Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

I made this. Might help people plan a button map

These are the default controls. There’s a lot of space available to map stuff which is cool.

632AB847-83DE-4390-A809-39B0E66E7D75.thumb.jpeg.38341e23705a21fed2d9d8f4163ced73.jpeg

Also there is an option in General Options>‘camera> Freelook Momentum which adjusts the amount of travel on the camera stick which is great because no I don’t over shoot the controls in the cockpit when zoomed in.

Toggle Drone Camera to LB + Select View button makes sense but doesn’t work. It’s going to be like programming this is…

6 hours ago, pinholestar said:

😮 This is amazing, thank you!

In the space of a few short days this has turned me into a complete aviation nerd. I watched a 35 minute video last night of a commercial pilot taxiing and taking off an A330 from San Francisco and not only was I completely enraptured by the whole thing but found myself also sagely nodding along at their pre-flight checks, admiring their smooth rudder control and just marvelling at the fact that I could understand (in a basic fashion) what the avionics displays were actually saying when a week ago I wouldn’t have understood a single damn thing.

Calling it a glorified Bing Maps is doing it a massive disservice really because there’s literally years of ‘game’ to be had in learning the intricacies and subtleties of all the different planes, let alone the huge amount of acronyms, nomenclature, concepts and procedures that make up the act of flying. It’s like having a vast new landscape opened up to you in more ways than one.

I absolutely fucking love it and getting it running like a dream on a console is a thing of wonder. It’s an astonishing achievement all round.

It’s a rabbit hole alreight. I check metar before I usually fly (or at least when I used to fly) as a passenger. Now get yourself some gliding  lessons which I did years ago which blows flight sim out of the water.  Then I found myself sat in a BA cadet interview day many years ago  aged 35 by far the oldest one there and only missed making the final stage after missing a maths test mark by a couple of points. Then again knowing several BA pilots in furlough still or people who have paid £130000 to get their full commercial license which no job after years of hunting I’m not that gutted I never went down this route. 

Went for a tour round Glasgow. Amazing how easy it is to navigate even with the generic buildings - although Celtic Park looks melted and I couldn't find Ibrox.

Give us a Scottish photogrammetry city, Asobo!

does anyone have tips for taxiing? after landing, I go slow and use the left/right rudder to steer and the Cessna always just veers completely off course. I've still not once properly completed a landing, because I always slowly veer into a building and then become permanently stuck

2 hours ago, stan said:

does anyone have tips for taxiing? after landing, I go slow and use the left/right rudder to steer and the Cessna always just veers completely off course. I've still not once properly completed a landing, because I always slowly veer into a building and then become permanently stuck

I think it’s a bit broken on the pad tbh, sometimes the plane will turn no matter what I do.

With steering, might be worth checking you’ve adjusted the sensitivity. You want a bit of a curve on that axis to make the initial movement a bit less twitchy. 

Also there is a nose wheel steering axis, I have both that and the rudder axis assigned to the twist on my flight stick. Not sure if that’s done by default. 

Yeah I think it is, I think taxiing is just harder than it looks, getting the speed right for example is tricky, I’ll sometimes grind to a halt and then have to increase the throttle but there’s a delay in actually moving and then I go too fast. And if you accidentally go on grass 😬

6 minutes ago, BarryL85 said:

Anybody tried the flight training on Xbox? It seems all kinds of broken for me. 

Doing what it tells me and it just ignoring that i've done it.

Did the first lot again last night and managed to get A on all of them apart from the last one where there is a turn from North to South and climb to 6,000.

I swear to fecking god I had a perfectly awesome flight worthy of a low A but it was barely a B. Not sure what you else you expect me to do flight simulator ! What is it you want from me! I’m on a god damn controller!

25 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Did the first lot again last night and managed to get A on all of them apart from the last one where there is a turn from North to South and climb to 6,000.

I swear to fecking god I had a perfectly awesome flight worthy of a low A but it was barely a B. Not sure what you else you expect me to do flight simulator ! What is it you want from me! I’m on a god damn controller!

It just doesn't work at all for me. On the first one after I have done everything it stops giving me any instructions after telling me to play about with the camera again. Then on the basic flight controls one it asks me to pitch using the left analogue stick to lift the plane and it refuses to recognise that I am doing it even though on screen and in game I am actually doing it. So confusing.

3 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Tbh whilst they help familiarising you with the controls they are very limited really, the airliner ones are beyond basic compared to even the, err, basic lessons, and you really don’t learn a lot about those aircraft. 

I recommend the Rijeka to Santorini Bush Trip. It's pretty easy to navigate as the plane has a GPS screen -whioe still being a bit more involved than just following the waypoints - and the scenery is beautiful.

39 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I recommend the Rijeka to Santorini Bush Trip. It's pretty easy to navigate as the plane has a GPS screen -whioe still being a bit more involved than just following the waypoints - and the scenery is beautiful.

First one I did. It’s glorious. 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Will give it a go, I’m getting too confused with working a 747! 

16 hours ago, deerokus said:

I'm three stops into this after reading your post, it really is lovely.  I'm also enjoying using the autopilot to help navigate between each waypoint after watching one of Squirrel's excellent tutorials on it yesterday.

14 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I'm three stops into this after reading your post, it really is lovely.  I'm also enjoying using the autopilot to help navigate between each waypoint after watching one of Squirrel's excellent tutorials on it yesterday.

A link for that tutorial please?

I setup everything on xbox like Squirrel said but im having a few problems - some planes just want to keep climbing, constantly flighting to keep the nose down. (Twin prop c4..?)

Others keep banking hard left while on the ground / as soon as i take off (the small biplane / stunt plane)

If I set everything back to easy this seems to go away. 

17 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

There’s a Pyrenees bush trip that also uses a g1000 equipped plane (can’t remember if it’s the Cessna or the DA-42) that is also fabulous, although a bit more challenging. It has an absolute sod of a landing about half way through. Fun though. 

1 minute ago, fattakin said:

I setup everything on xbox like Squirrel said but im having a few problems - some planes just want to keep climbing, constantly flighting to keep the nose down. (Twin prop c4..?)

Others keep banking hard left while on the ground / as soon as i take off (the small biplane / stunt plane)

Cut back on the throttle if you keep climbing even after trimming the plane, power, attitude, trim :)

2 minutes ago, fattakin said:

With the more powerful planes you often have to reduce the power a bit after take off; climbing is typically done at 80% power maybe?

Just now, spanx said:

With the more powerful planes you often have to reduce the power a bit after take off; climbing is typically done at 80% power maybe?

The twin prop did it the entire flight, no matter what i had the engine speed at. I may have missed something but mate had same settings and issue.  

Had a lot of fun on Multiplayer on this last night, just flying around Northern Ireland, local airports - taking off and picking a airport to land at and seeing who could stick the landing. Some harily small airports in the mourne mountains. Its just a delight and surprisingly fun in multiplayer. Especially when trying to land a cessna and someone is divebombing in an airbus. 

21 minutes ago, fattakin said:

Banking is the effect of the prop at low speeds. Twist the rudder to counteract.

3 minutes ago, footle said:

Banking is the effect of the prop at low speeds. Twist the rudder to counteract.

Yep i know, ive done the tutorials!  This is a comical left 90 degress turn and crash i wasn't having before trying squirrells settings. I'll maybe go back and add them slowly and see whats causing it.