Jump to content
IGNORED

Microsoft Flight Simulator


tronied
 Share

Recommended Posts

Spent the evening yesterday on that Scotland discovery flight, just gorgeous and so relaxing, I love that little plane, great fun landing it in the water and taking off again, and again.

 

Later I’m planning on learning how to program cruise speeds and descents etc into jets, does Squirrel have any vids about this, or any other advice greatly appreciated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm properly getting into this now that I'm looking at it as a flight simulator rather than 'my old haunts' flyover. 

 

I got the Switzerland mesh and flew over Wengen and the Jungfrau, where my wife used to go as a kid, and it was a really beautiful, serene flight. The most I've enjoyed the game so far, maybe because I've never been there so had no expectations other than my wife's fondness. I can understand why now. I kept on over the mountains into Italy for a good half hour and just about touched down on a little grass 'runway', my first proper landing. I can't remember the name of the plane I took out but it got to 20k feet without too much difficulty and it's a rather different game at that altitude. 

 

I'm mostly on medium, but I think it's time to turn off the rest of the assists and start to properly learn the ropes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How much is that mesh? I flew over Wengen and Lauterbrunen etc. the other day, an area I’ve been to a few times, and it looked awful, with the satellite maps just ridiculously distorted across the peaks and valleys.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jonamok said:

How much is that mesh? I flew over Wengen and Lauterbrunen etc. the other day, an area I’ve been to a few times, and it looked awful, with the satellite maps just ridiculously distorted across the peaks and valleys.
 

 

The next World Update is for Germany, Austria, and Switzerland so it might be worth looking at that first. It's released in three or four weeks... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Spent the evening yesterday on that Scotland discovery flight, just gorgeous and so relaxing, I love that little plane, great fun landing it in the water and taking off again, and again.

 

Later I’m planning on learning how to program cruise speeds and descents etc into jets, does Squirrel have any vids about this, or any other advice greatly appreciated. 


He had a CJ4 vid doing a flight in Japan that was very useful. Main problem I can see with the Xbox version is you won’t have access to the brilliant Working Title mod that makes a whole host of improvements to the base plane (particularly adding proper VNAV support for descents). Working Title are now onboard as a first party team though so hopefully those improvements will make their way to Xbox. 
 


Been reacquainting myself with the CJ4 over last couple of days, doing a lot of IFR flying using SimBrief for flight planning. The mod allows you to import directly from SimBrief but it’s actually more immersive to manually add your flight plan in to the flight computer. Worth trying out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, jonamok said:

How much is that mesh? I flew over Wengen and Lauterbrunen etc. the other day, an area I’ve been to a few times, and it looked awful, with the satellite maps just ridiculously distorted across the peaks and valleys.
 

 

I can't remember but around a fiver from memory. Glad to hear that there will be further world updates very soon, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, if people want to try some IFR flying, particularly instrument approaches, I heartily recommend avoiding ATC a until you’re very comfortable with the autopilot systems. ATC has a nasty habit of suddenly changing your final approach during the arrival phase and it can throw you in to a total panic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spanx said:


He had a CJ4 vid doing a flight in Japan that was very useful. Main problem I can see with the Xbox version is you won’t have access to the brilliant Working Title mod that makes a whole host of improvements to the base plane (particularly adding proper VNAV support for descents). Working Title are now onboard as a first party team though so hopefully those improvements will make their way to Xbox. 
 


Been reacquainting myself with the CJ4 over last couple of days, doing a lot of IFR flying using SimBrief for flight planning. The mod allows you to import directly from SimBrief but it’s actually more immersive to manually add your flight plan in to the flight computer. Worth trying out. 

Yeah I really like the CJ4 it’s seems capable of some pretty steep ascents! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So here I am at work looking at some, rather quite gnarly looking, clouds again. Can’t wait to fly around in those later. 
 

Had the most amazing flight last night around 9pm Liverpool to Dublin and it was pretty dark and cloudy, that was until I broke through the cloud cover at about 8,000 ft, to be greeted by the most gorgeous sunset turning all the clouds pink :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

So here I am at work looking at some, rather quite gnarly looking, clouds again. Can’t wait to fly around in those later. 
 

Had the most amazing flight last night around 9pm Liverpool to Dublin and it was pretty dark and cloudy, that was until I broke through the cloud cover at about 8,000 ft, to be greeted by the most gorgeous sunset turning all the clouds pink :wub:

 

I'm doing that with the weather as well. Went out for lunch yesterday and was just staring at the sky planning a flight. This is new.

 

In the weather settings, if you increase the amount of aerosol it makes the sky look even better. Just adding a touch of lightning for the occasional flash of drama and rumble of thunder is incredibly, uh, atmospheric.

 

Discovered that if you leave it on pause time continues, so a flight you started in the morning will now be at night if you pause it all day. Love that.

 

Slowly removing the stabilisers and learning to fly properly is pretty much one of the most exhilarating, exciting and hilarious experiences I've had in a game.

 

Love it.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Slowly removing the stabilisers and learning to fly properly is pretty much one of the most exhilarating, exciting and hilarious experiences I've had in a game.


Good news is those experiences never stop. Every time you think you’ve got it cracked, you realise you just opened up a whole new world of learning. It’s why I’ve happily invested a lot of time and money in to it. 
 

My dream is VR, if they can crack it properly by being able to use VR controllers to interact properly with the various switches and knobs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I have never flown a jet and have never been above the clouds in almost a year of playing this. 

 

There, I've said it.

 

Think I'll be the same. Always preferred driving Minis and lower powered cars in racing games, and never really got on with how demanding, say, Wipeout gets when you open the Rapier class.

 

@spanx Yep I can see it being truly endless and as deep as you want it to be. Removing the unlimited fuel has certainly given flights over cities an edge.

 

Watching the news today and the wildfires in Turkey - be amazing if that could somehow be added.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

 

Think I'll be the same. Always preferred driving Minis and lower powered cars in racing games, and never really got on with how demanding, say, Wipeout gets when you open the Rapier class.

 

@spanx Yep I can see it being truly endless and as deep as you want it to be. Removing the unlimited fuel has certainly given flights over cities an edge.

 

Watching the news today and the wildfires in Turkey - be amazing if that could somehow be added.

 

I imagine it would be something similar to last year's fires in western USA. No actual fires but you couldn't see a bloody thing. Landed at Seattle using instruments only is rather dodgy. Wasn't a great time to attempt the AsoboHQ to Microsoft HQ achievement but I managed it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Think I'll be the same. Always preferred driving Minis and lower powered cars in racing games, and never really got on with how demanding, say, Wipeout gets when you open the Rapier class.

 

Ha, I am exactly the same with racing games. I MUCH prefer the slower, regular cars to the jazzy hypercars and so on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thinking about one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controller-Keyboard-Wireless-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B094MSB7FX/ref=asc_df_B094MSB7FX?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=79920843863898&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520396628015&psc=1

I have one already that fits a PS4 controller. I might try and pair it up to see how it goes. Mine has rubber keys which aren’t too great ,maybe this would be better

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Phew. 2 hours 11 minutes and I’m at St Mary’s  in the Isles of Scilly.

managed to manually land. It really helps to know the orientation of the runway before you exit the flight planner and go on your journey.

I also managed to taxi over to the fuel place and request a fuel truck which then came out and gave me some juice.

It’s a shame there’s so much cloud cover today but at least the landing section was clear.


I’m playing this is full on sim mode with absolutely everything turned off like waypoints and Auto this that , apart from AI radio communications which are handy.

 

Managed to unlock the Look Ma No Hands! And Wheels Up Wheels Down achievements.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How do you start talking to Air Traffic control from a parking space? I would really like to take off properly by being ordered to a runway, etc. Many of you are describing great, immersive experiences that I don’t know how to get going. I can spawn my plane in the parking spot, but then what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

How do you start talking to Air Traffic control from a parking space? I would really like to take off properly by being ordered to a runway, etc. Many of you are describing great, immersive experiences that I don’t know how to get going. I can spawn my plane in the parking spot, but then what?


You click on the ATC tower from the main menu bar when you click the left stick. From then on you will see some options and you can tune in, ask for take off clearance etc. Don’t forget to turn on the landing help and taxi by clicking on the flight assistant (from the same menu bar). You will see guiding lines so you can follow to the correct taxi lane etc. Also turn on objectives and you can get general help on when to release the brakes etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

How do you start talking to Air Traffic control from a parking space? I would really like to take off properly by being ordered to a runway, etc. Many of you are describing great, immersive experiences that I don’t know how to get going. I can spawn my plane in the parking spot, but then what?

Click the left stick and select ATC from the top.

By the way you can in the flight planner assign yourself a call sign and the text to speech will read it out on radio chatter :)

 

Basically it’s multiple choice question and answering and quite intuitive. The hardest thing is they will tell you to go here and there and you’ll have no idea what end of the runway or what gate you need without really looking hard. Most of it is quite procedural.

 

Worth noting they kept telling me to taxi to the runway, only till I crossed the threshold of the (correct for a change) runway would the clearance for take off options present themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.