IGNORED

Microsoft Flight Simulator

tronied

I brought the Eurofighter typoon,  initial impressions:

The good:

+ Its rapid, very rapid

+ This allows me to see a lot more of world in a shorter amount of time (and seemingly go into space according to that video above!)

+ its quite different to all the other planes

The bad: 

-  it doesn't look anywhere near as good as the base planes, especially the cockpit which has one or two internal textures.  It clear its a mod built by another person/group/ company

- The flight model seems a little tricky; this might be to do with the high speeds but I found making turns to be a bit of a battle.  Plus is just blasts everywhere with the vertical speed yo-yoing between extreme speed down or extreme speed up with just a tiny adjustment of trim.  I have yet to find the vertical hold button

- The throttle control doesn't seem to work in-cock put, it would go between 85% - 100% but not any lower.

So overall a bit of a mixed bag but I will give it more time and I am sure my son will like trying to blast to the moon

This thing has 10 years of support and Bing maps data gets slowly better (and, arguably, is better than Google in some instances), but I don't know if everyone is going to be happy about their house. Earth is big.

edit - not trying to be dismissive, my general area isn't great either, and I wouldn't expect them to fix it specifically. That said, as a flight experience, I can totally navigate around by landmarks and road shapes, and I think that's the main thing. I've lived in this area over a decade and I still have to think about how to get around sometimes, but in the air I can just spot landmarks (water towers, big buildings, bridges over interstates, etc.) and I know exactly where I am. Perhaps I should sell my car and get a Cessna.

I do wonder what we'd be happy with, given the experience from high up is believable and the entire world is mapped.

3 hours ago, cowfields said:

The itch to get a HOTAS is getting hard to ignore. I saw Thrustmaster HOTAS One momentarily had a back in stock date on Amazon, and now is back to "who knows when". But you can just buy it anyway and hope for the best.

Is the TM HOTAS One still the best bet? The price feels right. 

There are some sexy options for over £100 but I don't think I want it that much. Any other models (that might be more likely to be in stock) worth thinking about?

Part of me questions whether a big stick is actually much better than a thumbstick, when what you really want is a yoke.

But then again, a HOTAS would breathe a bit of new life into Elite and Star Wars Squadrons so that helps the cost a bit. I think my enjoyment of SW Squadrons was actually limited by fighting with the controls.

At the moment the Hotas One is the only one that works on Xbox as far as I'm aware.

It's fine, you can definitely feel the relative cheapness in some areas (the throttle is quite loose and flappy) but I see no need for anything fancier. It works great for Squadrons fwiw.

There's a buddhist temple near me that in Flight Sim is rendered as a full-on, beautiful Korean temple with the tiered decorative roof. I actually went looking for it because it looked so cool as I couldn't remember ever seeing it. Got there - just Georgian terrace. So the AI must just see "Buddhist temple" and plonk a standard model on the map.

58 minutes ago, TehStu said:

Perhaps I should sell my car and get a Cessna.

We should all club together, pool some money and buy a forum-owned Cessna, we run it like a timeshare.

On the subject of house-modelling, I guess it'd be nice in theory but hard in practice if the community could help with modelling areas or at least correcting AI mistakes. So if it did a buddhist temple as a Georgian terraced house you could submit corrections and suggest an alternative texture set that might get it closer. Something that allows the community to improve it but not in a way that you keep seeing houses shaped like penises.

1 hour ago, TehStu said:

I do wonder what we'd be happy with, given the experience from high up is believable and the entire world is mapped.

I wonder how hard it is to mod in a few buildings. Make your own house in Sketchup or something!

4 hours ago, cowfields said:

The itch to get a HOTAS is getting hard to ignore. I saw Thrustmaster HOTAS One momentarily had a back in stock date on Amazon, and now is back to "who knows when". But you can just buy it anyway and hope for the best.

Is the TM HOTAS One still the best bet? The price feels right. 

There are some sexy options for over £100 but I don't think I want it that much. Any other models (that might be more likely to be in stock) worth thinking about?

Part of me questions whether a big stick is actually much better than a thumbstick, when what you really want is a yoke.

But then again, a HOTAS would breathe a bit of new life into Elite and Star Wars Squadrons so that helps the cost a bit. I think my enjoyment of SW Squadrons was actually limited by fighting with the controls.

I've been using the HOTAS One along with the pedals, and it works well. I just sit on the couch with it on my knee which isn't ideal but it works well enough. The pedals I feel are a bit overkill to be honest, and the whole thing feels a bit cheap and plasticky but it's much better than using the joypad.

I'm torn whether to keep the pedals or not at the moment, I keep finding myself using the yaw on the stick instead out of habit, and it's easy to forget you have yaw input on the pedals until you realise you are holding roll to fly straight and have to take your feet off to allow the pedals to re-center.

Quick Resume makes such a huge difference to this game. You can actually have a quick go without having to sit through several minutes of loading screens and idents.

I ran into a weird bug before, where if you fly over St James Park, you suddenly find thousands of feet in the air in an uncontrollable spin. The game must have been developed by Sunderland fans. 

5 hours ago, RFT said:

Big stick is still better than a thumbstick as you can be more precise with it. As to whether a yoke is better, It's just tradition at this point - pm full size airliners, Airbus use sticks, Boeing use yokes. 

I think the yoke was originally used because unboosted controls meant you needed the strength of both arms to pull on the elevator of a large aircraft, but in a fly-by-wire world, you might as well use a stick and have a better view of the instrumnents.

It’s more than that. The different flight control laws on an airbus mean that you aren’t necessarily directly inputting to the controls and everything is being interpreted by the computer first. If you input full right or left aileron for example an airbus might not give this to you so a stick is better as it inputs what you’d like. Boeing are now FBW but stick with a yoke as it’s their thing but their systems also work very differently. Full right is full aileron is still full aileron so is analogue to the yoke. Before the 777 boeing had been hydraulic for making time so it wasn’t about ease of control. Don’t forget that student pilots mostly learn on aircraft with a yoke so moving to a stick is often trickier for them. It’s also harder for pilots moving from the left seat to the captains seat on airbus as they need master left handed flying after getting used to the right hand side as first officer. It’s also a different thing when it comes to the filthiest leavers which move and are relatively connected on a Boeing and stay locked in climb mode on the airbus no matter what the thrust is set to. 

At the end of the day most big jets are only hand flown for the last 1000ft if so anyway. 

1 hour ago, Bangaio said:

It’s also a different thing when it comes to the filthiest leavers which move and are relatively connected on a Boeing

This took me a little while but I got there in the end. 

The whole Airbus vs Boeing Flight Control Strategy discussion is a good one. I think Airbus shade it for me (I hate yokes) but your point about the levers is totally valid. 

1 hour ago, Pockets said:

I’ve come up with the idea for a forum game - Drug Runner - if it’s possible to do and set up. Someone takes off from somewhere in Colombia and has to land in a small airfield in Florida - both unknown to the rest of us who have to take to the skies and track them down. 

Which reminds me (again) that I'm busting for this Deadstick game to come out, but I fear it's in development hell; no updates since an April one about splitting with their publisher.

2 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

This took me a little while but I got there in the end. 

The whole Airbus vs Boeing Flight Control Strategy discussion is a good one. I think Airbus shade it for me (I hate yokes) but your point about the levers is totally valid. 

Good old auto correct. Those leavers are filthy. I’m an airbus fan over Boeing as a passenger and technology geek. I know some pilots who fly both and have flown types from both manufactures and they’re often not massively fussed. 

Has anyone done the VFR training on the Xbox.  I can't seem to get the trainer to recognise what I'm doing on the second part (Dead reckoning) you are supposed to fly ofver the centre of the runway at Sedona and then take a 41 degree course over to Munds golf course.  I do that, but there's no prompts or anything to say I've hit either point.  I've flown back and forthe between the gold course now about 6 times and I just can't get it to recognise this fact ?!

2 hours ago, CurryKitten said:

Has anyone done the VFR training on the Xbox.  I can't seem to get the trainer to recognise what I'm doing on the second part (Dead reckoning) you are supposed to fly ofver the centre of the runway at Sedona and then take a 41 degree course over to Munds golf course.  I do that, but there's no prompts or anything to say I've hit either point.  I've flown back and forthe between the gold course now about 6 times and I just can't get it to recognise this fact ?!

That must be a new bug as I did that one the other day and you definitely should see a marker appear once you are close enough to the golf club. 

6 hours ago, CurryKitten said:

I remember it requiring me to be pretty accurate with altitude and heading etc, and to be almost dead centre over the  runway. Tbh I wouldn’t worry too much, as long as you understood what the lesson was trying to teach you - there are no achievements for completing any of the training. 

There are definitely issues taxiing with live weather aren’t there, I could not turn my Cessna at all yesterday and it’s pretty frustrating just driving off a runway into a field or wherever. 

Had a nice flight from Mexico City to Puerto Escondido, stunning scenery, went through a thunderstorm.. then could not work out how to do an approach in a320 and landing at a VOR DME airport so kept circling and even had to to do a go-around.

Eventually the game got fed up of my faffing and quit to dashboard!

Cessnas are a bit easier...

21 hours ago, CurryKitten said:

I had loads of problems with the training, I quit the game, reset the Xbox and it worked perfectly

This evening’s project was a success… StreamDeck iPad app plus AxisAndOhs software plus dev mode pissing about and coding some scripts

Result, I can now control a whole heap of buttons in the A320 without needing a mouse. Just done a few start up actions to get an understanding, but next mission is to combine this with my dial box to have a workable setup. 

0992B7F8-2F48-449F-A643-33AE73792C70.jpeg

1 hour ago, spanx said:

This evening’s project was a success… StreamDeck iPad app plus AxisAndOhs software plus dev mode pissing about and coding some scripts

Result, I can now control a whole heap of buttons in the A320 without needing a mouse. Just done a few start up actions to get an understanding, but next mission is to combine this with my dial box to have a workable setup. 

0992B7F8-2F48-449F-A643-33AE73792C70.jpeg

Another step closer...

Spoiler

5cbd20be1054c6c369b3dc7f1c3fb66d.jpg.dcb965bbedaddb0f92f2e61aa9ced36f.thumb.jpg.6d0ed0979c5cc0a29f69ba2de6d7e0a2.jpg

18 minutes ago, layten said:

Another step closer...

Hide contents

5cbd20be1054c6c369b3dc7f1c3fb66d.jpg.dcb965bbedaddb0f92f2e61aa9ced36f.thumb.jpg.6d0ed0979c5cc0a29f69ba2de6d7e0a2.jpg

Got an arduino coming tomorrow so I can reconfigure my dial box, so more tinkering imminent. 

Never though MSFS would cause me to have to sod about with Reverse Polish Notation. 

1 hour ago, Harrisown said:

F7BA6207-31A1-4009-A0BE-DF1AE1A8BE58.thumb.png.dd5254283a69933cfd27f8acdc37504b.png
0B63392D-0875-4D38-B5F5-1D037C77735F.thumb.png.bbd72d92f07600faa3a2028db4d0930f.png

0A31D03A-274D-49B2-A8D5-E20910759DAA.thumb.png.28a2a89ac7249a29c600a4c8322a4f2f.png

yhis game isn’t using ray tracing is it. Certainly not on a Series S….doesn’t need it.

No ray tracing on any platform, I think they might add it eventually on PC but you'll need a ridiculous system to do it.

40 minutes ago, spatular said:

whats the deal with the discovery flights, are there supposed to be directions? I probably disabled a window with the directions on or something.

Open the Navlog (click left-stick and it's the compass needle icon along the top) and each waypoint will have a description and directions to guide you along the route.