Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

Seems completely fucked for me now after this update. Trying any plane to fly and on the runway the throttle starts increasing on it's own and won't respond to the controller. Plane wants to turn left all the time and the tail rudder won't respond either. 

Could be related to what @deerokusmentions? Bugger!

45 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Seems completely fucked for me now after this update. Trying any plane to fly and on the runway the throttle starts increasing on it's own and won't respond to the controller. Plane wants to turn left all the time and the tail rudder won't respond either. 

Could be related to what @deerokusmentions? Bugger!

See if anything’s weird with sensitivities in the controls. Put everything on default again. There has been issues with planes pulling left and right too much on a runway since the PC launch. 

But it also may be the wind.😬

6 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

See if anything’s weird with sensitivities in the controls. Put everything on default again. There has been issues with planes pulling left and right too much on a runway since the PC launch. 

But it also may be the wind.😬

It seems to be while on the ground only. From the exterior view you can see that the rudder won't move and you can't reduce the throttle either. If you actually manage to get off the ground (not easy) then suddenly everything works as it should!

I’ve gotten to grips with the G1000 system today.

Me and mate took off from an airfield in South Carolina and I talked him through the steps of programming in a nav point  and setting up and approach for an ILS landing to a completely random picked out airport.

My landing couldn’t have been smoother. Pretty satisfying.

I’m finding the ATC a bit hit and miss, no ground services at some places, and one of them wouldn’t even register that I wanted to land. Maybe it wasn’t manned but it was a reasonably size airport.

On 07/08/2021 at 14:28, Talk Show Host said:

Does anyone have issues with the autopilot going haywire at random points? For example, everything going ok and then the plane suddenly turns left completely for no reason.

I have seen some complaints about it but not sure if it has something to do with the full realism settings in using or control sensitivity etc. I’m flying the Diamond DN40.

Yeah sometimes it does weird shit but then I remind myself what a monumental achievement it is and slap myself. It’s fucking mental how good this is. Yesterday I did a Cessna job from my old flat in EK to Edinburgh via Hamilton along the M8 and was thinking about how it just shouldn’t be possible at that macro level. It’s insane.

just did a 2hour 30 minutes flight from Norwich to Edinburgh. Zero visibility for more than half of it. Some beautiful breaks in the cloud. Lots of lighting and rain up north. Low cloud in Scotland. ILS lined me up superbly but I nearly hit a mountain on the way there. I could kinda see a dim outline of a tree coming towards me so had to throttle up hard and pull up.

Loads of ATC problems today too. 

Giving the A320 a stretch today, from Tunisia over to Tel Aviv. Having ongoing pain with ATC not recognising my altitude - I AM AT 37,000ft mother fucker. 

That aside, a pretty beautifully executed departure, even started turning off the taxi ribbon now. 

32 minutes ago, spanx said:

Giving the A320 a stretch today, from Tunisia over to Tel Aviv. Having ongoing pain with ATC not recognising my altitude - I AM AT 37,000ft mother fucker. 

That aside, a pretty beautifully executed departure, even started turning off the taxi ribbon now. 

That's the weird weather/air pressure bug. It's fine if you don't use live weather.

Hard to say if it's worth that price but I figured since the immense achievement that is the base game was "free" with gamepass it was worth it. 

I would say that the typhoon and that little microlight top rudder thing fill specific gaps in the base game. 

The top rudder is great for flying close, low and slow if sightseeing is your thing. 

But the Typhoon gets you immense speed and altitude if you just want a bit of a rush. It's fun to do both. I don't think any other planes do quite what they do. But neither are probably that good for learning flying like the small Cessnas. 

I love flying the Cessna 172. Its just that bit quicker than the 155, so makes A to B's much easier without sacrificing the low speed to see what's happening.

Really enjoyed the landing challenges in the same plane, and trying really hard to get a near spot on landing on the Puru level (I think) in the same plane.

Playing this on an Series S (which I bought just to play this really) and while graphics aren't perfect at times, I cant see the Series X making much difference as the overall experience is still very immersive.

Cant' really ever imaging me landing a 747 or the larger planes but I think, for me, the beauty is thinking of somewhere I have been or would like to go, and fly about in a small plane, soaking everything up.

Money well spent imo. :)

1 hour ago, cowfields said:

the typhoon and that little microlight top rudder thing fill specific gaps in the base game.

Yeah. If you think you'll stick with the game, these two are good additions. I assume similar options will appear over time - personally, I'm hoping for my old favorite, the F-16. That said, I assume the F-18 is coming with the Top Gun dlc?

17 hours ago, tobert said:

Has anyone tried the Euro Fighter Typhoon? Is it worth the £16 from the marketplace?

I really enjoyed it. It's a rather different sensation to pootling along in the Cessna or flying at the high altitude in an Airbus or something. It feels 'arcadey' in comparison, and it's absolutely rapid. It'd be my choice to just pelt it across the map taking the big picture in, rather than inspecting the details. 

Tried a sortie with my friend last week - cross platform and once we eventually managed to get into a group together it worked pretty well. Flew to Glasgow (which isn't particularly well modelled to be honest) then up to Loch Lomond, then over past Inveraray and landed in Oban. It's pretty cool flying with others, although it's really easy to lose each other. Found that putting all lights and strobes on really helps.

0cb97884-7336-4e81-b666-ed603329b0c3_compress79.thumb.jpg.3639af06f7fb89c89737d8fdf7849f2d.jpg

077cdf03-b206-4527-9dee-3980878a1c18_compress29.thumb.jpg.30069133e70fbda06eb577f2c1a1994d.jpg

I have not played this since Wednesday because I have been staying with my parents. But I can't stop thinking about it and it's rare a game has its hooks in like that. 

I had a dream last night that some friends and I stole a Cessna to stop Brexit (I don't exactly know how). The important part is that I had convinced myself that the knowledge I've picked up in flight sim has given me real world skills that will enable me to fly and land a real plane. I guess this would be worrying if I actually did know how to get my hands on a Cessna. 

7 hours ago, cowfields said:

I had a dream last night that some friends and I stole a Cessna to stop Brexit (I don't exactly know how).

Presumably by going back in time, giving Farage a lift, and getting the job done this time.

I'm curious about something. I flew over my house yesterday (in Manchester) and disappointingly it looks bugger all like it, with generic buildings everywhere. I don't understand why they haven't used the technique Apple and Google use where they have built 3D buildings out of the aerial photographs, which look spot on. It would make a world of difference until they get around to doing more cities with photogrammetry. 

32 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I mean they do do that.

Oh really? I flew over Manchester, Stockport, Alderley Edge etc and it was just random blocks of buildings everywhere. Nothing looked remotely close to how it is. Unless it was having trouble streaming data?

Photgrammetry is used, but not for all cities.

In the UK, it's just London, Birmingham, Oxford, Cambridge, and Bristol. (plus a load of hand modelled landmarks around the whole country)

For everywhere else, it's the AI procedural stuff which is based on the 2d satellite photos and some other parameters, which can work very well, but often doesnt. (and sometimes fails totally, like Nottingham).

As to why all cities aren;t done that way, I'm guessing that there's either manual work that needs to be done to the photgrammetry data to make it useable in the game, or also that simply MS doesn;t have the data themselves (and won't / can't buy it from Google). Looking at those cities in Bing maps doesn;t have a 3d mode in the same way as google maps does.

The itch to get a HOTAS is getting hard to ignore. I saw Thrustmaster HOTAS One momentarily had a back in stock date on Amazon, and now is back to "who knows when". But you can just buy it anyway and hope for the best.

Is the TM HOTAS One still the best bet? The price feels right. 

There are some sexy options for over £100 but I don't think I want it that much. Any other models (that might be more likely to be in stock) worth thinking about?

Part of me questions whether a big stick is actually much better than a thumbstick, when what you really want is a yoke.

But then again, a HOTAS would breathe a bit of new life into Elite and Star Wars Squadrons so that helps the cost a bit. I think my enjoyment of SW Squadrons was actually limited by fighting with the controls.

10 minutes ago, cowfields said:

The itch to get a HOTAS is getting hard to ignore. I saw Thrustmaster HOTAS One momentarily had a back in stock date on Amazon, and now is back to "who knows when". But you can just buy it anyway and hope for the best.

Is the TM HOTAS One still the best bet? The price feels right. 

There are some sexy options for over £100 but I don't think I want it that much. Any other models (that might be more likely to be in stock) worth thinking about?

Part of me questions whether a big stick is actually much better than a thumbstick, when what you really want is a yoke.

But then again, a HOTAS would breathe a bit of new life into Elite and Star Wars Squadrons so that helps the cost a bit. I think my enjoyment of SW Squadrons was actually limited by fighting with the controls.

Big stick is still better than a thumbstick as you can be more precise with it. As to whether a yoke is better, It's just tradition at this point - pm full size airliners, Airbus use sticks, Boeing use yokes. 

I think the yoke was originally used because unboosted controls meant you needed the strength of both arms to pull on the elevator of a large aircraft, but in a fly-by-wire world, you might as well use a stick and have a better view of the instrumnents.