Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

There’s been no War Table update in ages now to outline the roadmap, so something must be going on behind the scenes, which isn’t surprising.

I was reading some of the Reddit board posts the other day- someone posted a video of themselves playing as Hulk. Every time he jumped at the top of this building, he’d float in the air for a while before coming back down. One of the developers replied, saying that it was because he was hitting the sky box, and although it was a bad example, not much could really be done.

I think that gives some kind of an idea how seemingly unfixable it really is, at least by those responsible for it. It’s almost like it was cobbled together from parts from a totally different game, as what you’ve got now really isn’t fit for purpose.

So many examples of weird stuff. Like, you have emotes, but you can only ever use one. There’s no emote wheel. You literally have to go back into the clunky menu, select another, and then that’s your new emote.

Hearing all the chatter online about this game I was surprised to learn there is no cross play (and no intention either). Maybe there is some thought to it now to bolster numbers?

The next gen version comes out alongside the new consoles. With a free upgrade for existing owners - ARE YOU EXCITED?

I wonder how enthusiastic Square is at this point of having to put those versions out or whether they're hoping for any kind of next gen surge in player count/interest.

I also wonder if the game will be as janky and broken as it is right now, whether they're even going to bother trying to fix it further.

I also wonder whether the servers will still be up at the end of 2021.

Last I heard Anthem was gearing up to try and do a Final Fantasy XIV, right? Can't see either Square or Disney pumping yet more money into this to try and resurrect it. It would have to be a complete rebuild from the ground up.

Despite all Biowares noises I still think the Anthem reboot will be binned. How long's it been since we heard anything substantial about it? It's been out a year and a half. The parallels this is making to it is pretty astonishing.

I'd love to see post mortem documentaries from devs about why Anthem and this ended up such disasters.

Oh yeah definitely. Moreso this one, because as others have said it feels like it was cobbled together from a completely different game. Like they were making a single player thing, maybe traditional co-op at a push, and then some shareholders were like but what about dat Destiny Money?! How it was set to be revealed for at least two - maybe three - E3s in a row, but failed to materialize until that akward reveal where they talked about having DLC and skins and Microtransactions without saying or showing anything else. Not even the characters! 

There must have been some drama and publisher/license holder interference going on behind the scenes. I would love to see a post mortem on both, but A-Day feels juicier.

45 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The next gen version comes out alongside the new consoles. With a free upgrade for existing owners - ARE YOU EXCITED?

I wonder how enthusiastic Square is at this point of having to put those versions out or whether they're hoping for any kind of next gen surge in player count/interest.

I also wonder if the game will be as janky and broken as it is right now, whether they're even going to bother trying to fix it further.

I also wonder whether the servers will still be up at the end of 2021.

Most of the problems won't be solved by a gfx upgrade. The endgame loop is just vacant. 

The hope was that frequent content patches would fix that but with the devs going silent I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Most of the problems won't be solved by a gfx upgrade. The endgame loop is just vacant. 

The hope was that frequent content patches would fix that but with the devs going silent I doubt it.

Oh yeah, of course. What I meant was will they manage or even bother trying to get the game into a more presentable state for all those new and enthusiastic next-gen gamers who might be checking this game for the very first time :lol:

22 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Oh yeah, of course. What I meant was will they manage or even bother trying to get the game into a more presentable state for all those new and enthusiastic next-gen gamers who might be checking this game for the very first time :lol:

It's going to be like when they released Gun on the Xbox 360 at launch...

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

You could do a find and replace of Avengers with Anthem in the latest statement by the devs and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in the stuff EA and Square are saying.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/crystal-dynamics-we-are-confident-that-we’ll-see-pc-players-as-well-as-those-on-xbox-one-and-playstation-4-return-to-the-game.302918/

It's such weird language: 'To our players: every day we fight to make the best game possible for our community.'

Game development post-launch shouldn't be a fight...

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

It’s not even just content though- there seem to be major technical issues with the way the levels and systems are constructed that just don’t work.

Like the sky boxes thing.

Like the fact you have to have ‘ready’ switches before everyone advances to the next part of the level, and that enemies are ‘activated’ through walls by them and start attacking you?

Like the fact that payable characters and enemies fall through level geometry.

Like the fact that the menus don’t work properly.

Like the fact matchmaking is flawed with a system that often sees you fighting either comically easy or frustratingly hard hitting enemies, in an attempt to scale content for group members of totally different character levels. When you can even find anyone to group up with.

Like the fact that between sections of the levels, your character stats stop working, so suddenly you can’t damage enemies.

Still! Even now! Over a month after release! And those are just a fraction of the things they seem fundamentally unable to fix (especially going on that skybox comment by the developer).

I would imagine if they add even more variables to the game, like a new character or any kind of content, the whole thing is just going to collapse. You can’t build things on top of a wet cardboard base.

Someone else pointed it out in a video I saw online- this is the Marvel universe with a rich history of amazing settings. Why are we fighting in DESERT or FOREST of GENERICITY? Why is it always ROBOTS???

It’s one of those games where, the more you think about it, the more you’re like WTF???

And that article is indeed very strange with its phrasing. Yes, it shouldn’t be a fight at this stage, it shouldn’t be a struggle. It should just be about polishing and enhancing what you’ve released.

But yes, it would be fascinating to know what’s going on behind the scenes, as it’s got to be one HELL of a story. Maybe they know Disney will be taking the licence away from them after this or something, so that’s why they phoned it in? I don’t know, but obviously a lot of stuff has gone down.

Considering the mass appeal of the licence, it seems strange that it wasn’t marketed very much, or at least, not much that I saw. I’m assuming because they were aware what kind of state it would be released in.

2 hours ago, Retroguy said:

Someone else pointed it out in a video I saw online- this is the Marvel universe with a rich history of amazing settings. Why are we fighting in DESERT or FOREST of GENERICITY? Why is it always ROBOTS???

To be fair, that's true of a lot of the films too. I imagine in the comics it's generally robots or something very alien, rather than human enemies as well?

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

To be fair, that's true of a lot of the films too. I imagine in the comics it's generally robots or something very alien, rather than human enemies as well?

But they fight super villains in the movies too, right? This game has THREE. One of which you can only fight once, with absolutely no way to fight again.

I wouldn’t mind if they hadn’t nailed one of the more difficult parts- how the characters feel to play. They feel great, and really satisfying. It’s just that the arena to use them in is incredible limited.

As it is, I really don’t see how this is going to pull up from the nosedive it’s in right now. We’re entering the busy period for big releases now, and at some point I can’t see it being worth their while releasing more content, just as with Anthem.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

Neither the films or any comics need to support the sheer volume of fighting that this game does. Whilst the Avengers movies are aliens then robots then aliens, the individual movies which make up the vast majority of the MCU franchise often have the heroes fighting human enemies. 

Comics rarely need filler shite between the super hero vs super villain fights. They’d actually be bad because nobody wants to look at page after page of heroes punching and kicking identical enemies. The avengers comics are generally a lot more talking, maybe a bit of exploring or investigating, then fighting super villains. You just don’t need to fill hours of anything except games with generic, repetitive “stuff”, and this game’s desperation to be a Destiny clone makes that issue much more pressing. I still think you could have AIM soldiers, robots, maybe hydra soldiers that have different equipment, and possibly some alien type things. Maybe symbiotes, or zombies of something. 

https://avengers.square-enix-games.com/en-us/news/v1-3-3-patch-notes/

A fair few QOL fixes and some bugs.

New content isn't active yet

SHIELD Substation Zero Outpost: SHIELD has opened Substation Zero to investigate new temporal anomalies that have begun forming across the world. A space that offers new narrative, characters, and content, you can find SHIELD Substation Zero in the Pacific Northwest on the WAR TABLE.  

Tachyon Rift Missions: You’ll investigate the temporal anomalies by taking on the new Tachyon Rift missions, which are the first place players can get Cosmic Gear. The Tachyon storm will damage players over time, but charges Heroic energy at an increased rate. With the “Meridian” modifier active, players can pass through Temporal Anomalies to extended the time you can spend within a Tachyon Rift. A late-game offering, Tachyon Rift Missions require 140 Power Level or higher Super Heroes to play. These missions are available once per day and rotate out daily. 

I already have a piece of Cosmic gear or two due to their silly loot table

From people that have got in early due to bugs - Rifts seem to be timed versions of existing missions. Although you build gear/builds to try and max efficiency and get bonuses in there in race to complete.

Better than nothing, but feels miles from "enough"

https://www.vg247.com/2020/10/16/marvels-avengers-next-gen-release-delay/

Crystal Dynamics has delayed the next-gen release of Marvel’s Avengers into 2021, and have pushed the Kate Bishop content out of October.

In a blog post today, the developer said the reason for the Kate Bishop delay for Marvel’s Avengers is to have a “fixed, predictable patching cycle,” with time for extensive testing before new content is released.

The team also made the decision to move the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S release into 2021 to ensure it gives the team time to “deliver a next-gen experience showcasing all that this game is meant to be.”

As a sign of appreciation to players, starting October 22, Crystal Dynamics will hand players a digital thank-you bundle, which includes:

Credits: 1500 – Enough for a Legendary Skin and Nameplate from the Marketplace

Units: 7000

Upgrade Modules: 250

DNA Keys: 20

A Sarah Garza-Inspired Nameplate

It’s just unfixable, they would pretty much have to start again since all the issues are so endemic in the game’s core structure and design. There’s no point them releasing this on next gen and having even more negative exposure when the damage is already done and they won’t get any more money for it.

And to think that I bought the PS4 version especially for Spider-Man who I doubt will ever see the light of day lol

You have to love the communication that they promised just a week or so ago that they’d improve- saying they’re bumping the new character due in October when it’s already halfway through the month :hat:

It's a death spiral. They're stuck still trying to make it work properly while the content isn't there to keep players' attention. When and if it ever runs as it should, there'll be no one left to play it. I also still have no idea what they can do with the core game except keep chucking new characters at it, with diminishing returns each time. I'd be surprised if they do more than one or two before pulling the plug.

2 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It's a death spiral. They're stuck still trying to make it work properly while the content isn't there to keep players' attention. When and if it ever runs as it should, there'll be no one left to play it. I also still have no idea what they can do with the core game except keep chucking new characters at it, with diminishing returns each time. I'd be surprised if they do more than one or two before pulling the plug.

Yes, absolutely.

The game is such a tower of cards at the moment anyway, that adding new content is only going to make it even more unstable.

So basically, they’re damned if they do, and damned if they don’t. But it’s all totally a situation of their own making. And now the game will be lost to time amongst next gen console releases and the AAA release window.

I’m not sure I’ve ever played more of an example where GaaS has been ‘confused’ with early access. And that’s being generous. Even leaving to one side the argument that a GaaS game needs a certain content level at release, as it’s being released as a finished game, it needs to be technically acceptable amongst its peers at least. This was months to proper release, with masses of gaping black holes of technical issues.

And I’ve never seen a game more brazenly use repeated assets. There are only 3 supervillains, only 2 which you can fight more than once. And every time you do, it’s because they are ‘clones’. It makes you fight them again and again and again as the daily faction missions. But it’s ok, they’re clones! And then they announce the next bit of content will be an AIM cloning lab. As someone on a video pointed out, the whole game is already an AIM cloning lab. Even down to things like some of the name plates you can earn are just slightly zoomed in and cropped versions of other ones?? The balls on this game :hat: