Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

I get that but instead of pulling the nose up and down i end up fiddling with the trim rocker on the back of the accelerator stick, I may be being a bit heavy handed with it but it seemed quite choppy over NY last night and if i left the main stick alone never really got a level trim only altitude going, same in the training. 

1 hour ago, Swallow said:

Would you have examples of what VS you would consider acceptable at various airspeeds and altitudes? Yesterday I was flying at 150 knots at 16,000 feet, the best I could manage was around 300 feet per minute which made ATC keep coming on and telling me to climb.

Assuming your aircraft has 'traditional' instruments then a good rule of thumb is that the VSI is the first thing to move when you initiate a climb or descent and the last thing to stop when you level off.  If you're in a climb or descent and you want to level off, adjust the attitude to 'stop the clock' (stop the altimeter changing) and hold that until the VSI settles down.  You can then make smaller adjustments to finesse.  If you think you're flying straight and level, the VSI will give you an indication of whether you start climbing or descending before the altimeter moves.  If your aircraft has some fancy-pants electronic display then it might have a Velocity Vector (VV), in which case you just put that on the artificial horizon and jobs a good 'un.

Trimming is a dark art, it may be that the sensitivity of the hat is too high (I don't know if you can change it in settings). Bigger aircraft tend to have specific trim wheels which are much less sensitive and allow fine adjustment, but I don't know if that's simulated here?  Is there an auto-trim setting that would make life easier?

5 hours ago, Lochenvar said:

I don't know if it's a bug, or just unclear in its labelling, but the external camera seems to work if you set it to the opposite of what you would think you want it to be.

So, I like inverted controls - I set the internal camera to 'push up to look down, pull back to look up'. If I set the external camera to the opposite, 'push up to look up, pull back to look down', that works how I'd expect it to.

This works - THANK YOU. External camera now inverted and I can enjoy this fully.

Having watched a few Typhoon videos on YouTube (including one where the person makes it to SPACE) I think I will buy that one. I don't think I need much more in the way of planes but I do feel like the main thing the base game was missing something with a little speed.

As someone mentioned earlier it feels like a small price to play considering the game itself is effectively free with Gamepass!

There's a copilot auto-trim setting if you need it.

@Darren Now imagine that there's only five training courses, and they stop with "you can fly a cessna using VFR but all the other stuff hasn't been told to you".

31 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Having watched a few Typhoon videos on YouTube (including one where the person makes it to SPACE) I think I will buy that one. I don't think I need much more in the way of planes but I do feel like the main thing the base game was missing something with a little speed.

As someone mentioned earlier it feels like a small price to play considering the game itself is effectively free with Gamepass!

I disagree! 

The only thing this game needed was less speed!

Cruising over the cities and countryside at 30mph in the Top Rudder 103 has proven to be well worth the £8 it cost. It doesn't even have flaps! 

Fuck me this UI though. All the updates I thought that I'd downloaded yesterday, didn't. I just "own" them but none of it downloaded. So all the content and detail packs are sitting in the content manager. Does ticking them download them? The entire front end feels like a programmer made it without a designer ever looking at it. It's like using PHP My admin or something. Just horrible.

16 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I disagree! 

The only thing this game needed was less speed!

Cruising over the cities and countryside at 30mph in the Top Rudder 103 has proven to be well worth the £8 it cost. It doesn't even have flaps! 

Just bought the plane off the back of this post; sounds ideal for VR sightseeing!

i had a problem yesterday when clocking the left stick on my XSX controller.

The bar appeared (without the active pause button) and when it was clicked, it reduced the power of my engine to zero each and every time.

When unclicked (clicked again), i had to increase throttle to prevent crashing.

Was this a bug anyone else has had?

25 minutes ago, ulala said:

i had a problem yesterday when clocking the left stick on my XSX controller.

The bar appeared (without the active pause button) and when it was clicked, it reduced the power of my engine to zero each and every time.

When unclicked (clicked again), i had to increase throttle to prevent crashing.

Was this a bug anyone else has had?

Isn't this is the AI pilot assistant trying to fly rthe plane for you while you have the cursor up? I don;lt know why it;s always so keen to cut power, but it does. Haven;t had it cut to zero, but have had it drop the throttle pretty sharply.

1 minute ago, RFT said:

Isn't this is the AI pilot assistant trying to fly rthe plane for you while you have the cursor up? I don;lt know why it;s always so keen to cut power, but it does. Haven;t had it cut to zero, but have had it drop the throttle pretty sharply.

ive never noticed it before, only yesterday. It would absolutely crash the plane in a few seconds if i left the toolbar on screen.

it definitely cut it to zero power and the plane fell out of the sky. i will see if i can recreate it later

47 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Fuck me this UI though. All the updates I thought that I'd downloaded yesterday, didn't. I just "own" them but none of it downloaded. So all the content and detail packs are sitting in the content manager. Does ticking them download them? The entire front end feels like a programmer made it without a designer ever looking at it. It's like using PHP My admin or something. Just horrible.

Yeah, it's awful. You need to tick - then click "download" or something in the bottom right.

46 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

This happened to me. I think the game only downloads updates for as long as the game is running - and because the download servers were getting caned at the time the download was coming in at a snails pace, so after an hour it had only done about a gig. It did cache some of the download and was able to pick up again part-way through, but I had to go manually activate the download again. Painful. 

6 minutes ago, RFT said:

I think it’s the AI pilot. Mine did the same, every time I clicked in the stick it would veer way off the runway approach waypoint set by Glasgow ATC. No idea why. Not a fan of deep fried Mars bars and heroin, maybe?

15 minutes ago, cowfields said:

1. I do think it needs more speed

2. I NOW ALSO THINK IT NEEDS LESS SPEED so I'm probably going to buy that. 

Don't get me wrong, I've crashed horribly a number of times* due to wanting to get a bit closer to a landmark so I am excited about something slow. I'm just enticed by the idea of climbing really fast or the OOOHHHH SHIT feeling of breaking Mach whatever.

* Case in point...

image.thumb.png.2ba3a623d21793488c4e976092d0032b.png

:lol:

I think the game should keep crash wreckages there, can you imagine the piles of planes littering the streets around all the famous landmarks! That and every runway would have a boneyard at the approach, end, sides....

57 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Just bought the plane off the back of this post; sounds ideal for VR sightseeing!

Yep, it is the perfect tourist plane!

It can also get the ground in what seems like 30ft and can land on a not too much longer stretch of ground which keeps encouraging me to try and land it in increasingly implausible spots. 

I wanted to ask about whether there was a quicker way to get you back in the air after you crash. As in just reposition the plane 5000 ft in the air and you can carry on with the journey. You can almost do that - just quit and find the spot on the world map and back you go but that's very long winded.

But...I don't think I do want that feature. Crashing and not being able to carry on is perhaps the only 'game' part of it. In so far as there is a "game over"

The Icon thing is good for sightseeing too. I was doing the fort William discovery flight with it, a joy to go along Loch leven.

Then I crashed into a mountain as it can't climb for shit.

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

This looks so OTT I absolutely, 100%, without a doubt need it.

yep this is now a definite purchase for me, I’m on the pre-order notification for whenever that becomes available, launching in October I think? 

I'm interested in how many of you new players seem to have gone for sightseeing and realistic flights. I made a beeline for the landing challenges myself, the ones where you're trying to drop into a tiny airstrip (e.g. Nepal) especially. We could have a high score tournament!

13 minutes ago, milko said:

I'm interested in how many of you new players seem to have gone for sightseeing and realistic flights. I made a beeline for the landing challenges myself, the ones where you're trying to drop into a tiny airstrip (e.g. Nepal) especially. We could have a high score tournament!

Did a few of these at lunch. Drug run in the hills? Success. A320 in Japan? 1 crash, 1 landing. Lear Jet in the icy mountains of Jackson Hole? Epic stack. It's really fun.

1 hour ago, footle said:

Yeah, it's awful. You need to tick - then click "download" or something in the bottom right.

Got everything installed now, thanks.

Also bough that ultra-light aircraft that @Mike S mentioned, I'm going to take it out on the south west coast tonight and see how accurate the live weather is when Storm Evert hits.

6 hours ago, Harrisown said:

I’m in love.

Cold start in a Cessna ASXGSA. I don’t bother with check lists, I’ll figure it out. Batteries, fuel pump, engines, parking break. Let’s go!

heathrow to Norwich.

I got pushed out by the ground crew for the first time and actually used the Tower to take off clearance for the first time. Everything I’m doing is pretty much winging it.

Currently cursing along at about 9,000 feet half way to Norwich.

I’m starting to get the feelings ‘I got when I played DCS World. Up in the air above the clouds, blue sky, hum of the engines, that real world feeling of fresh cool clean air around you and relaxation.

Beautiful game

What is the game some people ask?

Well for me it’s about learning the aircraft. Can you program the in cockpit navigation? Recover from a failure? Land perfectly constantly? Start cold , all that stuff.

It’s no DCs world where you blowing up tanks and bombing stuff unfortunately but what’s here is pure sim.

How do you begin the flight with a cold start?

10 hours ago, RFT said:

why do you think it has to open? It's because of the invisible forcefield. everyone knows that.

I had another go at it..

oh.

Has anyone tried running through the training mode? I have tried a few of them and, unless I am missing something, they seem massively buggy. Case in point; I tried the one on attitutde where you have three lines drawn on the cock pit window; it asks me to pitch up so I line the horizon to the bottom line, check. Then I need to line up back with the middle line, check. Then...nothing, no further objectives until eventually I leave the training area.

I would like to learn, and really enjoyed the squirrel videos for Xbox, but the training mode is frustrating the hell out of me