Marvel’s Avengers: A-Day

HarryBizzle

4 minutes ago, bcofn said:

I mean what you're basically talking about here is the treadmill right? It seems totally unfair to me to have a large chunk of pretty great content largely dismissed because they said they were going to carry on development of the game post release. Everywhere I see the campaign and the combat as kind of handwaved away as "Yeah they're good BUT...". If they were expecting people to pay monthly or per season or something then I could maybe understand it but they're not so I think it's totally fair to judge it on it being a one off purchase with possibly more.

Not sure where you thought I was talking about the treadmill, but no, that wasn't my point at all. My point is CD made a number of promises before/on release which still haven't been kept. They said something like 'you won't believe how quickly we'll be releasing new heroes after launch'. Which, I suppose is true, but only ironically. Again, I'd point out that Spider-Man was advertised pre-launch but still isn't out over a year after release. Content promised for just after release like the clone labs still isn't out, and the patrol mode has disappeared from the roadmap. There's also the issue of the laughable number of enemies and villains.

Then there are the gameplay issues like the mustering points I mentioned, the fact that you hit the sky box when jumping on certain buildings, and having to walk the bifrost up stairs etc. Then you've got the bugs which persist since launch such as falling through the floor, enemies getting stuck in the floor, checkpoints failing to trigger, stuff like that. You sadly only have to watch the developer feeds to see examples of those. It took like over six months before you could even replay through the campaign. Multiplayer matchmaking is still broken as you pair up with people of totally different power levels. You still have to wait a minute when other people join the game because the ability to speed up the countdown is broken. And regardless of how you personally find the levelling, it's certainly a dick move to say 'the faster levelling experience is breaking the game experience, we need to slow it down', and then introduce microtransactions for more experience points just after. Especially as another promise before launch was that 'we will have no microtransactions apart from cosmetics'.

For me, I'd say I'd gotten my money's worth out of it, but the backlash is totally justified. It was advertised as a game which would have frequent content following launch, and at several times they've said they will do right by purchasers and turn it around, but this has never materialised. Again, live service game without the live service- it wasn't advertised as 'what you get in the box is it'. Now, there's an argument that at this point in the games industry, if you believe anyone will keep these kind of promises, more fool you, but that isn't quite the point here. As it is, they deserve the roasting they're getting, and hopefully this has at least had some tiny, tiny little impact with anyone else trying this crap. I doubt it, but hey...

Despite the many problems with this, I was only ever going to play through the main campaign on my own anyway, so I've been very pleasantly surprised so far. It looks fantastic on the Series X and combat is decent fun.

Hardly innovative but a LOT better than I was expecting. Just a shame about the post game issues.

I would love to read a detailed NDA breaking post-mortem of this project. It feels like the decision to turn it into Destiny/The Division may have come down from management fairly late in the day. Playing the campaign all signs point to the original plan being trying to make a Sony style cinematic third-person game before it went off the rails. It's a Frankenstein's Monster of a game. The start in particular feels heavily influenced by Insomniac's Spider-man walking around sections, albeit an Aldi own-brand version with janky animation where the characters look like they're ice-skating if you sprint. The story telling is pretty clumsy, you start contorlling a character and run around for ages watching her change size and have stretchy limbs, then it's played like a big shock that she has powers in a later custcene and then you get tutorial messages about how she has superpowers and how to use them. But still some 6/10 enjoyment to be gleaned from a GamePass entry (if I'd paid £60 would feel differently). Then suddenly eveything starts screeching to a halt every five minutes as you get tutorial messages about all the different currencies and upgrades and loot and daily challenges and blah, blah, blah. I've just got to the first 'Wartable' mission - the fact they thought that these would be something people would want to return to again and again is laughable.

I still think theres a good game in here, some of the later DLC missions show promise and definately have some destiny style mechanics in them, it's something I really hope they build on. 
e.g.

Spoiler

Monica and the Cosmic Cube mission is great, lots of take out parts, and hide behind pillars/DPS race elements

I very much enjoy just putting this on for half and hour, levelling up gear a bit (have all characters at 50), tweaking builds and play it more like a 3D streets of rage smash em up than a life eating Destiny/Division sort of affair. Helps I have a couple of friends that also enjoy the same so multiplayer is an option (the in game match making is a waste of time on xbox)

Edit: finished off the achievements today too 1000G
OrmpSm8.png

I think I have to revise my initial well at least it’s an alright-ish 6/10 single player game. The further I get the less narrative/properly designed levels there are and more and more shit destroy 3 waves of enemies stuff in bland arenas that feels like it came from some crappy mobile game.

5 hours ago, Harsin said:

I would love to read a detailed NDA breaking post-mortem of this project. It feels like the decision to turn it into Destiny/The Division may have come down from management fairly late in the day. Playing the campaign all signs point to the original plan being trying to make a Sony style cinematic third-person game before it went off the rails. It's a Frankenstein's Monster of a game. The start in particular feels heavily influenced by Insomniac's Spider-man walking around sections, albeit an Aldi own-brand version with janky animation where the characters look like they're ice-skating if you sprint. The story telling is pretty clumsy, you start contorlling a character and run around for ages watching her change size and have stretchy limbs, then it's played like a big shock that she has powers in a later custcene and then you get tutorial messages about how she has superpowers and how to use them. But still some 6/10 enjoyment to be gleaned from a GamePass entry (if I'd paid £60 would feel differently). Then suddenly eveything starts screeching to a halt every five minutes as you get tutorial messages about all the different currencies and upgrades and loot and daily challenges and blah, blah, blah. I've just got to the first 'Wartable' mission - the fact they thought that these would be something people would want to return to again and again is laughable.

See this doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to the game i've been playing. I'm not sure what you think the game would have been had it not been what it is from the start since you don't really get any time with any characters in the base campaign beyond some introductory missions. The only time you actually get to play them in any meaningful way is in the post game missions. The only shock part of Ms Marvel having powers I remember is her jumping to defend someone in one of the early missions and I didn't feel it was 'Oh i've got powers' It was 'Oh I didn't expect to react that way and punch a guy across the room'. The tutorials come when they seem appropriate in the movement and then in the combat section when she's forced to fight. In fact the story makes it clear that she was affected by the events of the prologue and that her dad has been encourgaing her to keep it a secret. Pretty sure she also mentions when you get to her hideout right at the start that she's pretty much the only one that would be able to get there. I really don't remember seeing any endless tutorial messages about currencies either.

I'll repeat what I said before in that I didn't even expect to like it. I had no interest in it and only installed it because a friend wanted to play it in multiplayer and i've been really surprised at just how much i've enjoyed it so far. Obviously it's difficult to judge based on a game a year later (although i've not played the Hawkeye and Black Panther operations yet) but having spent some 81 hours in the game so far, enjoying the combat with Black Widow, Captain America and Kate Bishop I really don't think I would have been unhappy with it if i'd bought it.

12 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I'm tempted to try this but it wouldn't download when it came out on Gamepass a few weeks back. Has anyone managed to download since?

A friend couldn't download it either to begin with but has managed to now. No idea if that means it's fixed or just a random issue though.

Just now, bcofn said:

A friend couldn't download it either to begin with but has managed to now. No idea if that means it's fixed or just a random issue though.

Thanks, if I can be bothered I will try it again.

On 09/10/2021 at 11:08, Harsin said:

Disney seem to be moving to a Game Workshop farming out IPs to anyone who flashes a bit of wallet model at them at the moment. I mean we're supposedly getting a David Cage Star Wars game announcement soon*shudder*.

I think David cage is the world's most embarrassing hack (even though detroit has some people fooled for reasons I don't understand) but I will 100% day one buy him doing a marvel IP just for the fantastic lols.

Did the Omega Level Threat mission tonight. It was ace, proper stupidly hard.
It's basically a raid style event, much much harder than anything else in the game.

Spoiler

You know the Super Adaptoid from the Kate Bishop DLC, well imagine him but now he can that can multiply into five of himself and non stop does Thors ults, stunlocks you to death with Cap's shield and pins you with Mjolnir etc.
It is very very hard.

More of this please, would make end game stuff well worth sticking around for.

On 17/10/2021 at 01:08, mechamonkey said:

Did the Omega Level Threat mission tonight. It was ace, proper stupidly hard.
It's basically a raid style event, much much harder than anything else in the game.

Hide contents

You know the Super Adaptoid from the Kate Bishop DLC, well imagine him but now he can that can multiply into five of himself and non stop does Thors ults, stunlocks you to death with Cap's shield and pins you with Mjolnir etc.
It is very very hard.

More of this please, would make end game stuff well worth sticking around for.

Managed to do this tonight and get my second exotic price of gear (neither fity playstyle sadly).

Thanks to a 200 champion level Hulk mainly who was a revive machine and tanked through like a trooper 

I'd quite happily pay for a load more omega level dlc, it's a huge step up from the rest of the content even at max challenge level (difficulty). 

Now rather looking forward to the forthcoming raid.