Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

Full Reveal:

So it’s apparently not related to the MCU but judging from that trailer the only thing they couldn’t use were the official likenesses. They’re in this very odd place where the characters look so similar that they’re like cheap knock-offs and the whole thing feels like one of those weird fan movies. 

Maybe they should just embrace it and call it Revengers. 

(Apologies if there’s another thread, I couldn’t find it with search). 

It's it's a shame they couldn't use the mcu actors for likeness and voices but I guess it would have cost a fortune. They are so ingrained in us now that is difficult to see these characters and them not be Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans etc

I think it will be good though and I'm really looking forward to it.

Also, poor Hawkeye.

2 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

It's it's a shame they couldn't use the mcu actors for likeness and voices but I guess it would have cost a fortune. They are so ingrained in us now that is difficult to see these characters and them not be Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans etc

The problem is that they are making a huge effort to kinda look like the famous MCU actors. That's why it looks cheap and wrong. If they had done like they themselves said, and created their own take on these characters - or even based their visual design more on the original comics - it wouldn't look like off-brand MCU.

• Upvote 4
7 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The trailer doesn’t bear much resemblance to the actual description of the game they’ve released which is basically I Can’t Believe It’s Not Destiny.

How is the market for Destiny-likes nowadays anyway? From the outside looking in, it felt like we're just past the ol' WoW times, or DOTA2 times with the Destiny genre - when every publisher is trying to get a piece of the latest, greatest profitable hype pie. In those older examples, the pie always turned out to be much smaller than anticipated. With Anthem crashing and burning, Division 2 apparently losing masses of players, and the big daddy Destiny not being profitable enough for a big publisher to want to invest time and money into, is now the right time to jump in with a cheap looking Marvel Destiny? It's probably the perfect time since it's Squeenix

Yeah especially as they’ve chosen great game voice actors, which is an interesting take alongside the celebrities everyone else is going for. But the character models are so bland that they still seem like really dull versions of those people.

I get why they've gone with those character models though. If they went off the Avengers name and the characters looked nothing like the MCU ones then a lot of casuals might not even give it a second look. I think having them use their slighty off likeness is a smart move PR wise. More people will be interested if they see a game that looks part of the MCU.

I highly recommend going back and watching the actual reveal during the press conference. One of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen. They tell us which avengers we’ll be playing as with dramatic pauses between each one and then get the voice actors to tell us about each Avenger in case we don’t know who they are. 

@Harsin I already made that joke in the OP. :quote:

• Empathy 1

For some reason I can't copy and paste the text of actual game details.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/marvels-avengers-unveiled-w-trailer-details-inside-may-15-2020-story-driven-4-player-co-op-gaas-eidos-x-crystal-dynamics-ps4-x1-pc-stadia.122351/

But they've gone so far following the Destiny formula that they decided to to copy fucking over Xbox owners with 'Unique benefits for PlayStation players'.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The problem is that they are making a huge effort to kinda look like the famous MCU actors.

Yeah, I've always thought that Chris Hemsworth's Thor looked kinda like a cross between Barry Gibb and Jesus :unsure:

edit: It seems that Peter Sutcliffe is hiding in that otherwise-not-bad Iron Man suit as well :lol: 

• Upvote 2

My first assumption (hope!) for the character doing the narration was Kamala Khan/Ms Marvel.

And in that Resetera thread, they say that the Brazilian version of the trailer uses the actors who dub the MCU movies - and that it's narrated by the woman who voices Kamala in the Marvel Rising cartoon.

It's embiggening time! :omg:

I thought that they were going to tie this in with the Spiderman PS4 game in some way? The Avengers tower appears in that game and there are so many references to other Marvel characters it had the feeling of the beginnings of an MGU (see what I did there!).

While I'd have loved them to get the movie versions of the characters, I'm not getting this likeness criticism. You're never going to get away from the characters looking somewhat like the MCU guys, because that's essentially what these characters look like. Tony here looks like a version of Tony you'd find elsewhere (I'm not seeing this 'close likeness' others are. To me it looks nothing like RDJ save the beard). You don't point at the comics and say "They're obviously trying to do an RDJ here but it's just a bit off, and therefore rubbish".

• Upvote 2

I didn’t expect the characters to look like MCU ones, but they absolutely have gone for the cheap knock off look. Black widow usually wears black leather but that outfit is just like the movie one. Ditto Cap, who looks nothing like any comic version I’ve ever seen but has an identical costume to movie cap. I’ve never seen the thing where Tony’s reactor is glowing through a shirt expect in the MCU and this. Thor has appeared with many outfits and that one is just the movie one. Combined with realistic graphics with no stylisation (which is what really differentiates the non movie versions), it just looks like you’re playing a game as the MCU actor’s stunt doubles.

• Upvote 7