Jump to content

Microsoft Flight Simulator


tronied
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, spanx said:


You have to be careful with VOR navigation. You don’t really navigate “to” a VOR in the same way as a Navaid or GPS fix, more you orient yourself on a radial to or from it. You really have to plan VOR flights carefully, often having to track two VORs to triangulate a position. 
 

Again, YouTube is your friend. 


Good advice. I’m on a holiday and spent most of my spare time watching flight sim videos! Hoping to be able to remember some of it when I get back to the game :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I found interesting today was that, when googling to find out info about British VOR stations, i found an article by the national air traffic service about how the UK network is basically getting reduced down to bare minimum as barely anyone uses it any more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've decided to fly my top rudder around famous racing circuits then try to land on them.

 

Silverstone - mostly pretty accurate except for the huge building and row of house in the middle of the pit straight. And the procedural building ai thing doesn't really understand stands very well. 

 

I tried to land on the old pit straight and crashed.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any PCers with beefy setups might want to check out some improvements to get get the visuals back to their pre Sim Update 5 best. 
 

Primarily, go to your /Users/aaa/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.FlightSimulator_…./LocalCache folder, edit the UserCfg.opts file, and knock the LoD values for objects/terrain up a bit (I tried 6, but too much, 5 should be better)

 

Looks like the default 1-200 range for LoD was downgraded a bit to run nicely on Xbox, but they’ve not unlocked upping it more via the settings UI. I now have much much less pop in in the distance and blurry textures at higher altitude. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Do you think it's possible they will work on regional accents for the air traffic control conversations? I noticed the other day when I lost my internet connection, that a notification came up saying that Azure could no longer handle text to speech until the connection was back. I am guessing in that case, that Azure could potentially do accents for some extra authenticity? I'm sure it would be low down on their list of to-do's, but would be nice to have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found this pretty useful for understanding the autopilot in the a320. With that and the 747 I've mostly just been poking buttons at random until it seems to do roughly the right thing. The 747 one seems a lot simpler to work out by randomly hitting buttons mind, I couldn't get the Airbus to climb no matter what I did.

 

 

 

I feel like Airbus need some user interface experts to look at their automation systems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone tried the Bush Trips?

I briefly tried one a few days ago but got distracted and just started doing stupid stuff.

So last night I tried a different one and it spawns me inside a bush so I die on take off.

 I tried the Finland one and go to the first runway and stupidly rolled plane. I thought I’ll try that again tomorrow….

Now it’s spawning me in the middle of the sea and I die after 3 seconds.

 

They is broke!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did the Denmark one yesterday, mostly as a way to play wth the Autopilot on the Cessna 172. it worked fine, but wasn;t exactly bush flying.

 

Earlier, I'd flown over nottingham as part of my casual tour of the UK and it seemed that the terrain engine had almost totally failed to put 3d buldings there. mostly just a 2d texture which is odd compared to even the non-photogrammetry cities i;ve flown over up to now. affected both houses and industrial buildings...ww.thumb.jpg.5cb333d8c0927a9145d71ff94d709ca1.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone else on Xbox unable to buy anything from the marketplace? I always get an immediate "purchase failed" notification despite having several payment options set up as well as credit in my account. I have googled it but all the results are from people using the PC so haven't been any help. Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, SteveH said:

Anyone else on Xbox unable to buy anything from the marketplace? I always get an immediate "purchase failed" notification despite having several payment options set up as well as credit in my account. I have googled it but all the results are from people using the PC so haven't been any help. Cheers

 

I have had this a couple of times when resuming a session in the game after closing down the console with it open - quitting and restarting the app from fresh fixed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Gotters said:

 

I have had this a couple of times when resuming a session in the game after closing down the console with it open - quitting and restarting the app from fresh fixed it.

I had to do that but also restart my console. I'd tried closing and restarting the game but it hadn't helped. 

It's still kind of broken though, as this time it takes me to the "buy" screen but then says purchase failed. Then 5 minutes later says purchase successful. Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, deerokus said:

Yeah, just click on the map where you want to go

 

Is that during a flight or when you're planning it? I can pick a destination when planning and I see the flight path in the in-cockpit GPS, but I don't get a marker in the world.

 

This is where you tell me you can bring up a map in flight and I'm just being daft. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Nosejam said:


I haven’t tried this myself yet but from watching a few videos you may need to press the CDI button (centre bottom on G1000) to change from GPS mode (magenta arrows on the compass nav thing) to VOR1 or LOC1 (Green arrows) this will then direct you to your VOR waypoints. The frequency of the VOR should be shown in the upper left along with its name (if they are in your flight plan)

 

This is one of the things I am having difficulty grasping my head around for some reason and Squirrel's tutorial really doesn't provide information around it. He also goes into a straight flight path so I don't understand how to set up the auto pilot to follow my custom waypoints. 

 

Is there any tutorial more specific on how to use CDI heading and auto pilot?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mogster said:

Is that during a flight or when you're planning it? I can pick a destination when planning and I see the flight path in the in-cockpit GPS, but I don't get a marker in the world.

 

This is where you tell me you can bring up a map in flight and I'm just being daft. :D

When planning it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

 

This is one of the things I am having difficulty grasping my head around for some reason and Squirrel's tutorial really doesn't provide information around it. He also goes into a straight flight path so I don't understand how to set up the auto pilot to follow my custom waypoints. 

 

Is there any tutorial more specific on how to use CDI heading and auto pilot?

 

If you've set a series of custom waypoints in your flight plan then it sounds like you just need to press the NAV key (on the panel to the left of the screen) to activate that mode in autopilot and make sure you have the correct submode selected via the CDI softkey below the compass rose.

 

The NAV section in the following guide should explain it:

 

https://guides.gamepressure.com/microsoft-flight-simulator/guide.asp?ID=55607

 

If you really want to learn how it all works then the 478 page manual for the G1000 makes for delightful bedtime reading: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-02177-00_A.pdf

 

As well as Squirrel's good introduction autopilot tutorial I found the following helped to flesh out my understanding a little more:

 

Spoiler

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

 

If you've set a series of custom waypoints in your flight plan then it sounds like you just need to press the NAV key (on the panel to the left of the screen) to activate that mode in autopilot and make sure you have the correct submode selected via the CDI softkey below the compass rose.

 

The NAV section in the following guide should explain it:

 

https://guides.gamepressure.com/microsoft-flight-simulator/guide.asp?ID=55607

 

If you really want to learn how it all works then the 478 page manual for the G1000 makes for delightful bedtime reading: http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-02177-00_A.pdf

 

As well as Squirrel's good introduction autopilot tutorial I found the following helped to flesh out my understanding a little more:

 

  Hide contents

 

 

 

 

 


Thanks a bunch :). Will start checking them soon, as there’s so many different ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just managed my first "proper" flight - I just hadn't gotten around to it until now.

 

"Proper" as in start in taxi, take off, land, and taxi to park. Had a lunch break at work just now and flew from London City to Heathrow, a nice short distance so enough time to actually do a full end to end.

 

Quite a sense of achievement which I'm sure many of you have done, but the thing I find most difficult with the controller is setting the throttle. Having no idea how much "a" or "b" to push to get is difficult, that I wonder if there's any kind of peripheral you can get that just does throttle. As nice as a full HOTAS would be, just a throttle would get you so much further I think as the joypad has no "slider" type control, which now I think about it feels conspicuously absent on modern day joypads.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Just managed my first "proper" flight - I just hadn't gotten around to it until now.

 

"Proper" as in start in taxi, take off, land, and taxi to park. Had a lunch break at work just now and flew from London City to Heathrow, a nice short distance so enough time to actually do a full end to end.

 

Quite a sense of achievement which I'm sure many of you have done, but the thing I find most difficult with the controller is setting the throttle. Having no idea how much "a" or "b" to push to get is difficult, that I wonder if there's any kind of peripheral you can get that just does throttle. As nice as a full HOTAS would be, just a throttle would get you so much further I think as the joypad has no "slider" type control, which now I think about it feels conspicuously absent on modern day joypads.

 

 

Honestly you’d be better off with both, they’re just impossible to come by right now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I supposed to be seeing other aircraft while flying using the world map to choose my departure spots? I've mainly been taking off from Manchester where I live to do the obligatory fly over my home flight, but have yet to see any other planes. I have live weather on and live traffic, but other players turned off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SteveH said:

I had to do that but also restart my console. I'd tried closing and restarting the game but it hadn't helped. 

It's still kind of broken though, as this time it takes me to the "buy" screen but then says purchase failed. Then 5 minutes later says purchase successful. Cheers

Yeah, when I went to buy the... damn it, why can I never remember the name?... the slow seat with a wing on it, at first it kinda did nothing when I clicked buy and download. I left it a day and it worked. Really not sure if it was anything my end or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GDI. I bought one of those cheap bluetooth M&KB packs with the little receiver in the foolish hope it's work on the Series X. It does not work :( 

Mind you, the keyboard doesn't work on my Mac or Windows partition either. Oh well. Back to the shop it goes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

 

This is one of the things I am having difficulty grasping my head around for some reason and Squirrel's tutorial really doesn't provide information around it. He also goes into a straight flight path so I don't understand how to set up the auto pilot to follow my custom waypoints. 

 

Is there any tutorial more specific on how to use CDI heading and auto pilot?

 

I wish you could be a copilot in the game... just pair up and help someone get up to speed. I'd probably get you running in 5 minutes if I could do that.

 

Which is really helpful I realise

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, spanx said:

 

I wish you could be a copilot in the game... just pair up and help someone get up to speed. I'd probably get you running in 5 minutes if I could do that.

 

Which is really helpful I realise


That would be great. Hopefully it will happen at some point. For a game so close to realism it has an embarrassing lack of guides or ways to receive help in game. Having someone as a digital instructor seems such  a missed opportunity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My controller keyboard turned up.

it came with a little dongle and has clicky buttons NOT the spongy rubber things I have on my PS4 one.

seems really responsive.

I also got my brand new Logitech MX Master 3 paired to a dongle it came with (‘on Mac) and it now works on Xbox.

Time to map the controls….

E0AF62E0-9029-468F-B2CE-A7E9FAF92315.thumb.jpeg.071763f3d2e2d8c19f41884f51e3f57c.jpeg
I’m thinking maybe I’ll use the numbers for 10%-20%-30% etc… throttle.

It has a shift key I could then use for mixture in the same way I guess.

It doesn’t have any CTRL or ALT key though.

7DCD910F-7ABB-4E31-81E5-25B5C779A51F.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

we getting into a familiar process now in the evening when we see somewhere on a tv show and my other half requests we go for a flyby.

 

last night it was Amsterdam and then the Vegas strip (which looked brilliant with all the hotels well modelled and even having big residency billboards legible).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.