IGNORED

Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

HarryBizzle

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

avengers_roadmap.jpeg

Heroes are free, but will the Wakanda expansion be free?

No mention of Spiderman either

I don’t think there’s ever been any hint that any content like that wouldn’t be free- I think at this stage, they’d get even more slated if they did that.

Got to love that ‘Summer and beyond’ release date for Black Panther too, amazing :lol:

Before the announcement today, streamers were told in advance of what they were going to say today. They were all ‘you won’t believe what they’re going to tell you, it’s amazing!!’ And this was what it was? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

I don’t think there’s ever been any hint that any content like that wouldn’t be free- I think at this stage, they’d get even more slated if they did that.

Got to love that ‘Summer and beyond’ release date for Black Panther too, amazing :lol:

Before the announcement today, streamers were told in advance of what they were going to say today. They were all ‘you won’t believe what they’re going to tell you, it’s amazing!!’ And this was what it was? :lol:

I meant will BP in the Wakanda paid packed, but they've said he'll be free standalone now from what I can see

Whilst the game obviously has lots of problems, it sounds like the performance at least of the Series X version is very impressive at 4k/60 (not so much on the PS5), according to a thread on Era (I'm sure a DF article will come along soon enough).

I wonder if that performance will translate to the PC version? With a Ryzen 3600 and 3070 FE at 1440p I had horrible tanking of frame rates when everything was kicking off, dropping to single-digit at times - and that was with DLSS on utlra performance too.

I should probably try the Hawkeye content at some point.

Kinda shocked how the PS5 version is quite a step below the x and not just in resolution. Some reason things are blurry and just a mess according to comparisons. 

Was tempted to pick it up on PS5 (some guy is selling it local on Facebook for £15) but I remembered the game is total gash just wondering if it has improved a lot. 

Andddd done-  new Hawkeye content takes about 2 hours and that’s it. Aim bots all the way through, and one new boss fight at the end.

I’m not sure why they think it’s worth trying to keep the game alive if the ratio is three months for two hours’ worth of new content...I know you get a new character and all, but when all you’ve got is the same old activities and enemies to fight...it’s all such a wasted opportunity.

Hawkeye does feel very similar to Kate, with grappling arrows instead of teleport. His movement feels really janky, and every time he jumps it’s like you’re on the moon.

17 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Nearing the end of my MCU marathon, I was about to pick this up, purely for single player campaign shenanigans.

But y’all make it sound shit. 

The general consensus is that the campaign is good - I certainly enjoyed it - but theres not much to keep you beyond that. 

I was sorely tempted by this game, but I made a vow at the start of this generation that I would not be supporting with my money this time around any games that did not offer full content on my platform of choice (Currently Xbox Series X), so the decision to make Spiderman a PS exclusive cost them my custom.   Same applied to COD & I have bought everyone of those day one for as long as I can remember.

Anyhow it makes it a lot easier when the game turns out to be a total turd, and now it is looking like Spiderman will probably never even see the light of day on it.

Another example of Sony’s preposterously risible software hindering next-gen upgrades. From saves not seamlessly transferring and needing both games installed at once, to PS4 versions inexplicably downloading, to discs installing the PS4 version every time you turn on the console, it’s obvious that upgrades simply weren’t on the agenda until they got word that Microsoft were going all in on them:

It's one of many things that Microsoft announced that made me think beforehand "eh, nice to have but not exactly essential" - but after a few months I'm now so used to all the Series X QOL stuff, that it annoys me a bit going back to a console that doesn't just do everything seamlessly in the background. And "just works". I'm an Android user but imagine this is what Apple users mean. After a while this particular annoyance will matter less of course, but with covid delays and general shortages, the early crossgen phase of any new generation is probably going to last a lot longer this time around.

Also, I can't imagine that it matters much for specifically this game. Another excuse not to play it, accept that it was money wasted and move on, right?

I keep reading this thread despite quiting the game in disappointment after finishing the campaign. Usually I wouldn't bother keeping up to date with a shite game, but in this case... I love games, I love Marvel, and you can play as the Hulk in this. Should have been the perfect game for me, even if it was a bit flawed - Hulk smash means happy Gerbik. But man. Talk about wasted potential, this game using this ip at a time when Avengers is the biggest hype worldwide - hooooow do you fuck that up so badly.

Hulk trash means sad Gerbik :(

I keep reading it in the vague hope Squeenix pull a rabbit out of the hat and it's suddenly really good. The triumph of hope of experience.

As for smart delivery  I've already started taking it for granted. It's only when shit like what Ps5 owners have to go through comes up you realise how brilliant it is, because why WOULDN'T you make your systems work like that?

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I keep reading it in the vague hope Squeenix pull a rabbit out of the hat and it's suddenly really good. The triumph of hope of experience.

It's what you hear all the time nowadays with games like this: Final Fantasy XIV did it so why not this? But what FFXIV did was probably the miraculous exception. And if I recall correctly, they went all the way back to basics and started damn near from scratch - is that correct? If so, then that's probably indicative of the kind of investment a miraculous rebirth requires. At the moment I don't see any kind of overhaul for the Avengers on the horizon. Just token patches that don't come anywhere near fixing its serious problems, never mind addressing its fundamental design flaws. The limp road map they outlined comes across as stacking more shit onto broken fundaments. It's sooner going to topple over like an overambitious Sam Bridges, than deliver a completely overhauled game. Sadly.

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was the last good Marvel game, pity it is a Switch exclusive.

That was good, but Miles Morales is more recent.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

As for smart delivery  I've already started taking it for granted. It's only when shit like what Ps5 owners have to go through comes up you realise how brilliant it is, because why WOULDN'T you make your systems work like that?

I (unexpectedly) ended up with a PS5 as well as a Series X and, after playing a few things on it and really enjoying the Dual Sense (Astrobot in particular makes genuinely fantastic use of it, and Control: Ultimate Edition isn’t far off) thought it might just be my console of choice not only for PlayStation exclusives, but non-Game Pass third party stuff, even with the knowledge that Xbox is now the only platform that more or less guarantees much of your library crosses generations with you. 

Needless to say, the different varieties of faff-induced exasperation and Microsoft’s renewed commitment to backwards compatibility in the form of FPS Boost disabused me of that idea. PS5 is a fine console that will have a lot to offer over the course of the generation, but fucking hell, you get the impression that system software and having a coherent eco-system is met with an eye-roll and shoestring budget from the top dogs at PlayStation HQ.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That was good, but Miles Morales is more recent.

Yeah, that’s excellent. I love the sense of place with the Sony Spider-Man games, particularly the decidedly more wintery MM. I still get a bit of a buzz visiting some of its approximations of parts of NYC I’ve enjoyed in real life.

5 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:

Yeah, that’s excellent. I love the sense of place with the Sony Spider-Man games, particularly the decidedly more wintery MM. I still get a bit of a buzz visiting some of its approximations of parts of NYC I’ve enjoyed in real life.

Yeah, it's amazing. I've sadly never been there in person but like the Yakuza games it feels like a nice bit of virtual tourism. And hooked up to our new LG OLED it's my go-to game to show off the current generation to more casual* gaming friends.

*for lack of a better term. People who like gaming but don't have a mancave filled with consoles from every generation NES onwards and buy multiple games a month. Normal people.

Forgotten excellent superhero games that deserve a sequel instead of devs wasting resources on Avengers Ass-day:

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction: a sequel with modern graphics and physics to make the destruction truly ULTIMATE.

That 360 Wolverine game: a modern take even gorier and bloody than the surprisingly fun first game. And more variation.

Batman Arkham Asylum: as in, another game that does a superhero variant of the metroidvania genre. The Arkham sequels went into a completely different direction, but I'd like a new game that tries to take the original concept further. Doesn't even need to be Batman, but obviously Batman is the coolest of all.

3 hours ago, Sumire said:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 was the last good Marvel game, pity it is a Switch exclusive.

That was more musou-like than UA 1 & 2, wasn't it? I think UA1 was probably the best, UA2 streamlined the skills right down so you only have 4 (instead a pool of skills to select 4 from), which was a poor decision in my opinion.

TBH I'm not even getting why people said the single-layer was good.

Playing through for the first time and it's just a constant stop start, tightly controlled, linear affair. So far almost no freedom to experiment with your play. The upgrade system just makes no sense whatsoever- "invisible" equipment upgrades. Must be the worst possible way of tacking on a character development system.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing something or is upgrading your gear pretty pointless as you are bombarded with incrementally better stuff as you progress? I’ve upgraded a few things but half a mission later it’s redundant due to something new I have acquired.

50 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Am I missing something or is upgrading your gear pretty pointless as you are bombarded with incrementally better stuff as you progress? I’ve upgraded a few things but half a mission later it’s redundant due to something new I have acquired.

Yeah like most GASS the upgrading stuff is part of the endgame and throughout the campaign and route to lv 50 you should just   use the drops.

As otherwise you’ll waste all your stuff for when you actually need to upgrade gear as you’ve reached the soft cap