Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

HarryBizzle

Eurogamer’s feature on this made a good point about how Insomniac’s Spider-Man feels like just that, despite being called Marvel’s Spider-Man. It’s clearly something very different to any of the Spider-Man movies. 

This has way too much MCU in it so it just feels weird when it deviates from that. 

I was kind of hyped for this when it was all rumoured to being worked on but yeesh, that trailer was godawful. Spider-Man had totally different likenesses but it worked because it was very much its own thing, plus the quality of the facial models was stellar. This, on the other hand, looks like some PS3 era shit, everyone look so bad (Tony's hair, holy crap). And the VAs aren't working for me either, there's 3 or 4 well known ones but they just sound wrong for this.

Oh, and no Hawkeye? GTFO, I want Exploding Hulk Hands arrows.

It really does look like the renders they’d use for the cover of a PS2 movie tie in.

With Spider-Man, it’s very easy to make personal changes that have a huge effect, because it’s just one character. As Peter’s supporting characters are his family and friends, we can easily see how his life is different. A game starring a Spider-Man who is older, married to Mary Jane, with a dead Aunt May, instantly feels different to the current movies. The costume in the Spidey game is also a unique version.

The Avengers never have time for personal lives, that stuff goes in their own movie or comics. The other major thing is the roster. The MCU is the only place where the standard Avengers lineup is Cap, Thor, Tony, Nat and Hulk. There’s literally no comics or cartoons about the team with that lineup unless they’re tied into the movies. 

If it’s just the MCU, license those versions. If it’s not the MCU, give it its own personality.

I just watched some clips of the Telltale Guardians of the Galaxy series, to see how that handled the MCU likenesses.

Apart from the Gamora design being closer to the comics (yellow eye patch markings), almost all the other costume designs were taken directly from the movies - and all the voice actors seemed to be doing impressions of the MCU cast.

Of course a direct comparison between GOTG and this Avengers trailer isn't really appropriate: an adventure game has very different requirements in how flexible the facial animation has to be; and the predominant thing about most of the Guardians is that they're either CG or under alien makeup, which disguises most of the likeness problems.

So the only character you can meaningfully compare is Peter Quill. I don't think the Telltale game's cartoonier design for him looks great, but it's sufficiently different enough to make me treat it as its own thing, instead of making me distracted that it's not a likeness of Chris Pratt.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-12-marvels-avengers-developers-talk-multiplayer-monetisation-and-the-lack-of-mcu

You've picked the Avengers heroes people know best from their MCU appearances but of course these aren't those iterations - and Iron Man does not look like Robert Downey Jr. Were you expecting the reaction from some fans where they've been taken aback?

Therian: There's the opportunity to work with Marvel on our own versions - and that's a huge opportunity for us. Obviously, we know people are attached to some of the stuff which has come out more recently but when you consider Marvel as a whole, these heroes have been around, in some cases, 80 years. We're just one of those new iterations and because we're working with Marvel so closely, we think they'll be excited.

"We had the opportunity to develop our own versions, which is why we chose our design of looking exactly like the current film versions. But without the licensed likenesses."

And this looks a million times better

If they'd gone for a slightly more stylised look it would would have been fine. Doesn't need to be fully cartoonish like Ultimate Alliance either. They've specifically aped the somewhat plain, realistic aesthetic of the MCU films so that it looks like a tie-in to those films rather than a separate thing. 

Even the Insomniac Spiderman game is visually distinct from that. 

https://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2019/06/13/marvels-avengers-hero-line-up-mirroring-the-mcus-is-a-total-coincidence-e3-2019?sf103985588=1

The developers behind the upcoming Marvel’s Avengers game claim their Avengers line-up being nearly identical to the MCU’s is a total coincidence.

We then asked if it was a total coincidence that the game’s line-up is the same as the MCU’s, to which Escayg replied: “Yeah."

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d0355ce6b752f3667

5 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

If Ant-Man ends up being a character in this, it'll be absolute fire. Ant-Man is by BOY.

His character model will probably look like Jimmy Nail though.

The guy from GTAV is who it makes me think of.

• 1 month later...

I saw a tweet today in which they unveiled the Joe Fixit (aka the original grey Hulk) costume for the Hulk. Always a welcome addition and a fan favourite, but what did they do? Slap the FIxit costume onto the green Hulk. They didn't even bother with a simple palette swap. It's a small thing which only the nerdiest of nerds will get up in arms about, but aside from that it's emblematic of this whole project. I can't imagine that they're too lazy to apply a simple one-two click palette swap, which suggests it simply didn't even occur to anyone involved in making this game. Which nicely encapsulates how passionless this entire project seems to be, as if nobody has any kind of interest or passion for the subject matter. Therefore they're stuck reading wikipedia entries to figure out what people want to see so that they can monetize it. If that's the case, it's no big mystery why the entire reveal at E3 was a big mess that seemed to only want to take stuff from the films while apparently not having that particular license, why there isn't any kind of interesting style or flair to the visual design, why the reveal showed nothing of the game itself, and why they instead launched immediately into a big spiel about DLC and how players are going to be able to to  buy lots and lots of additional stuff.

I’m not especially fond of Arkham type super hero games (I actually don’t think super hero games can really ever work), but if you look at something like Spider-Man or Arkham they’re so clearly being made by people who love the character and are excited to create their own version. In comparison, this looks like it was designed by the marketing team.