes are continually tearing themselves apart in the air when I fail to take account of height, airspeed, pitch, the right manoeuvre, how much I'm stressing the engines etc. If they survive that, they're about to bounce to pieces on or (as likely) just off the end of a runway.

21 hours ago, TehStu said:

Just grabbing world updates (which they should really push you to grab, I think casual players will miss them) 

Thank you for pointing this out - I had totally missed the fact that you have to download them manually. PC player here so I've had this for a year! 

When the UK and Ireland world update came out, I launched the game, waited for it to install whatever that day's mandatory game-launch update was, and assumed that was the world update! Flew over some familiar places, thought they didn't look any better than before and assumed it was probably only improving London and Birmingham, or whatever. 

Now I have another very large amount of data to download 😭

image.thumb.png.663f072b69fd1ae9dbc91c3db812774d.png

10 minutes ago, footle said:

I don't need to *recreate* famous plane crashes. My planes are continually tearing themselves apart in the air when I fail to take account of height, airspeed, pitch, the right manoeuvre, how much I'm stressing the engines etc. If they survive that, they're about to bounce to pieces on or (as likely) just off the end of a runway.

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Planes fall apart in midair? Do you see this happen or is it just like when you try and crash into something and are given a “you crashed” text screen.

It's fairly easy to overstress the airframe of any given vehicle in flight, with catastrophic results. You can basically do it just by descending too fast and going above the ship's never-exceed speed. You don't see anything graphic - much like when you perform a CFIT, it just fades to black and says something like "your aircraft can't do that". 

Fortunately you can turn this behaviour off in the settings (although it still bongs and vibrates at you when you're doing something too stressful). 

3 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

You don't see anything graphic - much like when you perform a CFIT, it just fades to black and says something like "your aircraft can't do that".  

This is so disappointing.

5 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Fortunately you can turn this behaviour off in the settings (although it still bongs and vibrates at you when you're doing something too stressful). 

It's quite likely the behaviour is turned off by default, along with things like "you have unlimited fuel and there's no icing". I've turned it on because you do need some stress/limitations, or what's the point?

This is probably a silly question, but how does the paid DLC work? Do devs get to choose somewhere they want to model and that place is then marked on a checklist or similar, so that no one else (including Microsoft) then go and release another version later on? Some of the add-ons look great, especially the airports, but if at some point Asobo will be modelling these then I'd rather wait. Cheers

1 minute ago, Death Adder said:

How many planes are included?  Every bit of footage I've seen has the Cessna.

Loads, but they're all too fast for sightseeing. If you're trying to fly at low altitude over routes you know, and navigate by roads/landmarks etc, you'll be amazed how quickly it goes under you - even in a relatively slow aircraft like the Cessna, you'll still be doing the equivalent of 100mph+. 

It'd be different if you want to simulate an airliner journey, or something like that where you wouldn't be looking at ground scenery anyway. But for 'show off' footage, I think everyone just uses the Cessna because it's in the sweet spot of slow, but not too slow. 

5 minutes ago, Death Adder said:

How many planes are included?  Every bit of footage I've seen has the Cessna.

There's loads. If you don't specifically choose one before a flight (from the world map thing) then you're in the Cessna.

3 minutes ago, footle said:

It's quite likely the behaviour is turned off by default, along with things like "you have unlimited fuel and there's no icing". I've turned it on because you do need some stress/limitations, or what's the point?

I can't remember about fuel but I'm sure I did have to turn airframe stress off when I first started playing this (at PC launch a year ago) because I'm not very good and I got fed up with breaking my aircraft. 

It's totally possible that the defaults have been updated in the mean time to make it friendlier/less intimidating etc.

1 hour ago, K said:

It's sort of amazing that Microsoft haven't got one of their UI teams to rethink the game's front end. In theory, the interface shouldn't be any more complicated than Minecraft, but they've really made a dog's dinner of it. There really needs to be some kind of casual-focused globetrotter mode, where you can bring up the map at any time, go anywhere you like, send bookmarks of interesting places to your friends, easily meet up with them, challenge each other to fly under bridges, etc etc.

This is spot on for me. I get that it's a technical marvel, and even more so that it's running on my S, but as an experience it's almost the diametric opposite of everything else on there. It doesn't quick resume, it takes ages to start, if there are updates they take ages and you can't do anything else while they're downloading. And the entire interface is just pages and pages of nested menus. I realise it has much more in common with a piece of PC business software than with a console game, including the fact that it expects you to go and learn how to use it from someone else who already knows rather than expecting the software itself to hold your hand. It's just really surprising that having done the (presumably) hard part of actually getting it working on this tiny box in the first place, they didn't add that extra layer of user friendliness for those of us who just want to pootle around gawping at stuff.

None of that is criticism of the game or even of the complexity of the menus. I get why they're so complex and it's brilliant that it offers that insane level of depth and realism. But a casual mode would be such a fantastic feature that it seems like a no-brainer.

I suppose this is just a tl;dr way of saying I see what everyone meant when they said it was a sim not a game.

On 27/07/2021 at 19:04, Pockets said:

I wonder if this would be playable with my steering wheel. What do the experts think? I guess I’d need to assign something to up and down. 

Don't think anyone answered this, did they? Yeah it would work well enough, after a fashion. I'd probably use the shifter paddles for pitch - up (right hand) for nose up, down (left hand) for nose down. Then of course your roll axis is the wheel itself, and you could bind your yaw axis to the pedals. 

It'd be a bit hacky and would take some getting used to but fundamentally I don't see why you shouldn't be able to play fairly well like that. 

Conversely, I need to see someone using a yoke with a racing game. They are just steering wheels with pitch, really.

Last night I had all my screens and panels and radio etc turn off as I was taking off, the plane worked fine but I was flying blind

I thought they'd modelled some sort of random failure but I'd simply not flipped a single switch which meant only one engine was generating power for the electronics. I don't know how pilots don't crash all the time in real life.

4 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Conversely, I need to see someone using a yoke with a racing game. They are just steering wheels with pitch, really.

With a relatively tiny range of rotation.  Might work for a single seater?