IGNORED

Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

HarryBizzle

7 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

The Avengers campaign seems great so far, really enjoying it. Maybe I’m just easily pleased. 

Yeah same here, it’s mindless fun and looks bloody nice too, my main gripe is some of the characters models are pretty poor, Ms Marvel looks too old for starters.

8 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

The Avengers campaign seems great so far, really enjoying it. Maybe I’m just easily pleased. 

Yeah I have got as far as sorting Iron Man out with a new suit & it is not bad at all so far.  I will definitely carry on with it.

I blasted through the campaign this last weekend and had a grand old time. It’s a lot of fun and Kamala Khan is a delight.

I think the combat’s quite good if you make the effort to learn all the combos and parry timings and despite thinking it was all much of a muchness when playing the pre-release demo there’s actually a nice distinction between the characters’ movesets.

Could tell right from the off though that the GaaS stuff has been shoehorned in and is poorly implemented and badly designed. Crystal Dynamics have no experience of creating games like that and it clearly shows. It’s an incredibly difficult thing to get right at the best of times (even Bungie after nearly a decade of doing it routinely stumble in their attempts) but I’ve rarely seen a more egregious example of an entire suite of systems and mechanics awkwardly bolted on to what is in essence a fairly simple character brawler in a brazen attempt to rake in MTX money.

Glad I never paid for it but now it’s on Game Pass there’s no reason not to jump in and enjoy it for what it is.

2 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Perfect Game Pass fodder then, surely? I can play the good bits and move on, without feeling like I need to get £50 of value out of it by slogging through the GaaS crap.

I thought so, but it seems completely impossible to install at the moment. At some random point along the 84gig download I get informed "Installation stopped", which can only be fixed by deleting the download and starting over.

It's happened at about 40gig on an overnight, and it has happened after a few meg. I've been trying for 4 days now! My best guess is that the servers are being hammered by all the GP players trying to get a look.

I managed to install this OK but I did get a random "Installation Stopped" message for an update to something else the other day.

Maybe there's a more general problem with the update/installation servers, and it's just more noticeable with Avengers because it's so huge and therefore more likely to get a random error occurring during the time it takes to install.

I installed about 50% in an hour on Thursday evening I think and played the initial missions that were available while it was only partially installed.  The remainder downloaded overnight and was available when I went to play the following evening.

If its been stuck for 4 days @CheekyLee I think something has gone wrong for you

1 hour ago, StumpyJohn said:

I installed about 50% in an hour on Thursday evening I think and played the initial missions that were available while it was only partially installed.  The remainder downloaded overnight and was available when I went to play the following evening.

If its been stuck for 4 days @CheekyLee I think something has gone wrong for you

It's not been stuck for 4 days. It has been failing for 4 days! At 1 point I had 19 notifications that the installation had stopped.

So, I tried a couple of other things. Gears 4 wouldn't install, wouldn't even start. But it seemed fine with Unsighted, and is currently working its way through Resident Evil. I can only assume the size is the problem, so my hope is to do what you did and just get to "Ready to start" and hopefully the rest comes over time.

Avengers: Spendgame?

Surely this is a precursor to going full F2P? It has to be the right decision, as the only thing that stopped me playing before it hit Game Pass was the paygate. (Since then, it's been inability to install it, but that's a whole different problem...)

Yes it’s probably the only thing to keep it going now for maybe another few months- they could have handled it better though, especially having made a big song and dance early on saying the game will only ever have cosmetic MTX, and it coming so soon after the ‘we’ve increased the XP needed to level so you enjoy the game more!’ fiasco.

I assumed they’d get a bit more money from people buying costumes now it’s out on gamepass, but they must really be desperate.

It’s still a slap in the face though, as the game is still far from finished. They had to cut the developer stream short the other day after an embarrassing bug which none of the developers acknowledged despite it being on screen for like five minutes.

On 04/10/2021 at 12:31, CheekyLee said:

I thought so, but it seems completely impossible to install at the moment. At some random point along the 84gig download I get informed "Installation stopped", which can only be fixed by deleting the download and starting over.

It's happened at about 40gig on an overnight, and it has happened after a few meg. I've been trying for 4 days now! My best guess is that the servers are being hammered by all the GP players trying to get a look.

On 04/10/2021 at 12:52, Garwoofoo said:

I managed to install this OK but I did get a random "Installation Stopped" message for an update to something else the other day.

Maybe there's a more general problem with the update/installation servers, and it's just more noticeable with Avengers because it's so huge and therefore more likely to get a random error occurring during the time it takes to install.

I'm not sure this will be the case, but there is a known bug with Game Pass for PC where some games won't install to anything but the initial setup drive (C in most cases).

Obvs doesn't apply if you're Xbox owners, and you may be feeling like you dodged a bullet with this one by now anyway... 

This whole thing is one of the more fascinating flops in recent gaming history. Have to wonder how much cash Square spunked away on it, not considering the other games they could have made with the same development resources.

At this point they should spin the Spiderman dlc off into a separate game.

Between the details that recently came out about the silly money MS paid for a Tomb Raider exclusivity window and Sony ponying up for Spider-man content that didn’t even manage to come out before the game hit GamePass (and will probably go F2P shortly); I have to imagine there’s some Del Boy type working at Crystal Dynamics.

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

This whole thing is one of the more fascinating flops in recent gaming history. Have to wonder how much cash Square spunked away on it, not considering the other games they could have made with the same development resources.

At this point they should spin the Spiderman dlc off into a separate game.

It’d definitely make one hell of an interesting story to find out what happened in development. Even now, there are tons of vestigial game design nightmares hinting at the trouble behind the scenes and the various different directions the game took.

I found my favourite one the other day- one of the boss missions in the future desolate landscape, you get to one of those points where you have to gather the whole team together with a countdown. The door opens, and then there’s another point in an elevator I think. That takes you down to a little room which you sit in for about twenty seconds before eventually another door opens. Behind that…another gather point!!! WTF??

Leaving aside the bugs, I can’t believe no one’s given them a hard time for this stuff (although granted that’s moot at this point). It’s certainly a prime example of a bodged job.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

More importantly I wonder how Marvel took the flop.

This is interesting too, because Marvel doesn’t seem to want to totally ignore its existence, but the tie-in with the upcoming Hawkeye tv show is a nameplate- the most cursory of acknowledgements. And obviously you have the movie costumes now too, so maybe Marvel isn’t too bothered as long as it’s making some money off the project?

I only installed this because a friend wanted to play it in multiplayer (annoyingly they have the same issue where they can't install it) but i've been enjoying it far more than I ever expected to given I didn't think it looked that good at release. Up to about 50 hours so far and haven't touched the DLC yet. Hit the power soft cap on Widow and just finished off the missions for the base game characters. I really struggle to care about paid xp boosts and gearing in nearly all these kinds of games is boring anyway so I'm not bothered about that. The combat is really fun though. Really feels like they've nailed the fantasy of playing some of these characters. Doesn't seem to deserve the vitriol i've seen in some places and I really hope they manage to stick with it longer as i'd love to see them expand on that roster beyond what's been announced.

10 hours ago, bcofn said:

I only installed this because a friend wanted to play it in multiplayer (annoyingly they have the same issue where they can't install it) but i've been enjoying it far more than I ever expected to given I didn't think it looked that good at release. Up to about 50 hours so far and haven't touched the DLC yet. Hit the power soft cap on Widow and just finished off the missions for the base game characters. I really struggle to care about paid xp boosts and gearing in nearly all these kinds of games is boring anyway so I'm not bothered about that. The combat is really fun though. Really feels like they've nailed the fantasy of playing some of these characters. Doesn't seem to deserve the vitriol i've seen in some places and I really hope they manage to stick with it longer as i'd love to see them expand on that roster beyond what's been announced.

It’s a live service game which forgot to add the live service part. A continued stream of broken promises and persistent bugs which plague the game over a year after release, with a hugely underused universe and incredible lack of game assets. It’s not hard to see why it gets the level of criticism it justly deserves.

But you’re right- at times it can nail the feeling of playing as some of the heroes, which is what makes all of that  even more of a shame. 

Sadly, people have been clamouring for an expanded roster which was promised ever since release. You have to remember that Spider-Man was announced at the pre-order stage, and still hasn’t come out. Hawkeye, Kate Bishop and Black Panther were known to have been in development pretty much since last September- no other characters have even been mentioned by the developers.

I don’t see any way this will have more content past the obligated Spider-Man. Their most recent roadmap, a chance to show people the future of the game and keep interest going, refused to go any further than the end of the year and had nothing substantial on it other than one raid (to pad it out, the first panel on it was stuff they’d already released). I think that’s a pretty certain answer.

3 hours ago, Retroguy said:

It’s a live service game which forgot to add the live service part. A continued stream of broken promises and persistent bugs which plague the game over a year after release, with a hugely underused universe and incredible lack of game assets. It’s not hard to see why it gets the level of criticism it justly deserves.

But you’re right- at times it can nail the feeling of playing as some of the heroes, which is what makes all of that  even more of a shame. 

Sadly, people have been clamouring for an expanded roster which was promised ever since release. You have to remember that Spider-Man was announced at the pre-order stage, and still hasn’t come out. Hawkeye, Kate Bishop and Black Panther were known to have been in development pretty much since last September- no other characters have even been mentioned by the developers.

I don’t see any way this will have more content past the obligated Spider-Man. Their most recent roadmap, a chance to show people the future of the game and keep interest going, refused to go any further than the end of the year and had nothing substantial on it other than one raid (to pad it out, the first panel on it was stuff they’d already released). I think that’s a pretty certain answer.

I mean what you're basically talking about here is the treadmill right? It seems totally unfair to me to have a large chunk of pretty great content largely dismissed because they said they were going to carry on development of the game post release. Everywhere I see the campaign and the combat as kind of handwaved away as "Yeah they're good BUT...". If they were expecting people to pay monthly or per season or something then I could maybe understand it but they're not so I think it's totally fair to judge it on it being a one off purchase with possibly more.

I've put just over 60 hours into it so far in finishing the campaign, playing the characer missions and some of the post campaign stuff but I haven't touched any of the dlc operations or characters so far which all say they have about another 15+ missions each and the lions share of my time has been spent on Black Widow and Cap who are now both halfway to max level and are at the soft power cap. On that basis of what I would have paid for I think it's been pretty fucking fantactic, and no, I can't see much of the feeling around the game being justified. Some disappointment that you can't play it as a job perhaps but certainly not the vitriol i've seen in a number of places. For all the people complaining about how they've slowed down levelling to get people to pay for boosts it's not even been that slow with about a level per mission depending on length. I'm sure it will slow down a bit more as I get higher in levels but then I've got all the basic stuff unlocked and nothing is gated by level it seems anyway, only power which has been pretty quick to reach cap. It really just seems the paid xp boosts is yet another example of something that doesn't seem needed apart from by idiots who insist on spending money to avoid playing a game they profess to be into.

I can't speak to what the developers have said or not, I wasn't even interested in the game and thought it looked a bit crap on the small amount of streams I watched when it was released, i'm just judging whats ended up in front of me. I've also not had any real issues with any bugs. I had a really messed up map on the mission where you recruit Stark on the 2nd day I played it which made me a bit worried but it's not something that's come back and aside from that I've only noticed that the speedy running effect seems to get stuck always on when on some of the Utah maps.

So the game's been out for a year and has had 3 updates consisting of a new character and a bunch of missions, 2 of which are in new areas it seems. It doesn't really seem like that lacking compared to say Destiny or something. I should point out, grinding for gear is the least fun thing I want in a game. It's just boring. It's what puts me off WoW these days and one of the things I like about FFXIV. I don't feel compelled to play it all the time unless i'm raiding or actually want to play it because i'm enjoying the gameplay thats relatively open ended.

I think the main issue for me at the moment is while I'd certainly want to come back and play new characters and new story content (kinda like I do in FFXIV) I really feel they're limited in terms of what I would be willing to spend money on. I've never spent any money on just cosmetics in a game, although i've bought the odd season pass for Destiny in the past. I don't know if it's a directive from Marvel but it feels like whole model skins is a bit limited and many of them are very similar. It really feels like it needs some more wacky alternatives for skins and some different kinds of customisation like Destiny has it's ships and ghost shells. Maybe more Carrier and Quinjet alternatives.

4 minutes ago, bcofn said:

I mean what you're basically talking about here is the treadmill right? It seems totally unfair to me to have a large chunk of pretty great content largely dismissed because they said they were going to carry on development of the game post release. Everywhere I see the campaign and the combat as kind of handwaved away as "Yeah they're good BUT...". If they were expecting people to pay monthly or per season or something then I could maybe understand it but they're not so I think it's totally fair to judge it on it being a one off purchase with possibly more.

Not sure where you thought I was talking about the treadmill, but no, that wasn't my point at all. My point is CD made a number of promises before/on release which still haven't been kept. They said something like 'you won't believe how quickly we'll be releasing new heroes after launch'. Which, I suppose is true, but only ironically. Again, I'd point out that Spider-Man was advertised pre-launch but still isn't out over a year after release. Content promised for just after release like the clone labs still isn't out, and the patrol mode has disappeared from the roadmap. There's also the issue of the laughable number of enemies and villains.

Then there are the gameplay issues like the mustering points I mentioned, the fact that you hit the sky box when jumping on certain buildings, and having to walk the bifrost up stairs etc. Then you've got the bugs which persist since launch such as falling through the floor, enemies getting stuck in the floor, checkpoints failing to trigger, stuff like that. You sadly only have to watch the developer feeds to see examples of those. It took like over six months before you could even replay through the campaign. Multiplayer matchmaking is still broken as you pair up with people of totally different power levels. You still have to wait a minute when other people join the game because the ability to speed up the countdown is broken. And regardless of how you personally find the levelling, it's certainly a dick move to say 'the faster levelling experience is breaking the game experience, we need to slow it down', and then introduce microtransactions for more experience points just after. Especially as another promise before launch was that 'we will have no microtransactions apart from cosmetics'.

For me, I'd say I'd gotten my money's worth out of it, but the backlash is totally justified. It was advertised as a game which would have frequent content following launch, and at several times they've said they will do right by purchasers and turn it around, but this has never materialised. Again, live service game without the live service- it wasn't advertised as 'what you get in the box is it'. Now, there's an argument that at this point in the games industry, if you believe anyone will keep these kind of promises, more fool you, but that isn't quite the point here. As it is, they deserve the roasting they're getting, and hopefully this has at least had some tiny, tiny little impact with anyone else trying this crap. I doubt it, but hey...